What tyres on Crater alloys?

El Dingo

As per the title...

What tyres are arriving at the moment - we are expecting to pick up over Easter.

I don't think Michelin are making a Cross Climate in this size yet. So I'd also be interested in peeps experiences with 1.5 TSi front wheel drive cars and what tyres they have fitted.

I'm hoping NOT to get Pirellis as I have P7's on my Superb and they are simply terrible in the wet but downright dangerous in the cold and wet.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 14:05, El Dingo said:

As per the title...

What tyres are arriving at the moment - we are expecting to pick up over Easter.

I don't think Michelin are making a Cross Climate in this size yet. So I'd also be interested in peeps experiences with 1.5 TSi front wheel drive cars and what tyres they have fitted.

I'm hoping NOT to get Pirellis as I have P7's on my Superb and they are simply terrible in the wet but downright dangerous in the cold and wet.

We have Michelin Primacy 215/50 R18 on 1.5Tsi petrol manual SEL and they seem pretty good after 2 months. Fairly quiet and decent economy best of 53MPG. Impressed so far and being Michelin's normally last forever.

Pirelli P7 on my 1.5 Edition. Reasonably quiet on good road surface but noisier than my Octavia Bridgestone on the concrete sections  of the A180. However I had recently noticed that the rubber on the Bridgestones seemed to be going hard and the ride was nowhere near what it used to be and the grip on icy roads was terrible, this is after 25,000 miles and 3 years of age. 

• 3 months later...
On 15/07/2018 at 13:05, Muzz said:

Hi 

my karoq edition with the crater 19” wheels came with Bridgestone potenza tyres

D402AB2D-852F-47A8-A3AD-C56048428F4D.jpeg

FB485C4C-7DC4-443B-A14B-CD90E25762C5.jpeg

Mine came with the same make But 17's    1.0 SE

My Edition came with Bridgestone Duellers on the Crater 19" wheels. Terrible on the bad snow we had at the beginning of the year, but fine ever since. Won't be risking them next winter though - hopefully getting a set of full winter tyres when available. 

This might be heresy to some in here, but I seriously question the wisdom of 19" wheels and /45 series tyres on a Karoq. Mine came with 18" /50 series Bridgestone Turanza's, which were noisy as heck, but of course quite responsive in braking and cornering. after a few thousand miles, they were replaced with 17" Michelin CrossClimate 225/55 series tyres.

The result is that the car is very much quieter, and handles like the tyres and suspension tuning is much more harmonious. Much more like my much loved Yeti's. On top of that, in our climate, there is no need for SERIOUS snow capability tyres in winter, so a capable summer tyre with excellent dry and wet and ice performance, but "not quite up to the "real" winter snow tyre" snow performance seems a sensible and economical solution. No twice annual change of wheels, no storage problems and a decent trade-in price for the " almost new" original wheel/tyre combination.

If the look of the 19inchers and the skinny tyres floats your boat, so be it - but they will be terrible off-road and in the winter.

Edited by Agerbundsen

13 hours ago, Agerbundsen said:

This might be heresy to some in here, but I seriously question the wisdom of 19" wheels and /45 series tyres on a Karoq. Mine came with 18" /50 series Bridgestone Turanza's, which were noisy as heck, but of course quite responsive in braking and cornering. after a few thousand miles, they were replaced with 17" Michelin CrossClimate 225/55 series tyres.

The result is that the car is very much quieter, and handles like the tyres and suspension tuning is much more harmonious. Much more like my much loved Yeti's. On top of that, in our climate, there is no need for SERIOUS snow capability tyres in winter, so a capable summer tyre with excellent dry and wet and ice performance, but "not quite up to the "real" winter snow tyre" snow performance seems a sensible and economical solution. No twice annual change of wheels, no storage problems and a decent trade-in price for the " almost new" original wheel/tyre combination.

If the look of the 19inchers and the skinny tyres floats your boat, so be it - but they will be terrible off-road and in the winter.

I agree I think the 19" wheels should have been optional and it actually made me purchase the SEL for my wife instead for the improved ride quality but also decent performance in 2" of snow back in March. Have recently read that 20" standard wheels on Kodiac Sportline have also ruined the ride on the normally comfortable and capable Kodiac.

15 hours ago, Agerbundsen said:

...and a decent trade-in price for the " almost new" original wheel/tyre combination. 

How did you go about this? 

I'm seriously considering changing the 19s in ours for 18s, possibly even 17s. 

I have a long term relationship with my dealer. They frequently get requests from buyers of new or used cars for upgrade wheels and tyres. So I ordered a set of new 17"wheels with Michelin CrossClimate tyres and traded the "old" ones in. They allowed about 50% of the new price for the used wheels, so with their good discounts on the new wheels I got the wheels I wanted at a lower price than buying a set of wheels with winter tyres.

The 18" Skoda wheels with a 45 mm off-set fit many other Skoda and VW vehicles - basically all of those built on the MQB platform, so can be offered to another car buyer.

Another alternate is to sell the old wheels on the internet. If you do not try to get the last few pennies out of the deal, they will sell quickly.