Fabia cuts out when pulling away

Hi, bit of a strange 1 (I think)..

Skoda mk1 vrs 2004 occasionally cuts out when I pull away. Car starts and drives perfectly and has done for 3 years, just recently it cuts out randomly.

I think it only does it when it’s rained but in England is pretty often lol.

I normally get to the end of my road, go to pull away and bang it dies. Fire it straight back up go to pull away and it dies again! Eventually if a pull over for a little while it pulls away and drives normally again. 

As as you can imagine it’s pretty scary as it only seems to happen at junctions...and I’m not just stalling it as even if I give it beans, as soon as I lift the clutch it dies. Ignition stays on with no lights up on dash. Today I noticed window lost memory but clock and everything else seems fine.

I’m kinda guessing it’s a cable somewhere..?  I’ve already  pulled out wiper mech and cleared out the scuttle drains in case water was sat in there, also checked all cable bungs were in place. Cleaned out egr and replaced seals on boost pipes as thought it might have been boost or anti stutter valve related. Problem still persists and it’s doing my head in now. Can’t see no obvious damaged wires or plugs. No wet carpets so I’m sure waters not getting in the cab.

ECU flags up cam pos sensor but then it always has, even after I’d changed it when I replaced the cam belt 2 yrs ago..

Gonna try and test as much wiring loom as possible but does anyone have an idea where to start?? Anyone had this problem before?? Could it b an earth lead?? It’s got to be something simple right.... haven’t had it on a VAG machine, but would that pinpoint the problem better?

thanks in advance

It's definitely worth removing and cleaning the earth lead at the strut turret as it's a known issue. At least you can rule it out if that doesn't make any difference.

445566.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So I cleaned this earth point but it wasn’t too bad. Resistance from engine to earth is 0hms so can assume engine earth is ok.

have dug a little deeper to check wires under battery n found 2 more earth points by the ecu which I’m gonna clean now. But I have found this in my dig but what is it? Obviously it should b connected n I don’t think I disturbed it whilst digging.. is it for the washers or vac?

D86DCA49-AD73-458B-A5DB-24C621A8A6F7.jpeg

Lol thanks all, doubt that’s my problem then but on the plus side I now have rear wash wipe..

As of now have cleaned all earth points I think

2 x on wing under ecu

1 x above battery

1 x starter motor to body

does anyone know of any others? Also let’s play another game of what’s that part lol but this time how do I unplug it?

FEF70D9C-5C0A-4CA6-814C-5DEAF01EBCA8.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just rejoined and spotted this.  My Fabia Mk1 2.0 had similar problem - engine cutting out.  Problem was a faulty 109 relay.  Underneath dash on drivers side - replaced it and problem gone.

Best regards

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thought I’d post what the problem actually was in the end...

After pulling out and checking most the engines wiring, I found 1 snapped light blue wire and a green with a yellow with some of the insulation damaged. They were from a section that’s clipped to the front of the starter motor. Looks like it’s been rubbing against the outer sheathing over the years, eventually getting to the point where it no longer made contact and in fact shorted when it rained!! 

Easy fix tho, cut out damaged parts and resoldered new sections in. Had to take off Bumper, headlight and unplug most the sensors to make loom accessible but that was easy enough. 

Car has been as good as gold for months now, just thought I’d post the fix as not many people do. Its defo an area where potential wire damage could occur. Looms pulled quite tight, mixed with bad weather and engine rock it’s a good place to start if ur having random engine issues. If this thread helps just 1 person then it’s all been worth it lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...