Instrument Cluster and Dash Lights Not working - Fix

SMurphy2000

This is just a quick summary of my experience when my instrument cluster lights and other dash lights stopped working on my 2013 Skoda Rapid.

My instrument cluster back lights and other dash lights such as radio button lights and hazard button light stopped working. On further investigation I also found my tail lights and number plate lights were also out, although break lights and indicators were working fine.

These are all on Fuse 35 (Large 5A) which had blown causing this problem, but on replacing the fuse everything worked for 30 seconds or so then it blew again.

On inspecting the lights I noticed a lot of blue (typical of corroded copper) inside one of my number plate lights. Upon removal all the copper that made up the bulb holder was rotten, and had even damaged the plug on the wiring loom.

Disconnecting this light and testing again (after cleaning up the plug and removing the broken pins stuck in it) got everything back up and running.

It seems water was getting into the light and has actually caused quite a bit of bubbling paint around both number plate lights, so keep an eye on your tail gates for rusting. Thought it was a bit strange these things being on the same circuit, but it is a good way of letting you know your tail lights are out... if you know that's what it means.

Edited by SMurphy2000
  • Like 2