Looking at buying a used mk3 petrol vrs

You will not be disappointed. It is a fantastic car.

The gearbox is fantastic - I have had no issues. 

Extra spec is a matter of personal taste. 

I love my Columbus & Pano roof. I would have liked Canton too, but you have to take what you can get on the second hand market! 

If you see one you like, move quickly. They are in demand it seems! 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Columbus is nav / infotainment with the largest screen and Canton is the upgraded sound system with a bass unit in the boot. 

I'm loving my VRS TSI DSG, it's a great all rounder for my needs. No trouble so far approaching 40k. Immediately I think you'll notice a fuel economy drop compared to the diesel, though petrol is slightly cheaper to offset that. They aren't terrible on fuel but expect to average 30s rather than the 40s you might see on your diesel.

As for spec, Columbus and Canton were must haves for me. Winter pack (heated windscreen, front seats and washer jets) has been fantastic. Had plenty of use this week with early starts and 0c temps. Kessy (keyless entry and start) has also been very nice and useful. Spec is all down to personal preference and they don't come terribly specced as standard.

Gearbox is great and generally reliable as long as it's been serviced every 40k. Mine is nearly due its first.

9 minutes ago, bigmac1 said:

Only getting about 32 mpg around the town in the dirty diesel.

I really fancy a Golf R but they don't have the boot space I need. The other option is the Seat Cupra 280 tourer but I don't think the interior is as nice as the vrs

You can get the GolfR in estate form in case you didn’t know.      

The boot is the main reason for choosing an Octavia over a golf or Leon.

I have had my petrol vrs less than a month and am the happiest I have been with a car since I was a 20 something with my Audi 80 sport in the late 80s

Get it mapped and drive the ultimate sleeper at 300bhp

Go and test drive both the manual and the dsg. 

I was convinced I wouldn't like the auto box but it's a very clever bit of kit.

You can use it with the paddles like a racing car or you can let it get on with it and decide what gear it needs. It seems  with 6 gears to play with  it's better at deciding than I am. So i dont bother with the paddles.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 15:51, bigmac1 said:

Hi, I'm thinking about changing my 57 plate diesel vrs for a newer petrol one. What should I be looking out for in terms of extra spec.

Also does the DSG gearbox give much trouble?

Thanks

Ian

I think only extra cost of changing gearbox oil every 3 years at a cost of about £40, whereas manual gearbox oil sealed for the life of the car.

On 2/23/2018 at 20:51, bigmac1 said:

Only getting about 32 mpg around the town in the dirty diesel.

I really fancy a Golf R but they don't have the boot space I need. The other option is the Seat Cupra 280 tourer but I don't think the interior is as nice as the vrs

That's why I stopped buying SEAT's in 2005 because VW HQ decided to stop giving them old VW dashboards and the new ones were as good in quality as something from Toys R Us and we know what happened to them. Like you Golf simply doesn't offer a big enough boot for me and wife hates ESTATE's.

On 2/23/2018 at 22:33, maul said:

The boot is the main reason for choosing an Octavia over a golf or Leon.

I have had my petrol vrs less than a month and am the happiest I have been with a car since I was a 20 something with my Audi 80 sport in the late 80s

Get it mapped and drive the ultimate sleeper at 300bhp

Agree was behind Race Blue VRS Tdi MK2 yesterday and they could see my Black 245 behind them and thought they could pull away from me so after getting a mouthful of black smoke from their exhaust , they thoughtfully pulled over to let me by, pity they will never know I had 302bhp to play with

7 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Agree was behind Race Blue VRS Tdi MK2 yesterday and they could see my Black 245 behind them and thought they could pull away from me so after getting a mouthful of black smoke from their exhaust , they thoughtfully pulled over to let me by, pity they will never know I had 302bhp to play with

Amazing. 302bhp! :)

17 minutes ago, Tim1631 said:

Amazing. 302bhp! :)

I think that is what You get from a reputable remap on a standard mk3 tsi 

Mine was from quantum tuning. I hardly ever get to unleash all the horses. But when I do the grin on my face  is worth every penny.

18 minutes ago, maul said:

Mine was from quantum tuning. I hardly ever get to unleash all the horses. But when I do the grin on my face  is worth every penny.

I agree. I have a REVO IS38 turbo to be fitted with turbo muffler delete. 

Full 3 inch sports cat exhaust

REVO intake

REVO big brake kit

REVO stage 3 tuining/Remap

I am actually tempted to get a AWD conversation from Awesome GTI in Manchester. They have recently completed it on a FWD Cupra

29 minutes ago, maul said:

AmD did the work, if you tune into ITV4 this year you will see 2 MG and 2 Audi S3 saloons they have prepared. Their work is top drawer that's why I have had six cars mapped by them since mid 1990's. BTCC is quite competitive.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tim1631 said:

REVO intake

REVO big brake kit

I am actually tempted to get a AWD conversation from Awesome GTI in Manchester. They have recently completed it on a FWD Cupra

How much does the 4WD conversion cost?

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

How much does the 4WD conversion cost?

No idea yet I’m holding off at the moment. Using my brain instead of going straight in and getting it done

2 hours ago, Tim1631 said:

REVO intake

REVO big brake kit

I would love to see your rolling road torque and bhp data once you have that done

1 hour ago, maul said:

I would love to see your rolling road torque and bhp data once you have that done

Who knows

Ill need a need intercooler aswell for maximum performance. 

Plus then theres the suspension...

Edited by Tim1631

6 minutes ago, Tim1631 said:

320/330 possibly who knows

Ill need a need intercooler aswell for maximum performance. 

I was looking at all that then got it mapped at 303 and thought feck it that's enough wheelspin and traction control lights to cope with I'll save my money on the rest.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tim1631 said:

REVO intake

REVO big brake kit

@Tim1631 do you have a build thread? Would be interesting.