Kodiaq SE 1.4 125ps 7 Seater after market tow bar debacle

willcrick

TLDR:

Dont buy a Kodiaq SE 1.4 125ps 7 Seater without a tow bar and assume you can fit one later. You can, but you have to pay thousands to upgrade the cooling system first!!

OK, here is the full story. 

I bought a nearly new Skoda Kodiaq SE 1.4 125ps 7 Seater from Winchester Skoda http://www.winchestermotorgroup.co.uk/ on 30th September 2018. The model I was buying did not have a tow bar, but this was one of my key requirements. So I carefully reviewed the specs that Skoda release (http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/downloads/brochures/kodiaq_pricing_specs.pdf ) to ensure it was capable of towing. I also confirmed with the dealer that fitting an after market tow bar was possible. I did not get a firm quote at the time, as this was not possible, because the parts and details had not yet been released by Skoda (I checked that on forums to ensure this was correct). But the dealer thought that a price of around £1000 was a reasonable estimate. With that information, I decided to purchase the car from them. 

I then returned to the dealer around early November to get a confirmed quote for adding a tow bar. They initially gave us a cost over the phone of around £1200 (cant remember the exact figure) but then rang us back a few days later saying that he had got it wrong and that it was actually going to between 3 and 4K because they had found additional information Skoda had sent them about the cooling system requiring an upgrade which we complained about. After speaking to their manager, they then told us they could do it for around £3000 because they could reduce their hourly rate slightly. Unfortunately, this is still way too much money for a tow bar given the specs say that the car off-the-shelf should be able to tow the weight we wanted.

We complained to the manager about how when we bought the car this information should have been given to us. The manager said that they received the information after they had sold us the car and therefore we had to complain to Skoda, so they were not liable. We did this and went through the very friendly and helpful Skoda customer care team. It took some time, but it turned out Skoda Winchester received information about the cooling upgrade a month BEFORE they sold us the car, so in fact Winchester Skoda did know this information and could have told us when we bought the car. Skoda said it was therefore up to the dealer to sort this out and there was nothing they could do. I actually dispute this, as I believe they should also have updated the specifications of the car online to be inline with this information as it was known (they have still not done this, so the will happen again unless they take action). Anyway, we then got back to Winchester Skoda to tell them the situation, they said it was Skoda's issue and therefore there is nothing they can do. They also said that because they didn’t make any money when they sold us the car, they didn’t want to do anything. Very unprofessional indeed, I don’t believe for a minute they would sell us a car without making money on it in some way.

So now we are stuck between Skoda and Winchester Skoda both blaming each other. Both sides agree there is an issue, but no one is willing to take responsibility. We have therefore started a consumer rights complaint. As we were sold a car with specifications saying that it can do something (tow 1600KG), that it clearly cannot without an expensive cooing system upgrade. In addition to this, the dealer did not tell us at the time even though they had the information, they also told us that adding a tow bar would be easy. This misinformation led us to purchase the car. If we had been given the correct information at the time, we would NOT have bought that car, and would have looked to find the same model car but with a factory fitted tow bar. We have written two consumer rights letters to Winchester Skoda (based on this link which is very helpful should you have similar issues: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-complain-about-a-second-hand-car-to-a-dealer). We had no response to the first. To the second we had a letter saying there is nothing they can do (basically tough luck we mis-informed you). We are now sending a final letter saying that we will proceed to the Consumer Rights Ombudsman. I think we have a clear case. It is very disappointing that we have to go through this process just to ensure that large profitable companies such as this behave responsibly. 

The tow bar for us is very important. We are avid bike riders and want to use a bike rack that fits to the tow bar easily. In addition, we are looking to buy a (very small) caravan for family trips, as well as wanting to tow a trailer to haul building and garden materials from a house renovation project we starter in October. The lack of ability to tow a trailer has meant we have had to put building materials in the car which has now scuffed it (reduced its resale cost) as well as pay for skips to get rid of the waste (as well as spend hours bagging up building waste to take to the dump!). So the impact has now gone way beyond just having to spend extra money on a tow bar. 

I would normally be recommending this car, as I think it has the potential to be great. However, I would NOT currently recommend Skoda as a reputable company who take responsibility for the errors that they make, and I would especially not recomend Winchester Skoda as all they care about it making profit on individual sales and not long term customer relationships. If either company had waived the cost of the cooling system, I would be singing their praises., recommending them to all my friends and going back to buy another car from them in a few years when we want a newer model. Their short sightedness and lack of customer care will cost them more in the long run (as its mostly only labour costs they incur for the cooling system upgrade). I have already put off 2 of my friends who were looking to purchase a Kodiaq from Winchester Skoda, so they have already lost more money than they would have gained from sorting this out. What a shame that I have had to resort to public shaming of these companies, I hope that increasing the visibility of the issue will help others and maybe make them realise the seriousness of the issue.

So, buyers of Skoda Kodiaqs beware, if you want a tow bar, there are bunch of issues with lots of models. Other issues with the diesel models can be found in this post: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/profile/151898-h1ubs/ 

Here is my twitter conversation with Skoda, Skoda got back to me, but they said they found my previous complaint in the system and that it clearly stated that I should contact Winchester Skoda. Winchester Skoda never replied to the tweet.

Here is my Facebook review of Winchester Skoda, no letter so far (apart from those mentioned above):

I will keep this thread updated. Just in case either company actually comes through and does the right thing, or if the Ombudsman has a recommendation.

Will Crick 
(Not usually a person who complains on forums, but needs must)

Edited by john999boy
  • Like 1

Given the response from Winchester Skoda and Skoda UK I'd be asking for my money back.

The information provided at the point of sale was misleading, therefore the car was mis-sold.

• Like 2

An update. I just got a rather indignant letter from Winchester Skoda. They say that they did not have a record of us asking for a tow bar in the notes that the sales person wrote down when we bought the car and therefore there is nothing they can do. We bought the car after 2 previous visits (1 to have a look at it, the 2nd for a test drive). On all occasions we discussed adding a tow bar and also did the research online using the specs that Skoda provide (which are inaccurate). There are so many faults on Skoda and Winchester Skoda here (specs wrong, information not provided at time of sale, incorrectly saying they didn't have the information at time of sale, incorrect initial quotes, terrible customer trust) and they write to me basically saying that because their sales person was forgetful and didn't write something down, that i am at fault! Blimey, i am really taken a-back by their arrogance...

• Like 1

So what are the cooling system upgrades?

I seem to remember some other VAG cars that required upgrades for towing but I can't remember which ones, possibly the early generations of Q5 or Tiguan

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1

Is the upgraded cooling system required for all engines and specs?

Might be worth asking if Skoda UK are going to be honoring the warranty on this Kodiaq. It has an aftermarket fixed swan neck fitted.

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150PS SE 4x4 DSG...

5a91f455ed721_media(4).jpg.30bacd70410e6dd1c58cea97fc46b41c.jpg

Also, another trick to try to strengthen your argument.

I've just checked and it is possible to add the 'Towbar Preparation' factory option to your model Kodiaq without the upgraded cooling system @ £190.

By offering this option then Skoda UK are essentially allowing customers to add an aftermarket towbar after delivery without the upgraded cooling system.

If you are speccing the 'Towbar Preparation' on a new build are Skoda UK warning customers that if you fit an aftermarket tow bar your warranty is void if you don't also upgrade the cooling system? If they are (as Winchester Skoda tried to do too late) then whats the point of the 'Towbar Preparation' option on affected cars?

5a91f987f2d87_Capture(1).JPG.1e466dcb0a6af3ff9327ecdfc1dead9e.JPG

Capture.thumb.JPG.473f631d44ddb0fada012c2baf63fefd.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, silver1011 said:

it is possible to add the 'Towbar Preparation' factory option to your model Kodiaq without the upgraded cooling system @ £190

What is 'Tow bar Preparation' though? Common wisdom would suggest that it is just pre-wiring and stuff ready for one to be fitted... but maybe it also means that an upgraded cooling system is also installed at the factory (same as if you get the factory fitted tow bar)?

I think that's exactly it, the wiring is routed from the front of the car through to where the tow bar electrics would be located, but its done in the factory.

However a lot of aftermarket tow bar fitters claim it isn't needed though, not sure why.

I remember my neighbour paid circa. £200 for the 'towbar prep' on his Octavia which as far as I'm aware didn't include any cooling component upgrades. His tow bar fitter didn't use it in the end.

Its all a bit confusing really.

Don't forget this cooling upgrade could well be just a slightly bigger radiator and fan which from the factory would cost very little extra but adding it in later means in effect you have paid for 2 radiators, 2 fans and all the associated labour that goes with it

• 4 weeks later...

The core problem with the towbar is that it's part of skoda's policy of making cash on extras not on the car itself (not just skoda of course)

Adding the towbar costs them probably £50 extra but they charge £800 because it's easy money.

3rd party towbar people arn't interested in the 'towbar prep' because their kits are made to fit with or without it. I fitted mine myself for a£250 kit, but they can do an entire wired towbar for less than £400 fitted and they're still making money, so imagine how much skoda make from fitting it in the factory.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I added a fixed swan neck towbar to my Skoda Kodiaq Edition 4x4 190ps after I bought it and I am having electric problems with the rear assists and blind spot when my caravan is not connected and I put it in reverse the turn them selves off just Asif the caravan is connected. Also do I need to get the cooling system upgraded.

As discussed here you really need to take it back to the dealer and ask them to sort it, it was their 'recommended' fitter so between the dealer and the fitter they need to fix this for you.

Why would you take it to skoda if the towbar fitter has messed it up surely they need to fix it?

I would understand if their aftermarket towbar didn't do the electric bits like turn off parking sensors etc, but if they've stopped the car from working correctly even without the towbar fitted ten it's their problem to get it sorted...

Because I have been back twice and they and there technical team at headlys towbar don't know why it's happening so thought Skoda might be able to diagnose the problem them I would go back to headlys and get it fixed

Which is fine, but Headly's need to agree to paying a Skoda main dealers flat rate diagnostic fee on your behalf, they won't do it for free.

The fact you've now been back twice without resolution is already now not acceptable. They need to stand-up and be proactive in fixing this for you.

Time to be firm (but fair) with the towbar fitters.

• Like 1

Updated just been on phone to headlys they had another kodiaq in at the time of my call and the same was happening now headlys were brilliant they will put my car back to standard and I have to take it to Skoda because headlys say it's a problem with the car not they kit they use

Interesting, please let us know how you get on, sounds like it could be a problem that other Kodiaq owners are likely to come across.

I hope Skoda take the issue seriously too, I have a suspicion they'll plug the car in, see no logged faults and claim the car is fine.

What do Hedlys mean when they say they're putting it back to standard? Will the other elements of the towbar fitment still work or can the towbar not be used?