Advice pleace Octavia vrs tdi

Hi, at the moment i am searching to buy a octavia Vrs Tdi from 2008 ,2009 with the Cr engine not the Pd one.

Is there anything to lookout for? Do they have  same problems like the Pd ones ? How reliable are they...

Cheers guys

depends on how its been looked after and mileage -  i'm fast approaching 100k in my 12 plate and everything is fine so far but im expecting clutch / DM soon - maybe a turbo after.

You'll be looking for engine code CEGA then.

what issues with the PD engine are you referring to?

I have a 2008 CR that I've owned from 114k miles and am now on 132k . I've replaced the EGR (covered by car dealer as it went a week after buying), clutch and DM with a turbo replacement on the horizon. With hindsight the DM was on the way out when I bought it so that could have been avoided :blush:

I'd have a look at the sills for rust (not too common but a good idea on a high miler) and ensure good service history that shows the cam belt and water pump replaced at the correct intervals (every 50,000 miles or 4 years which ever is first - need to check this, sure someone will be along in a minute to correct?!). Run the engine with the car in neutral  and if there is a rattling/'agricultural' sound to the engine then the DM may well need replacing... also sensible to do the clutch at the same time. Any pronounced whistling sound from the turbo when you accelerate may mean its past its best and would eventually need replacing. 

Bough my 2011 CR in Oct 2014 with 113k on it. Clutch had just been replaced prior to purchase and I had the cambelt and water pump replaced soon after. Other than a broken rear coil spring last summer all I've had is regular servicing. Currently on 162k and plenty of life left in her yet :)

I have the 2008 PD170 no faults at all and none on the horizon, good service history, I read about the faults too and thought dam but if the cars well cared for and has good history and regular oil changes it'll be grand. But if its driven like a rally car 24/7 any car will have faults regardless of engine. Also have a 2002 bora and its never had any faults and have it nearly from new, passed all MOTs first time with no advisories in entire time of ownership. Put it this way, you'll know a drive-out vRS when you see or drive one. 

Jack

150,000 miles on mine. cr cega. Same clutch and turbo. DPF good, i have had a turbo actuator fail recently as expected over time (rubber perished inside).