Leather seats

Geome

I have a Skoda Superb mk111 with leather seats

l find the seats very uncomfortable and no amount of adjustment seams to suit me 

l would value other people’s opinions on the seats especially the drivers seat

46 minutes ago, PSM said:

Is it the seat or the back that is not comfortable? Or a combination or the 2. Which model do you have?

I have the Sel Ex estate purchased July it is the whole seat l don’t know whether l am better off low down high up l just can’t get comfortable 

8 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Difficult one to answer really without specifics of what your problem is. No problems for me and that includes an 8 hour stint.

Perhaps it is just me 

l think there too many adjustments on the seat

I should be picking my SEL in a week or so. Hopefully I do not have the same issue. Is it uncomfortable straight away or after a bit of time. Are you tall? What bit of your body hurts? Is it back or legs etc?

Got an Octy II with leather seats at moment and seats have been fine on that for me.

I've recently become an OAP (hate the idea of being one, but there's not much I can do about it!) and I've had a fair share of back and joint pains over the years and have had problems with some cars in the past.  However, I find the Superb seats are fine.  I took SWMBO to Stansted Airport from Brecon last week and drove back home the same day and the journey took 8½ hours driving per the display, so this excluded any stops, and I stepped out of the car when I got home with no problems, aches or pains.

As mentioned in other posts, there are very many seat adjustments and it can take time to find the ideal setting.  If you have electric seats, you need to make sure the angle of the seat cushion is correct as it is easily overlooked.  I find I need just enough support for my legs, but not too much that the seat is pressing into the back of them. 

The other adjustment you need to make to get the most comfortable position is the steering column, which is sometimes overlooked.  I would like it to come closer to me than the maximum adjustment allows and I think a few others have comment the same on other posts.

This probably has nothing to do with the comfort of the seat, but I do not tie my shoelaces very tight if I'm driving any distance.  When you are sitting for some time, your feet can swell slightly and can make you shoes very tight and uncomfortable and is not good for the circulation.  I also prefer to wear a light shoe whenever possible (light in weight; not colour!).  

I have the SEL too, and can't say I have any complaints about the seat comfort. Agree with earlier posters about there being many adjustments and it may take time to find the most comfortable for you - and a good point about steering wheel adjustment too.

My biggest complaint about the seats is about the quality of the stitching at the side bolster of the driving seat - mine looks like it's coming apart after doing only 8,000 miles with a slim-ish bloke getting in and out. I'll be keeping a close eye on that.

I've had this on each of the Superbs I've owned. It's just a matter of trial and error and eventually I find the right position for me. Then it's really comfortable. I agree there are too many possible adjustments on the electric seats - it would be good if there were a "default" position from which you could start and then tweak.

my advice start at the begining.

first get the seat the right distance back so the pedals are just right  so you can comfortably have your foot either right down or right up without any effort.then put your hands on the wheel so with your arms straight you can easily hold the top of the stearing wheel you may have to play around with the steering wheel settings for that then adjust the back rest so your back is supported in your normal driving position if you find yourself leaning forward to do things or your shoulders are not touching it, you have it too far back. height and lumbar support are just a matter of preference. everyone is different but thats the basics. sorry if its a bit mansplainey.

2 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

I've had this on each of the Superbs I've owned. It's just a matter of trial and error and eventually I find the right position for me. Then it's really comfortable. I agree there are too many possible adjustments on the electric seats - it would be good if there were a "default" position from which you could start and then tweak.

I'm the only one who drives our car as SWMBO's never driven (never had a licence or tried).  To help with the default position and try slightly different positions when driving to see how I get on, I've used each of the 3 memories for my own settings.  If I find one I prefer, I can go back to it and I can change any I don't get on with.  

Once I have my ideal position, I select memory 1 and save it.  I then select memory 2 and move the seat base and backrest backwards a fraction and memorise it.  If I'm on a long journey and on a quiet motorway using ACC, I select this position that's slightly more relaxed but I'm satisfied I'm still in full control.

So overall, I do keep slightly adjusting my seat position. 

It's not that I am uncomfortable but I do think the pedals are a little too close or the steering wheel is slightly short on reach.

I too may need to start again.

I seem to be reaching slightly for the steering wheel even though it is fully extended. 

I have just been out in my other car and the steering wheel has bags of adjustment and I feel more comfortable. 

22 hours ago, Geome said:

find the seats very uncomfortable and no amount of adjustment seams to suit me 

I always have to spend a while finding the sweet spot with a new car. When I first had the S3, I came from driving a C class and SWMBO's Jag. The seat felt just that little bit too short for a while. However, after following the guidelines in the attached link I have found that the seats are adequately comfortable. SWMBO now has a Volvo and getting into the S3 after that is a bit like sitting on the front step but it only takes a couple of minutes to settle down. Also modern production quality leather (?)  seats do take a while to soften.

Try a read through this and see if it helps to find that comfort zone.

http://www.physiomed.co.uk/uploads/guide/file/21/Physiomed_Sitting_Guide_-_Driving_Digital.pdf

1 hour ago, Sagalout said:

I always have to spend a while finding the sweet spot with a new car. When I first had the S3, I came from driving a C class and SWMBO's Jag. The seat felt just that little bit too short for a while. However, after following the guidelines in the attached link I have found that the seats are adequately comfortable. SWMBO now has a Volvo and getting into the S3 after that is a bit like sitting on the front step but it only takes a couple of minutes to settle down. Also modern production quality leather (?)  seats do take a while to soften.

Try a read through this and see if it helps to find that comfort zone.

http://www.physiomed.co.uk/uploads/guide/file/21/Physiomed_Sitting_Guide_-_Driving_Digital.pdf

Thank you for the link 

l think you have made a good point about the leather seats perhaps that is the problem 

• 3 years later...

I can't complain about the seats in the superb at all. They are very comfortable and this is my second superb with leathers, first was a SEL and now I have a L&K. 

Btw what type of leather are the seats made of? F.e some cars have Nappa leather.

Had the l&k leather seats with massage function.

Drove the car for about 140000km but never really got comfortable in the seat. It did feel comfortable but I always got a soar back after a few hours in that car.

Now with another brand of car I can drive a whole day without any pain.

My colleague that had the exact same spec as me never had any problem with the Superb a seats. Must be down to the bodyshape of the driver :)