After two years and seven months of kerb-free motoring...

Gaz

Gah!! 

Pulled over in the dark last night to pick my daughter up from the bus stop outside her work and obviously wasn't paying enough attention :crying:

I'm so angry with myself :@

It's relatively shallow, so I'm wondering whether to tidy it up myself with a bit of wet n'dry.  But I'm just a bit hesitant in whether I ought not rub alloy away and would be better leaving it to a professional?

'kin kerbs :notme:

Gaz 

IMG_0462.jpg

• Sad 1

Ouch! I feel your pain here and would also be absolutely gutted.

Whichever option you decide make sure you sort it quickly. If the lacquer is broken on diamond cut wheels then they will start to go white and milky as moisture and dirt get under the top lacquer layer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kahunajb said:

Mine lasted less than two weeks before my wife did similar and multiple times since. You have done well to last that long.

My wife did the NSR on her Polo GTI within a month of having it.  Still not sure if I'm quite forgiven for my sharp intake of breath when she did it.

I've just been out and sanded off the sharp bits, but there's no way I can improve it, so I'll have it done properly.  A bit of me says don't bother coz of the (hopefully low) risk of it happening again, but the fact it's there will eat away at me :wondering:

Just found a thread that shows new ones still available from Skoda Ireland at 200 Euro, so worst case scenario... it's only a bloody wheel after all.

Gaz 

5 hours ago, V6TDI said:

Gah!! 

Pulled over in the dark last night to pick my daughter up from the bus stop outside her work and obviously wasn't paying enough attention :crying:

I'm so angry with myself :@

It's relatively shallow, so I'm wondering whether to tidy it up myself with a bit of wet n'dry.  But I'm just a bit hesitant in whether I ought not rub alloy away and would be better leaving it to a professional?

'kin kerbs :notme:

Gaz 

IMG_0462.jpg

This looks like there is very little damage, i did somthing similar a year ago, took them to a wheel referb shop, and i cant tell the difference, only 75 quid.

This looks like very little damage done so i think it may be posible to fix with out doing the whole wheel. Important as it may look out of place compared to the others.

• Thanks 1

you can get a full refurb and diamond cut which is the only way to fix this correctly, should be no more than £75, i was quoted £300 for all four.

Gemini's real PITA, that lip sticks out a lot. I've got some Xtremes to fit and the eagle F1 have a decent lip that will hopefully do a better job than the geminis.

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, O3SouthWales said:

I've got a set of alloygators on another car with diamond cut wheels. They get replaced at the same time as the tires.

I went for black rather than the outrageous colours.

Never had one come loose, and they've been well battered.

first time ive seen those, I wonder what they would look like on black extremes in red...

Cost me £100 including instalation from a Alloygators registered installer when the car was new.

Got a tyre place to fit them at the 1st tyre change, but next time I'll go back to a registered installer.

Their website had a search feature - plenty choice of installers. 

Edited by O3SouthWales

'kin tyres give no rim protection. 

Better half has an Audi TT that also uses 18 inch wheels but they come with bigger tyres (245 on the Audi and we have 225 on the Skoda). Is this why her rims are pristine? 

3 hours ago, TDIum said:

'kin tyres give no rim protection. 

Better half has an Audi TT that also uses 18 inch wheels but they come with bigger tyres (245 on the Audi and we have 225 on the Skoda). Is this why her rims are pristine? 

Depends, how wide are the wheels? Geminis are 7.5J, I would assume the Audi rim to be wider with stock 245.

7 hours ago, Orville said:

Let my wife drive your cars for a week. You'll never have to worry about kerbing your alloys again because there will not be any part of them left unkerbed.

You might be onto something there.  Our need for pristine being outdated.  Let 'kerbed' be the new uber-cool rat-look :cool:B)

Maybe.

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI
  • Like 2

On 26/02/2018 at 20:30, JohnnyType2 said:

i was quoted £140 from a major tyre dealer for alloygator four wheels in any colour, a local dealer, not national, but one of the big independents.

Does this sound about right?

I paid £100 at a Citroën dealership 3 years ago. £140 sounds close enough.

Only worth doing with new/newish tyres, as they do not always survive the next tyre change. 

• Like 1