Rns 315 and bluetooth connection problem

Vene

Now i have new phone Samsung galaxy note8. the rns 315 and phone are connecting automatic only for calls but not media as it did with my old phon Samsung galaxy s7 edge. If I wont it to be connected with media to I need to do it maunal every time I sit in my car befor it connect automatic. Attach a Picture to see what I mean. Do you have any idea what to do to work properly?

20180222_200038.jpg

Edited by Vene

Have all previous phones been deleted?. I seem to remember this may be the issue. You should search the Rapid section for previous discussions on this.

also search online for the latest rns315 phone compatibility list. Maybe the Note8 isn't supported.

Edited by camelspyyder

8 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

^^^^ did it for you. RNS315 v's Note 8 on VWs website shows Bluetooth connectivity status Yellow.

Partial comparability then.

Can you please send me an link of this list. I can not find it. I google it but no results obout this compatibility list.

What the yellow status mean?

8 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

I can't copy the link. Just Google RNS 315 Bluetooth compatibility and the first site is the VAG UK one with the info. Choose 2013 Polo or similar to get RNS315.

Yes I find it. But as far I understand this, I have befor sanlmsung galaxy s7 edge but for functiality thesly show the same as samsung galaxy note8. S7 edge work perfect it connect by itself for media and calls. But on their site shows different. They have not test it shame on vag group. They should be more supportive.

Just now, camelspyyder said:

brand new phone vs 10 year old satnav? and you expect compatibility?

Yeah but it should be made like that to support newer phones.

I did not say it not support my note8. Just issue with connecting that I must do manualy.

So is there possible to upgread bluetooth on rns 315?

19 minutes ago, Vene said:

Yeah but it should be made like that to support newer phones.

I did not say it not support my note8. Just issue with connecting that I must do manualy.

So is there possible to upgread bluetooth on rns 315?

How are the manufacturers supposed to know when they built the unit what phones and features are going to be available further down the line? They can't design & build a unit with compatibility for phones which don't exist, can they?

34 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

How are the manufacturers supposed to know when they built the unit what phones and features are going to be available further down the line? They can't design & build a unit with compatibility for phones which don't exist, can they?

Of course brand new, previously unspecified features shouldn't work - nobody would expect them to.

However Bluetooth is a standard protocol that's been around for years.  People quite rightly expect that when they see the Bluetooth logo that it will be compatible with other products carrying that logo.  Anything built to that standard should theoretically work - that's kind of the point of having a standard.

I appreciate that in practice subtle differences in implementations and enhancements to the standards can create incompatibilities.   But I don't think the OP is unreasonable in expecting that the phone should work with the car.

Bluetooth is Bluetooth, right? Nope. Bluetooth streaming wasn't available when the initial Bluetooth format was developed, it came along some time after. Which is why everyone is changing their Bluetooth modules so that they can have streaming in their cars. Just because it still comes under the Bluetooth banner it doesn't mean everything Bluetooth is all encompassing and all features supported. It changes as new features are developed.

I just can not understand this. Let say rns315 bluetooth vesion is 4.0 and on the my phone is version 5. As far I understand the phone is supporting lower version of bluetooth. So that why it is strange to me why do not support.

If i had older phone i will be understand that the phone is not supported.

Edited by Vene

8 hours ago, Vene said:

I just can not understand this. Let say rns315 bluetooth vesion is 4.0 and on the my phone is version 5. As far I understand the phone is supporting lower version of bluetooth. So that why it is strange to me why do not support.

If i had older phone i will be understand that the phone is not supported.

But if your phone has features in V5 which the RNS315 can't understand as it's V4, what the hell is it supposed to do? It's not a magic box, it can't think and make a decision, it just does what it does. If it's being asked to do something it can't understand it doesn't matter what level of Bluetooth the phone supports. My Bluetooth kit in my car doesn't support streaming as it's too old. To get streaming (not that I want it) I need to change out the module for a newer one which does support it. Or maybe I could just tell it to learn a completely new protocol and just get on with doing what I want?

There are different levels of software and hardware for the RNS315, so maybe a newer unit will do what you require.

4 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

But if your phone has features in V5 which the RNS315 can't understand as it's V4, what the hell is it supposed to do? It's not a magic box, it can't think and make a decision, it just does what it does. If it's being asked to do something it can't understand it doesn't matter what level of Bluetooth the phone supports. My Bluetooth kit in my car doesn't support streaming as it's too old. To get streaming (not that I want it) I need to change out the module for a newer one which does support it. Or maybe I could just tell it to learn a completely new protocol and just get on with doing what I want?

There are different levels of software and hardware for the RNS315, so maybe a newer unit will do what you require.

Ok there people missunderstand what I mean to ask.

If my phone have newer bluetooth protocol and the rns 315 older why when i do manualy work but not automatic? So i can explain it this like that no mather what version is of bluetooth the phone. The phone have all the version supported so head unit can recognize it and it should connect. I find out this if the call audio connect first it is unable to connect media audio. So the first it need to connect media audio and than call and than call audio. This mess up the rns315. If could be fixed it will work prfect.

So if you say it the newer rns315 maybe have different bluetoot if so can be raplaced with my bluetooth?

12 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

I'm not an expert in Bluetooth standards but a quick Google shows V5 should be backwards compatible with V4.

In answer to the question of what it's supposed to do - progressive enhancement is quite common in other areas of technology. Sure, the RNS315 might not support some of the latest features but if the standard was well made then the phone could interrogate the stereo to find out what is supported.  Alternatively, the phone could chuck everything at the stereo and stuff that isn't supported is ignored on receipt.

HTML - the code that makes websites - works in this way. New web browsers might support new elements. Old web browsers don't crash when they load a web page that contains the new elements - it will just ignore it. WiFi also works similarly - you can connect an old device to a new device and it will work, albeit more slowly.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone I need HELP!! 

Hi everyone I need some help.. I have a 2012 Passant with the ( RSN315 ) Bluetooth and navigation everything was working good I was able to make calls it would load the contacts and play music make calls. The issue started some one day to the next the phone connected to the Bluetooth like it normally does except I am ((Now unable to listen to the music Everytime I hit the media button I get a message saying)) ( NO MEDIUM AVAILABLE ) I tried removing the battery for few hours , disconnecting the Bluetooth box underneath the passenger seat to reset it and Still no luck. I deleted the phone from the car and reconnected it as well as from my phone. I haven't changed phones or done any updates to it. I'm not sure what happened I've been doing lots of research and still haven't had any LUCK...the navigation and everything else is working great just I'm unable to listen to my phone's Media but I can still make phone calls and see the contact.... If someone can please help me give me advice as to what else I can try I would greatly appreciate it. I have the RSN315