Remaps

Probably taken up many times before but is it safe to remap a TDi vRS pd170? Was checking some statistics some were around 200 and 230 (60bhp seems a bit much) differences in power MFk here in Ireland calculated at 215 being normal increase according to their calculator, I'm looking for the economy over power setup and what implications will a remap bring like lights on dash or sore on injectors or anything else I should expect etc, are the differences noticeable? If anyone from Ireland or NI recommend a good place for remaps if so?  P.S I'm not a boy racer so the Isn't hammered 24/7

thanks!

I won't be removing DPF or EGR as this is in processing of being patched by NCT/MOT

Or if any other options would be better like tuning boxes etc 

Edited by JacksVRS

15 hours ago, JacksVRS said:

Probably taken up many times before but is it safe to remap a TDi vRS pd170? Was checking some statistics some were around 200 and 230 (60bhp seems a bit much) differences in power MFk here in Ireland calculated at 215 being normal increase according to their calculator, I'm looking for the economy over power setup and what implications will a remap bring like lights on dash or sore on injectors or anything else I should expect etc, are the differences noticeable? If anyone from Ireland or NI recommend a good place for remaps if so?  P.S I'm not a boy racer so the Isn't hammered 24/7

thanks!

I won't be removing DPF or EGR as this is in processing of being patched by NCT/MOT

Or if any other options would be better like tuning boxes etc 

what's you engine code?

I don't think you have a DPF on the old PD engines. I know the BKD lump doesn't

totally safe to remap ..as long as the one doing it knows what they're doing of course

you wont be getting anywhere near 230 that's stage 2 territory more economy over power you'll be looking at around 190.  200 is about the norm / safe much more than this your going to start pushing your parts

Funny I did some research into that but she is registered as a PD170 in March 2008 unless it's wrong I thought it would've been a CR170 with the DPF but 200 does sound about right so I'll probably go that for safety it'll be easier on the clutch too thanks for the reply

19 hours ago, JacksVRS said:

Funny I did some research into that but she is registered as a PD170 in March 2008 unless it's wrong I thought it would've been a CR170 with the DPF but 200 does sound about right so I'll probably go that for safety it'll be easier on the clutch too thanks for the reply

BKD 140 bhp without DPF filter Bosch
AZV 134 bhp without DPF filter Bosch
BKP 140 bhp without DPF filter Siemens VDO Piezo injectors 
BMA 136ps without DPF  Siemens VDO Piezo injectors 
BVE 122ps without DPF  Siemens VDO Piezo injectors 
BWV 120ps without DPF Siemens VDO Piezo injectors 
BMM 140 bhp without a DPF filter Bosch injectors.
BMN 170 bhp - bigger turbo and Siemens VDO Piezo Injector engines with DPF
BUZ 163ps  - bigger turbo and Siemens VDO Piezo Injector engines with DPF
BVA 163ps - bigger turbo and Siemens VDO Piezo Injector engines with DPF
BMR 170 bhp - bigger turbo and Siemens VDO Piezo Injector engines with DPF
BRD 170 bhp - bigger turbo and Siemens VDO Piezo Injector engines with DPF

Another question the difference  noticeable in terms of economy and power? For 200bhp?

yes you will notice it 30bhp is a fair amount to gain in one go. as for economy well that depends on your driving style but generally you wont have to make your engine work so hard so you should see an increase but if you nail it everywhere probably not.

a thing to note, a remap will make you parts wear out faster so bare that in mind, depending on your mileage might be looking at a new clutch and flywheel a lot sooner

I know there'll be a bit more wear in general but does that depend on driving style? What the best high performance clutch and flywheel and how much would it cost as I'd assume the car being at 106kmiles it'll probably be due a shout in the next while.

If you keep within 300lb ft of torque the clutch will be fine, driving style also accounts for a lot of wear, people tend to boot diesels in 5 or 6th which causes a lot of strain on the clutch and flywheel, best to go through the gears.

I've mapped a few, a couple of clutches slipped but the owners knew that anyway as they slipped in top gear before.

I had a 130pd Passat I bought with 198k on it and mapped it myself to 175 and 290lb ft and the clutch was fine for the 40k I put on it and had no issues, was still going strong when I sold it.

A lot of people get remaps and then drive like 'loons' to explore the power, if you just do your normal driving style and only use the power when needed then very little will change, the boost is a tad higher but well within limits if it's done correctly.

If yours is a PD I can do it for you but if you want a company to do it then Torque Tronix or Autotune do it for around 200-250, although if you want to spend a bit more the best man is Paul at Dubtech, he knows everything about VAG's.

One thing though, mapping companies only stand by their maps not buggering up the ECU, if anything fails like turbo or injectors etc they will not be liable as it could be wear and tear pre map that the map just shows up.

First thing though get it scanned and logged with VCDS to see if there any pre existing faults that need looking at, I am not far from you and can scan it for you for free.

Edited by T2000
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, T2000 said:

If you keep within 300lb ft of torque the clutch will be fine, driving style also accounts for a lot of wear, people tend to boot diesels in 5 or 6th which causes a lot of strain on the clutch and flywheel, best to go through the gears.

I've mapped a few, a couple of clutches slipped but the owners knew that anyway as they slipped in top gear before.

I had a 130pd Passat I bought with 198k on it and mapped it myself to 175 and 290lb ft and the clutch was fine for the 40k I put on it and had no issues, was still going strong when I sold it.

A lot of people get remaps and then drive like 'loons' to explore the power, if you just do your normal driving style and only use the power when needed then very little will change, the boost is a tad higher but well within limits if it's done correctly.

If yours is a PD I can do it for you but if you want a company to do it then Torque Tronix or Autotune do it for around 200-250, although if you want to spend a bit more the best man is Paul at Dubtech, he knows everything about VAG's.

One thing though, mapping companies only stand by their maps not buggering up the ECU, if anything fails like turbo or injectors etc they will not be liable as it could be wear and tear pre map that the map just shows up.

First thing though get it scanned and logged with VCDS to see if there any pre existing faults that need looking at, I am not far from you and can scan it for you for free.

Thanks for your response that's a good point about the VCDS although I've had no jerking or slipping so far anyways thank god 400 for a clutch kit, I'm not a boy racer as far as power goes don't even explore the 170 as is more looking to try get above 38mpg as I'm averaging 41-45mpg on a good day, have you got your LE vRS remapped? 

thanks for the advice btw.

I haven't had the LE VRS mapped as I can't do CR models, I have been in touch with Paul at Dubtech and it was £350 for a remap, I bought a cheap DTUK tuning box which plugs into the fuel and turbo, not ideal but it gives a decent punch, I may be changing cars soon so thought I would leave it for now.

I have had a 130 and 150 Bora that mapped really well, also a Skoda Superb MK1 130 that went nice with 165bhp, also the Passat I had last was great with 175bhp, never had any issues with any of them, PD's map quite well and I miss that PD punch, the CR is more petrol like in it's delivery.

One that really shocked me was when I mapped a 100pd Fabia to 130bhp, that little thing flew as the smaller turbo spools up quicker, good around the twisties ;-)

I must have done nearly 100 PD remaps and they all went great and never had an issue, had a few people come back with more cars for mapping, I keep them within safe limits, keep getting asked for popcorn limiters and launch control and give me smoke but I don't get into that.

If you are struggling to get more than 45mpg in reality a remap isn't going to help that much, you should be seeing 50plus on a PD with light driving, I never really saw below 40mpg in my Passat and that was when I hammered it, have seen 60mpg at 60-70mph on a motorway.

The LE averages 47mpg and that's mainly A roads and town driving, motorway bumps it up more although in this weather diesel mpg goes down, it picks up when the weather is warmer.

yea I mainly use car in weekend because of college just could be weather too but lot of its just slow driving around and about, yea I did notice with the PDs a bit of lag and bit of changing through the gears and I heard this was rectified in the CR models.

Yea my driving usually involves short distance driving one day and 2-3 hrs another day, I'm not expecting anything serious I get 40 45 mpg on average and with some miller oil additive will get 45 easy

• 8 months later...
On 27/02/2018 at 08:38, Gissin said:

BKD 140 bhp without DPF filter Bosch
AZV 134 bhp without DPF filter Bosch
BKP 140 bhp without DPF filter Siemens VDO Piezo injectors 
BMA 136ps without DPF  Siemens VDO Piezo injectors 
BVE 122ps without DPF  Siemens VDO Piezo injectors 
BWV 120ps without DPF Siemens VDO Piezo injectors 
BMM 140 bhp without a DPF filter Bosch injectors.
BMN 170 bhp - bigger turbo and Siemens VDO Piezo Injector engines with DPF
BUZ 163ps  - bigger turbo and Siemens VDO Piezo Injector engines with DPF
BVA 163ps - bigger turbo and Siemens VDO Piezo Injector engines with DPF
BMR 170 bhp - bigger turbo and Siemens VDO Piezo Injector engines with DPF
BRD 170 bhp - bigger turbo and Siemens VDO Piezo Injector engines with DPF

Bump.

I have a BMM with DPF in a 2007 Scout. How does this combo respond to remapping? I'm considering (ie: trying to persuade SWMBO...) a Shark St1 at Unit18 in MK. Comments on choice of product/tuner please?

Cheers.

TnC

9 hours ago, tintinandcharlie said:

Bump.

I have a BMM with DPF in a 2007 Scout. How does this combo respond to remapping? I'm considering (ie: trying to persuade SWMBO...) a Shark St1 at Unit18 in MK. Comments on choice of product/tuner please?

Cheers.

TnC

Had mine remapped at Unit 18. Ally over there can't do enough for you and he really knows VAG engines. I had a few problems with mine, seal gone on turbo, dirty fuel injectors etc. He sorted it out when the remap showed up the faults. I live at least an hours drive from them, but I know who I am going to use for any big jobs on my car such as clutch, flywheel etc. Can't recommend them enough. Tell Ally, that the guy with the Octy VRS with all those annoying faults he had to sort out during remap about a year ago, sent you.

4 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

Had mine remapped at Unit 18. Ally over there can't do enough for you and he really knows VAG engines. I had a few problems with mine, seal gone on turbo, dirty fuel injectors etc. He sorted it out when the remap showed up the faults. I live at least an hours drive from them, but I know who I am going to use for any big jobs on my car such as clutch, flywheel etc. Can't recommend them enough. Tell Ally, that the guy with the Octy VRS with all those annoying faults he had to sort out during remap about a year ago, sent you.

I have mine remapped for over a year now, BMN 2008 PD170 mapped to 220BHP with K&N panel filter and a taste of Millers oil additive to keep the injectors and stuff clean so sitting around 230 BHP give or take 5 depending on conditions (ECU was sitting at 181.1BHP before map from factory. No problems at all, due to being PD can be quite violent when the power kicks in, can be sore on tyres until you get used to the increase in lift usually around 2500~ 2850rpm if not the tyres will spin all day long. Great power and economy is definitely +3mpg if driven normally. Depending on your driving style, the car shouldnt really spring any faults unless it had a hard life, but definitely worth it imho. Tbh I though the clutch would've needed replaced by now but nothing, been mapped for almost 20,000miles.

Jack

16 hours ago, roaddetective said:

Tell Ally, that the guy with the Octy VRS with all those annoying faults he had to sort out during remap about a year ago, sent you.

Will do. Is that gonna get me a discount or abuse? :biggrin:

Thinks: Do they do a Briskoda discount? Is that a Brisky Discy?:D

TnC