Uneconomical to repair/write-off..........options?

robt100

AS a Background:
A Lorry had a blow out on the A14 on Tuesday, the debris damaged 6 other vehicles. Their insurance is saying they are not at fault as driver did required safety checks before driving, my insurer doesn't seem bothered to fight my corner and wants me to put it down as at fault (yes, because I put that tyre carcass on an unlit A-road on purpose....:dull:).
Car needs a front bumper, undertray and associated attachments to hold it on, plus a new A/C condenser and pressure switch. Got a feeling that's going to make it uneconomical to repair (car is probably £2-2.5k according do autotrader prices).

What are my options if this is the case? As I want to keep the car as its been trouble free for 110k miles and 4 years! Can I say to them to cancel the claim and I'll fix myself? Does it go to a case of buying back? OR cash in lieu of repairs? Spent over an hour on the phone but nobody seemed to want to explain further than " we will send it to the bodyshop and give you an extremely inadequate courtesy car for the job its needed for". Help of any sort is welcome!

WP_20180221_16_37_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20180221_16_37_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20180221_16_37_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20180221_16_37_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20180221_16_37_20_Pro.jpg

Edited by robt100
added images

Sorry no help, but can you please name the Insurance Company / Broker so that others can avoid buying Insurance from them.

Difficult, especially with these greedy barstewards that will spend spend spend on the courtesy car and run up bills with their 'partners' 

while providing little or no Customer Service to you the Customer.

Hopefully Experts and Insiders will be along to assist you.

Have everything said to you put in writing by them, and you might as well record conversations.  

All the best.

Also no help, but tyres do sometimes "just burst" without advance warning, or develop punctures after morning checks.

And, indeed, my first reaction to your OP was that you were driving faster than you could see clear in front of you.

4 hours ago, KenONeill said:

And, indeed, my first reaction to your OP was that you were driving faster than you could see clear in front of you.

55-60mph due to seeing hazard lights on cars pulled over at the side of the road. By the time you're brain has gone "somethings up" and slowed you've already hit the scene of the accident :sweat:

Right, had a word with my insurance company again regarding this subject, pretty much told if its more than they want to pay, as soon as its been assessed it will be a write off, whether i do the repairs outside insurance or get the pay out or otherwise, that if i did want to repair it, insurance will be cancelled from the day of my decision, and then i have 7 days to repair and re-MOT before they can re-insure (all the while they've kept all my premium money and want a bit more in admin costs if I repair it).

Thankfully, the assessment was tomorrow, so I've told them where they can put that and will be repairing myself in due course. Found out what was making the nasty noises and have removed/fixed that, the rest is just cosmetics, its not pretty but it does the job!