Android Auto...brilliant!

Out and about today and hooked up my new Android phone to the car with Android Auto. Haven't used Android Auto before. Running Android 7.0 Nougat on the phone. It opened up with Google Maps and that lovely lady who does the voice over giving instructions. Found my destination no problem. For a freebee, it's brilliant. We didn't go for the Sat Nav option when we ordered the car because the car normally stays on roads we know and my Sat Nav is used more on my bikes. I tend to use two wheels for my long distance stuff these days... What do you guys think of Google Maps as the Sat Nav? Have any of you found a better app?

I stream Google play music through it too. It's great asking for songs using voice control.

And yes the Google lady sounds very calming and nice.

I can download the android auto app on to my Huawei p8 but when I try to connect it to my infotainment centre it comes up with 'usb error' message.

I guess the phone is not compatible, which is a shame as I would have liked the sat nav to be incorporated into the infotainment screen.

I've tried a few different map apps and in my opinion, Google maps beats them all by miles. Little things such as telling you which lane to get in at a roundabout seems to be accurate 95% of the time. Beats the inbuilt sat nav I use to have in my Focus.

On 04/03/2018 at 14:07, Estate Man said:

What do you guys think of Google Maps as the Sat Nav? Have any of you found a better app?

I prefer Waze in general - although that's primarily because Google Maps looks a little bit "washed out" on the infotainment screen. It also seems to be better at routing around traffic and incidents - although maybe that's just my perception...

On 3/4/2018 at 17:27, Skinneroo said:

I can download the android auto app on to my Huawei p8 but when I try to connect it to my infotainment centre it comes up with 'usb error' message.

I guess the phone is not compatible, which is a shame as I would have liked the sat nav to be incorporated into the infotainment screen.

It sound more like a USB error to me, but....

Is the phone USB connection set to charge only?

If you can download the android auto app then it should work.

Have you tried opening the android auto app before plugging the phone in to the car.

Thanks AG Falco

On 04/03/2018 at 17:27, Skinneroo said:

If you haven't already it may be worth trying different USB cables, my Oneplus One works with some cables, not with others, always worth a try.

I know the Huawei P9 is not compatible with Android Auto. I rather suspect the P8 may not be. Google and Huawei have known about this problem since about 2016 but so far have failed to resolve the issue. Both blame the other. A quick internet search will result in numerous people reporting this incompatibility. The easy solution might appear to be to buy a  second but cheap Android phone to use in car, but Android Auto requires a data connection so a cheap phone is not the easy work-around solution it first appears to be. That said, my wife's Motorola E works perfectly well in my Fabia as an Android Auto "server".

I use Waze on my Samsung A3 (2017). The voice control does not seem as good as Google Maps (and the car is fitted with voice control). But, for me, the huge real world advantages of Waze are the reporting by other "Wazers" of hazards on trhe road and the visual appearance of the mapping. Waze appeals to me more than the Google Maps. However, Google Maps' lane guidance is fantastic.

I like Waze as it tells you when to turn before you,ve passed it.  Also if I recall Google tells you take turns in blah blah street.  That,d be ok if I knew the street name, but in the UK street names are often a few yards down the street where you can read them from a junction.  Hence waxes 2L, 3rd right is simple.

40 minutes ago, bumble72 said:

I like Waze as it tells you when to turn before you,ve passed it.  Also if I recall Google tells you take turns in blah blah street.  That,d be ok if I knew the street name, but in the UK street names are often a few yards down the street where you can read them from a junction.  Hence waxes 2L, 3rd right is simple.

Must admit even though I prefer Google maps, that is a great feature of Waze. I've missed turns with Google more than I'd like to admit...

Fair enough.  Each to their own, although my absolute fave was Here we go, which gave the instructions at the perfect time eg turn left in 300 yards...take the next left.... Turn left off island.  It really made sure you weren't going to miss your turn ;-) and seemed to have fewer directional Confucius than Goggle.

So from best to not quite so best order, I vote for:

Here We Go  > Waze > Goggle.

8 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

Anyone know if you can change the voice of the lady who lives in google maps? Can I have a man for example?

Not tried it myself but try this, go to your devices settings > Languages & Input > Text-to-speech output and see if changing it in there works.

We have used Android auto with my Moto G3 which is Android 6. Works brilliantly with Maps and Waze but I prefer Waze because it give you more info.

Wifes new Nokia 5 is Android 8 and when she gets the Fabia she will be using Android Auto probably with Waze as her nav app, Will have to wait until May/June to find out if its as good.

I have been thinking of enabling SmartLink, but didn't really need it. Some time ago talked with the dealer, who mentioned that one thing that is annoying about Waze on Android Auto is that it won't let you change the destination unless you stop the car, i.e., you can't specify "passenger" as in Waze on the mobile phone screen. Is this true?

3 minutes ago, Gauss said:

I have been thinking of enabling SmartLink, but didn't really need it. Some time ago talked with the dealer, who mentioned that one thing that is annoying about Waze on Android Auto is that it won't let you change the destination unless you stop the car, i.e., you can't specify "passenger" as in Waze on the mobile phone screen. Is this true?

Don't know about Waze but Google Maps is the same, the keyboard is disabled when the car is moving, can still use voice though.

2 hours ago, Gauss said:

Yes and no. In Waze you cannot search for new destinations while driving, but you can select a previous one, or a favorite.

I just use voice control to set destinations. Works well.

I absolutely love Android Auto. I wouldn't buy a car without it now, and I wouldn't pay for or use factory satnav. I have used it with 3 phones now- Samsung S7 Edge, OnePlus 3T, and now a OnePlus 5T. The OnePlus phones work slicker than the Samsung did, which I suspect was trying to run MirrorLink as well as Android Auto. On occasion where I get the 'USB Error' message popping up, I have found that tapping 'Select Device' or whatever it is at the bottom and then select the phone seems to help. Might be worth trying?

I use Waze and Google Maps, I prefer Google but Waze has better traffic information. 

• Thanks 1