Iphone-MDI-USB

Hi All,

I've recently bought a Rapid 2013 1.2 TSI SE. Its fairly basic for features and no bluetooth/wheel controls but it does have a usb and aux input for the multimedia unit. I've read a bit on the forum about MDI and older ipods cables but can't find anything on newer iphones with lightning cables to work with the 'MDI' usb port. I tried directly plugging my iphone 6 in to the USB with my usual charging cable, it charges but phone says 'incompatible device attached' and will not talk to it.

I've looked to see if there any cables designed for iphone6 and the MDI system (this is not the glove box style MDI input but a USB). Some have usb to lightening cable and then aux on both ends, some have usb aux to just lightening cable.

Can anyone clear up if any of these cables work and how well they work? I have a usb stick that works with mp3s and an aux cable, but having a usb plugged in seem to disable the aux input, which is frankly annoying.

Cheers,

Josh

Thanks camelspyyder. No BT on mine.. I want to minimise the amount I have to touch my phone when driving, happy for Spotify to play on random but would be nice if i can at least skip track forward using the console... 

Hello, 

i have the same problem here, on a Rapid Spaceback (2015) with the basic Swing radio unit. When pluging my iphone (SE) on the usb port, it gives power to it but does'nt connect it to the Swing. Bluetotth audio is working fine but does'nt allow me to control the phone. I also wish i could, at least be able to skip songs.

Also, the phone functionalities are ok, i can give or take a call on the car, have access to my contact list etc... but i dont know if i m supposed to be able controlling Itunes or not.

I was wondering if maybe i should by this item : http://eshop.skoda-auto.com/cz/en/b2c/connecting-cabel-usb-for-apple-–-mdi--5e0051510ex But i dont really see what difference it can make with a standard Apple USB Lightning cable, and i dont wanna buy it for nothing. 

My other question is concerning the vocal command. I tried to make it work as described on the Skoda user manual, but nothing happend. Then i dont even know if my car has this option or not ;)

Thank you for your answers

Ben

MDI is just VW's Multimedia Device Interface (as Ben says, a USB + a 3.5mm). It was despised here on the Rapid Forums back in 13/14 because few could make it work properly.

Very few bought the outrageously expensive VAG cable, most looked for cheap ebay ones. @chrisgreen found one that worked.

The BMW MINI (even the 2018) has the same type of interface so some cables on ebay sold for that may work.

As I posted earlier a USB to litening does not seem to work, but a USB to Apple 30-pin (with a 30-pin / litening adaptor added) may do.

Edited by camelspyyder

Thanks for the responses. I have ordered a cheap ebay knock off:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-MINI-Y-Lightning-USB-to-AUX-Adaptor-Lead-Cable-For-Ipod-Iphone-5-5s-6-6s-UK/302423770800?_trkparms=pageci%3Adbddae3c-1b1d-11e8-929d-74dbd1806d37|parentrq%3Ad33ee1c81610ab6b349a0e39fffff6fc|iid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236

I'll let you know how it works. My belief is that it will charge and play music from the phone but won't give me any controls from the stereo block. 

UPDATE 

The above post cable DOES NOT WORK. It will charge the phone but it comes up with the message that the iphone is not supported and the auxillary input then doesn't work because the sound gets routed through the USB/lightening cable. 

Back to an auxillary in the phone and charging it from the 12v by the handbrake... bah.

Hello - sorry for the delay in getting to this thread.

@JWardSound - The cable you bought is a nasty fake, not the genuine BMW cable.

1) The MDI interface on the Rapid is extremely temperamental. 

The following options have been shown to work:

1) BMW USB+3.5mm to Lightning cable (this is an official "Made for iPhone/iPad" cable endorsed by Apple). Not cheap. You are looking at around £50 minimum for one.

2) Some older genuine and third-party USB+3.5mm to Apple Dock Connector cables, used in conjunction with a GENUINE Apple Dock Connector to Lightning adapter. Not cheap either, but potential cheaper than the BMW cable (just not as neat).

Dig out my earlier post on this for direct links to known working cables.

Even then, you have to plug things in a certain order to get them working. That's how quirky the MDI interface is. Start the car, plug in the MDI cable into the car, then plug in the phone. Do not start the car with everything plugged in, it will likely not recognise anything plugged in and will require you to turn the car off and on again to reset the interface. I wish I was kidding, but I'm not.

One caveat - it does seem that the MDI is less temperamental if you replace the head unit from a Swing to the Amundsen RNS315 nav unit (this change also makes the Bluetooth interface much more useable). It does seem that the Swing is the bottleneck in the Mk1 cars, its primitive firmware is what causes the add-on interfaces to underperform.

Edited by chrisgreen

Hi Chris - thank you very much for your detailed response. I'm not sure i fancy £65 on a cable that is that temperamental! I might just stick to my USB stick of tunes or a  3.5mm connector... I really don't want to use my phone for anything other than sat nav anyway and unless there is a slick system I think i'll stick to what works (albeit a bit clunky too...) Maybe i'll look into replacing it completely at some point with a decent system.

Hi,

so i've been trying with a 30pin cable and lightning adapter, and it does'nt work :-( 

So, it seems the only solution is to get this BMW cable ? Still, i dont understand why it needs an usb AND a minijack connection. USB is for the command, and mini jack for the audio ? It should be working all through the USB.....

Remember my old >100$ pioneer car system on my old Peugeot that was working just fine and so easily with the USB port :-D

1 hour ago, SwissSkodaOwner said:

Hi,

so i've been trying with a 30pin cable and lightning adapter, and it does'nt work :-( 

So, it seems the only solution is to get this BMW cable ? Still, i dont understand why it needs an usb AND a minijack connection. USB is for the command, and mini jack for the audio ? It should be working all through the USB.....

Remember my old >100$ pioneer car system on my old Peugeot that was working just fine and so easily with the USB port :-D

Quite why the likes of BMW and VW still use this antiquated dual connection system is a mystery - but it is what it is. Later cars with the updated infotainment system do, IIRC, support direct connection. But for the Mk1 cars - this is as good as it gets. Swapping out the Swing for an Amundsen is worth doing - not only does it improve the functionality of both MDI and Bluetooth (I assume you car already has factory-fitted Bluetooth - but the Amundsen is just a better radio/CD headhunt generally. It even sounds better.

Good condition, used Amundsen RNS-315 units (don't get the 310) can be found on ebay for about £250 including a GPS aerial that can be placed under the dashboard. Here's an example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Amundsen-RNS-315-RNS315-Navigation-System-HDD-GPS-RNS-510-V9-Maps-West/222077905024?epid=1868714575&hash=item33b4dfe880:g:Cc4AAOSw-RRXBiel

It's a worthwhile investment to make while you have the car and will be useful come resale time.

Upgrading to Amunsedn sounds like a good idea !! 

Is it possible to do it myself ? I'm not a expert but i allready installed some cars system in the past.

Will there be any problem with protection code ?

Will everything i allready have on the Swing still be working (on wheel controls, hand free phone, rear radar, etc ? )

p.s: sorry for my very poor english, becomes complicated when i have to use some technical words i only know in french :-D

Yes, you can absolutely do it yourself. Several of us have posted pics showing how to do it, but it really is a case of just unscrew the for bolts holding the Swing in, unplug the quadlock cable from the back of it, plug in the Amundsen (and feed in the GPS aerial cable, screw it all back together and you are done.

The Amundsen will be supplied with its protection code.

None of your car's functions will be lost by changing the Swing for the Amundsen - they will continue to work just as they did with the Swing in place - only better. For example, the parking radar display on the Amundsen is far superior.

You absolutely do not need a professional installation.

May I suggest one of these cheap Android stereos if you're considering upgrading:

http://xtrons.co.uk/head-units/custom-special-car/car-make-s-z/volkswagen/pb88unvp-android-8-octa-core-4gb-ram-32gb-rom-multimedia-dvd-player-with-8-display-custom-fit-for-volkswagen-seat-skoda.html

It's basically an in-dashboard Android tablet.  I have one in my Passat and it's really pretty good - I can't really imagine going back to an OEM system.

• You can install any sat nav app from Android store (my preference is HERE - which used to be Nokia - but you can use Google Maps, Tom Tom or anything else)
  • You can use your favourite music apps directly on the device - I listen to Google Play Music. I also use RadioPublic which is a podcast app.
  • Still connects to my phone via bluetooth for hands-free calls
  • Looks totally OEM - lights up Skoda green or VW red (there is a setting)

It's worth mentioning it did take a small amount of fiddling to get right (back and forward with the manufacturer installing updates) and there are a few rough edges if you dig into the menus - so if you want it to be plug and play and 100% slick it may not be for you.  But I'd still recommend it!  Looks ace too:

IMG_20170917_112356.jpg

IMG_20170917_112410.jpg

The Xtrons unit I mentioned should support some kind of screen-share, but when I tried it I didn't have much luck - your mileage may vary.  It's possible they've come on a bit since, or maybe there's another make of Android HU that has better support (I've heard good things about Joying also).

In all honesty though, Android Auto / Apple CarPlay is not something that seems necessary on these units since it's a fully-fledged Android device.  I can install any apps I care to directly onto the device.  All my stuff is cloud based these days anyway.

Edited by naxtek

1 hour ago, JWardSound said:

Thanks Naxtek for the recommendation. As an iphone user i'm looking at some of the apple play systems. 

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/car-stereos/pioneer-sph-da120-car-stereo-with-apple-carplay

I'm not sure it is compatible though....

Also, maybe it's just me but, any stereo I buy has to have physical controls for the basic stuff (change volume, skip tracks).  I do not want to be trying to work out a touch screen when I'm concentrating on driving and just want to turn it down or skip a track. 

Just thought it may be something you want to factor in - I assume there are Carplay compatible units that have a volume knob?