2015 Yeti Driveshaft Noise

GABBYRUE

Our 2015 Yeti (2wd Petrol DSG) seems to make a noise as you pull away quickly, especially when turning at the same time.

Anybody had similar noise, sounds like a driveshaft clicking? thanks

Yes my 2010 Yeti did exactly this from new.

Went back to the garage several times.

From memory they changed the clutch and dmf, shock absorbers, driveshafts, bushes, joints etc and never solved it.

Car went back to lease company at 65k miles and 4 years old still doing it. Nothing actually failed though and car never broke down.

Sounded like a ratchet clicking when new, but changed to a grinding noise with wear.

I personally think it was an anti roll bar joint which was semi seized and clicked as it moved. As the car accelerates the nose rises and by going around a corner at the same time it woks the anti roll bar.

Could be a stone caught in disc brake? I had this and it made a variety of squeals, rattles and horrifying crunches. Usually made noises on starting and turning at slow speeds although could happen anytime.

Dealer had to strip brake down to get it out - a beautifully polished piece of quartz hard stone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Urrell said:

Probably driveshaft constant velocity joints worn or failed.

Thanks, Yes i thought it sounded like that but with about 20k miles I thought maybe it was a built-in fault that many other owners had experienced

14 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

2015 car could still be under warranty, so take it into the dealers and get them to check.

Yes it is until August so I will do that soon, thanks

12 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Yes my 2010 Yeti did exactly this from new.

Went back to the garage several times.

From memory they changed the clutch and dmf, shock absorbers, driveshafts, bushes, joints etc and never solved it.

Car went back to lease company at 65k miles and 4 years old still doing it. Nothing actually failed though and car never broke down.

Sounded like a ratchet clicking when new, but changed to a grinding noise with wear.

I personally think it was an anti roll bar joint which was semi seized and clicked as it moved. As the car accelerates the nose rises and by going around a corner at the same time it woks the anti roll bar.

I was afraid of visiting the dealer with it incase they started tearing it apart and not finding anything!

It does sound like a ratchet clicking, as you pull away, like turning from a junction quickly. I thought I'd ask on here before going to the dealer and leaving it with them

2 hours ago, GABBYRUE said:

I was afraid of visiting the dealer with it incase they started tearing it apart and not finding anything!

It does sound like a ratchet clicking, as you pull away, like turning from a junction quickly. I thought I'd ask on here before going to the dealer and leaving it with them

My car would do it when accelerating very hard in 1st or 2nd gear in a straight line, slightly less acceleration would cause it when turning to right at same time. Never did it when turning left out of a junction!

Hence I don't see how it could have been the constant velocity joints. Told the garage that but I think they were too keen to get expensive warranty repairs done at Skodas cost.

Gave up eventually and lived with it in year 4, as about 4 attempts to stop it by the dealer didn't work.

It was getting noticeably worse around 60k miles though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Tiguan did the same - everything was inspected and they took out and regreased CV joints, then they loctited the shafts in the hub as there was a recall for it - car did 50K miles - never got worse.

My Yeti has the same issue (7K miles) and its louder than on the Tiguan - seems to be worse after the recent snow.

I will mention it when it goes in for service.. but do not expect any fix based on multiple attempts to fix the same issue on Tiguan.

Mine is more noticeable on reverse - with wheel turned right - but there when turned left too in reverse or forward.

Thanks for that, I would love to know what they say on the service. I'm going to take ours in before the warranty runs out in August. Interestingly, ours hardly does it at all when my wife is driving?

• 2 weeks later...

I also had this ratchety noise which at first seemed to be coming from behind the radio. Only there when pulling away and changing gear. After some investigation I think I have found the source.

The air filter inlet is just behind the grill and is attached to the engine via a flexible plastic tube. If you get hold of the box and flex it slightly it gives of a ratchety noise. I eventually traced this to the plastic joint where it attaches to the grill - not the flexible tube. Some WD40 on the plastic joint and the noise has gone :-)

Not sure if the plastic air intake is the same on a petrol and a diesel car, but I have only had this noise on this petrol model.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just been and pulled and pushed the are box pipe and theres no noise, but ill give it some wd40 and see what happens. Thanks

If it was a driveshaft - as others have suggested - I don't think you would confuse it with a rattle from behind the radio or anywhere near the dash. More likely to be heard on hard lock at low speed - and it wouldn't matter who was driving! Noise would definitely be heard coming from the side of the problem and from the wheel/drive.

1 hour ago, GABBYRUE said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just been and pulled and pushed the are box pipe and theres no noise, but ill give it some wd40 and see what happens. Thanks

My noise was most notable when the car was cold and did dissappear when really warmed up. Being as the airbox is above the radiator it would have got warmer with use and presumably the plastic became less brittle. Spraying the air box with WD40 from the front of the grill is easier than dismantling the box but you might want to take the lid off it (only clips on) to mop up any residue of WD40 that gets inside the box.