06Gvwew.jpg

I don't know you but I find too easy for a car thief to enter a car today. Statistics prove it. Yet almost nothing has been done to physically protect the two weakest spots: the glass of the windows, and the corner of the door frame (red circle). Despite sophisticated car alarms and locks, a thief will gain access inside the car by either shattering a window or by inserting various devices at the corner frame of the door taking advantage of the frame flexibility.

I am really disappointed. Any serious solution to improve things?

Remove temptation: Don't leave anything of value on display.

Use some physical security....

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/

Or similar o what the car in the picture has ;)

30 seconds to physically break into a car leaving the glass and door-frames intact, with a tool small enough to fit in your pocket. It's actally not that hard. (At one point all you needed for certain cars was half a tennis ball.)
2 minutes to steal a Ford Focus ST, with only a small break in the glass. (Includes time to defeat the "security" system)

(And No, there won't be a discussion about how, or where to get the tools  from. But there's a thing that rhymes with "Dougal" that you can use to find out for yourself.)

You can make things more secure without too much effort, but there's a trade-off: security vs safety. Most people would rather live with a car that can be broken into, than one you can't escape from in the event of an accident. Glass can be made to stay intact and not shatter, but in the event of a flipped car, the windows become your way out, and one death because of a failure to escape a vehicle, would be one death too many.

(I doubt that "system" in the picture is effective: whilst the loop may be bolted through the top of the door, I doubt the hasp is anything more than screw through the roof. If you've brought the tool to jemmy the door open, you've already got the tool to defeat that "lock". All it's done is add 2-3 seconds on the time to break in........not effective at all really.)

1 hour ago, RainbowFire said:

I doubt that "system" in the picture is effective

I didn't intend to emphasize the title of the topic with the photo. It stands more for the "funny" part. Yet the photo caught my attention because no manufacturer seems to care about putting some sort of mechanical lock in the corner of the door frame. I'm thinking of a pin that slides in a hole in the side of the door frame only when the door is locked with the key from outside.

1 hour ago, RainbowFire said:

You can make things more secure without too much effort, but there's a trade-off: security vs safety.

You got a point here. There should be possible for anyone to choose what car they want when they buy it. That's not the case.

I'm not sure what percent of cars flip upside down each year in accidents but my intuition tells me there are far, far more cars burglarized and vandalized inside. Let's be clear, I created this topic for those cases when thieves try to stole things from the cabin/trunk, not for stealing the car. There are very effective solutions for the latter.

I would prefer the car manufacturers to be honest and at least admit that the so called high security (and sometimes very expensive) anti-theft alarms are just rubbish. They work on the premise that the thief will get scared and run when the siren will sound. Sadly things are not working like this. See for yourself.

5 hours ago, RicardoM said:

I'm not sure what percent of cars flip upside down each year in accidents but my intuition tells me there are far, far more cars burglarized and vandaliized nside. Let's be clear, I created this topic for those cases when thieves try to stole things from the cabin/trunk, not for stealing the car. There are very effective solutions for the latter.

It matters not what percenage flip, or have impacted doors......1 death or live-changing injury is not worth any "upgrade" in security. Or are you suggesting that property is worth more than life?

If you find your car vandalised......it's still just a car, and very easily replacable. If you have had stuff stolen from your car, it's still replacable, might be an inconvenience for a few days, but you'd get over it, and learn to keep things out of sight.

Contents theft is easy to reduce: don't leave anything of value on display. Thieves don't break in to cars on the off-chance something *might* be in th glove-box/boot/under seat, it's not worth the risk. This sort of theft is one of opputunism. If you've been the victim of a targeted theft - you're into a different ball-game anyway. Get into the habit of locking the car when you leave it, even at a garage forecourt when paying for fuel.

If you can't be bothered to look after your own property properly, why should a car manufacturer?

5 hours ago, RainbowFire said:

Get into the habit of locking the car when you leave it, even at a garage forecourt when paying for fuel.

If you can't be bothered to look after your own property properly, why should a car manufacturer?

Now you're just inventing things. I didn't say a thing about leaving the car unlocked. That would be stupid. On the other hand, nobody said that better door lock mechanism should be mandatory from factory. I see it more like an optional package, just like xenon headlights, power windows, etc.

I got your point, you're for leaving things as they are now and getting over any burglary/vandalism inside. That being said, let's see what other fellow members have to say on the subject. In fact I would be more interested in technical (DIY) solutions rather than bickering on its necessity.

1 hour ago, RicardoM said:

Now you're just inventing things. I didn't say a thing about leaving the car unlocked. That would be stupid. On the other hand, nobody said that better door lock mechanism should be mandatory from factory. I see it more like an optional package, just like xenon headlights, power windows, etc.

No, you're reading things that aren't there, again. I didn't suggest you left your car unlocked. Maybe you should actually read what's been read before jumping to (the wrong) conclusions. Maybe you should read "you" less personally. (It's a subtlty of the English language). As I've already said, theft is usually a crime of oppurtunity, ensuring those oppurtunities are kept to a minimun is in the car owners best interests. Doesn't matter what "clever" solutions you can think of, if you don't respect the basics......

Better locks are already part of the deal. Things have evolved somewhat since the days of the Felicia (actually before the days of the Felcia too). But you weren't talking about locks, you were talking about the glass and the door. The door gets bent because locks are better protected against such devices as a Slim-Jim, so the protection is curcumvented. You picture almost has it right though, something like a hasp and loop would make a better deterrent, just needs to be placed better (in fact you've already marked where it should be installed). Installation of the hasp would require bolts and ny-lock nuts, and drilling of the roof-frame.

Want the glass not to break? Easy, 3M clear flim 10 minutes to install, road-legal on the front windows and (if the correct one is bought) will help keep UV out of the car, and hence cooler on hot days. You can fit some of that really trendy "limo-tint" to the back windows too, that would stop them from breaking. There have been great advances made in the world of Perspex, that cold be used as ot won't break......but it does melt easily, leaving no sharps for the thief to injure himself on. Once-upon-a-time you could remove the front or rear windscreen and gain access that way.....untill windows were bonded in instead.

Why not make the doors flush-fit? No gaps to get a wedge into then.

The videos are good fun to watch, sadly all old-tech (like the Felicia), so not even dead-locks for example.

Fit a good 2-way alarm system, one that notifies the key-fob if the car is tampered with. Much less grief than trying to install security on a car that is long since been superceded (several times!). Would give you access to some useful tech too. (such things as remote unlock, remote tailgate, coming home/leaving home lights, auto electric window closure, shock and microwave sensing alarm system.......all that wholesome 1990s tech ;) ) It wouldn't be hard to fit a "Pea-Soup" machine to the alarm either....
http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-car-smoke-screen-security-system.shtml

1 hour ago, RicardoM said:

I got your point, you're for leaving things as they are now and getting over any burglary/vandalism inside. That being said, let's see what other fellow members have to say on the subject. In fact I would be more interested in technical (DIY) solutions rather than bickering on its necessity.

No, I don't hink you get the point (probably deliberately) Things haven't been "left as they are" technology has moved on, doors are stonger and vulnerbilities have been eliminated, progress has been made. It's just no-one has gone to the effort to trying to retro-fit this to a dwindling number of old, cheap, vehicles.

You're looking for a solution that simply has no problem if one remembers to look after one's property carefully.

39 minutes ago, RainbowFire said:

You picture almost has it right though, something like a hasp and loop would make a better deterrent, just needs to be placed better (in fact you've already marked where it should be installed).

The hasp and loop in that picture is a Mr. Bean solution, obviously. I find more effective a modification of the central locking system. An actuator would push/pull a locking pin in the most vulnerable area of the door frame - top corner.

As for window films:

No matter what you do someone will find a way in, it's like house security, have better security than your neighbour and make the thief go to the easy house. 25yrs ago I dealt with a Cavalier SRI with deadlocks which had the the lock accessed by having drivers door skin peeled back after being attacked with what looked like an axe. All for a handbag, it would have been easier just to chuck a topstone off the adjacent drystone wall through the window. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

The hasp and loop in that picture is a Mr. Bean solution, obviously. I find more effective a modification of the central locking system. An actuator would push/pull a locking pin in the most vulnerable area of the door frame - top corner.

As for window films:

So, having watched the film videos, we're pretty much agreed that film would be a good start to the glass not being broken in a hurry (especially given the commentary on the 2nd video). So unless you are planning to fit unbreakable/bullet-proof glass (not a cheap solution, nor one that, I suspect would be available on 20-year old cars)

Your idea of installing a solenoid and a locking-pin (actually one for each door) would require a redesign of the door and chassis/framework, again somethinig that has already been done over he evolution of car design to make the door itself stronger. Again, I doubt any (sane) human being will be up for cutting doors and chassis around to retro-fit such devices.

And what about cars that have no window frame on their doors and thus nothing to lock your security pin into? Or one with no roof maybe?

BMWM3-E36-Cabriolet-773_2.jpg

(Something that few Skoda owners would have experienced.)

You're still looking at trynig to over-engineer a solution, when there's a simple one already available.

(Ooo I felt the breeze from somone's cape as they flew by, and here we are suddenly in a different section of Brisky. hmm)

18 minutes ago, P6bJOHN said:

No matter what you do someone will find a way in, it's like house security, have better security than your neighbour and make the thief go to the easy house. 25yrs ago I dealt with a Cavalier SRI with deadlocks which had the the lock accessed by having drivers door skin peeled back after being attacked with what looked like an axe. All for a handbag, it would have been easier just to chuck a topstone off the adjacent drystone wall through the window. 

Wow! That incident made a statement, and feels far more personal than oppurtunistic.

And yes, security is all about making someone not want to bother with the ar$e-ache of breaking into your property, and getting them to move along to someone else's.

I am not sure why the topic was moved. I was interested in finding easy security solutions against breaking in a Skoda Felicia. Particularly for the windows and for the corner of the door frames where thieves attack first.

If you ask yourselves why would any thief pick a Felicia to break in, here are a few reasons coming from their sick minds when confronted with local police:

• they might think it is an easy car to start and use for another illegal activity
  • they just want to take it for a ride then dump it somewhere or dismantle it for parts in a hot garage
  • they imagine there must be something valuable inside, especially if the windows are tinted and can't see inside
  • they needed a place to sleep overnight
  • they saw the car has been tuned up recently and that's easy money

Note 1: some thieves vandalize the dashboard, the seats, the door covers, etc if they don't find anything valuable.

Note 2: the owners of Skoda Felicia are not exactly rich people. It is a reliable work/family car that runs on a modest budget. Any financial loss counts.

@P6bJOHN It is far from me the idea that a car should be bullet proof. Of course that given the time and proper means, any car can be broke in. I am talking about methods of discouraging thieves.

A security film on windows seems a reasonable financial effort. You saw how easy a side window breaks if punctured with a hardened awl.

Not sure about the corner of the door frame though. It should be harder to slide a wedge in there.

• Administrators

Anything can, and will be stolen with intent.

Defeat the opening pic by using one of the other doors, or boot.

For giggles you used to swap dizzy leads.

Swmbo left hers open with most but tissues in it. I do similar on occasion.

Not sure about the film. A little part of me feels I'll see a fireman before anything else untoward, seeing the fireman with a rubber hammer, in effect, will be depressing as the water licks my ankles.

Swmbo found a good thing, mostly for valuable breakables, but I think it applies everywhere.

Think of the item you just purchased as already broken, lost, cannot be recovered. Now enjoy it while you have it, it's already gone.

Still does not stop her, or me, hoarding and being attached to stupid things. i thinki ill cry the day my 25yr old £1 wool jumper from next sale dies, don't care at all about the 300waterproof.

6 hours ago, RicardoM said:

I am not sure why the topic was moved. I was interested in finding easy security solutions against breaking in a Skoda Felicia. Particularly for the windows and for the corner of the door frames where thieves attack first.

If you ask yourselves why would any thief pick a Felicia to break in, here are a few reasons coming from their sick minds when confronted with local police:

• they might think it is an easy car to start and use for another illegal activity
  • they just want to take it for a ride then dump it somewhere or dismantle it for parts in a hot garage
  • they imagine there must be something valuable inside, especially if the windows are tinted and can't see inside
  • they needed a place to sleep overnight
  • they saw the car has been tuned up recently and that's easy money

Note 1: some thieves vandalize the dashboard, the seats, the door covers, etc if they don't find anything valuable.

Note 2: the owners of Skoda Felicia are not exactly rich people. It is a reliable work/family car that runs on a modest budget. Any financial loss counts.

@P6bJOHN It is far from me the idea that a car should be bullet proof. Of course that given the time and proper means, any car can be broke in. I am talking about methods of discouraging thieves.

A security film on windows seems a reasonable financial effort. You saw how easy a side window breaks if punctured with a hardened awl.

Not sure about the corner of the door frame though. It should be harder to slide a wedge in there.

I think you vastly over-estimate the value of the Felicia by some considerable margin.

Mind you, you've jumped again, from theft from the vehicle to theft of the vehicle. Slowing down the vehicle being stolen was covered earlier (Disc-Lock). If your car is of such value, the thief will turn up with a flat-bed/toe-truck and have it away to be dealt with later. (Especially if they "see" it's been tuned) You could go the other way and have a quick-release steering wheel, but that might cramp your style at the night-club.

Felicia parts are worth nothing and are already easy to get hold of, so no chop-shop mentality here - neither would someone be desperate enough to have a Felicia stolen to order. (The one or two that are special enough to be desirable have proper security systems fitted)

Thieves don't bother breaking in to a vehicle if they have only imagine there's something valuable inside - imagination is a wonderful thing, but rarely yields practical results. Plus, thieves rarely enjoy putting effort in for no gain.

A Felicia is not particularly comfortable to sleep in (most cars aren't)

One could fix a plate (metal, plastic or rubber) round the edge of the door so no wedge could be used, but that would ruin the looks and aerodynamics of the Felicia. A metal plate would probably hinder the backdoor though.

(One would *almost* think that this subject has been thought about and covered in many places over many years and not just on a low value asset. Doors with multiple claw-locks for example, so the door is claw-locked to the frame in multiple places. What defeats these things, every time, is cost over advantage. No-one (sane) would spend hundreds of pounds/dollars to secure a vehicle worth little more than a bag of chips.)

22 minutes ago, ColinD said:

Not sure about the film. A little part of me feels I'll see a fireman before anything else untoward, seeing the fireman with a rubber hammer, in effect, will be depressing as the water licks my ankles.

Ricardo has already said that he'd rather the car not be damaged/stolen than get stuck inside it. Still, at least one can only get stuck inside once. ;)   So we already established security over safety. Mind you, you could also install a "pull here" tag to remove the film in case of emergency.

42 minutes ago, RainbowFire said:

Mind you, you've jumped again, from theft from the vehicle to theft of the vehicle.

I didn't jump anything. I have only listed the reasons police found after interrogating thieves. No matter if the thief wanted to stole from the car or stole the car, everything starts with a break-in. That is what I want to prevent. On the other hand, if I want to jump to other things I will do it without asking for your permission. It is my topic.

45 minutes ago, RainbowFire said:

I think you vastly over-estimate the value of the Felicia by some considerable margin.

It is not you to decide what is valuable for me or for other owners of Felicia. There are many people that rely on a Felicia as a daily driver for work and don't need other 'modern' cars. Not to mention the sentimental value. For you a Felicia might worth a bag of chips, for others it is an invaluable car. It is not about wealth, which by the way is not a personal quality and very often is not doubled by intelligence.

53 minutes ago, RainbowFire said:

One could fix a plate (metal, plastic or rubber) round the edge of the door so no wedge could be used...

Thieves will wedge the plate itself.

I think it is safe to say that you made clear all your opinions and solutions on the subject. I would like to hear from other Felicia owners too if you don't mind.

7 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

I didn't jump anything. I have only listed the reasons police found after interrogating thieves. No matter if the thief wanted to stole from the car or stole the car, everything starts with a break-in. That is what I want to prevent. On the other hand, if I want to jump to other things I will do it without asking for your permission. It is my topic.

It is not you to decide what is valuable for me or for other owners of Felicia. There are many people that rely on a Felicia as a daily driver for work and don't need other 'modern' cars. Not to mention the sentimental value. For you a Felicia might worth a bag of chips, for others it is an invaluable car. It is not about wealth, which by the way is not a personal quality and very often is not doubled by intelligence.

Thieves will wedge the plate itself.

I think it is safe to say that you made clear all your opinions and solutions on the subject. I would like to hear from other Felicia owners too if you don't mind.

The topic is open to other participants (in fact to all members of Briskoda). I'm not preventing anyone from giving an opinion, so far only two others have chosen to do so. Maybe others don't feel it's worth their time to contribute. Whilst you might feel it's your thread, it's still not your forum and you don't get to dictate who can and who can't post or reply. As ever, you are free to block/ignore people as you feel and see fit. ;)

A plate would give a closer (narrower) fit, and require a better wedge to defeat. Plus a metal plate would have changed the leverage setup and fulcrum, and thus require a longer lever to have the same effect.

Whilst the sentimental value of a Felicia is, indeed, incalculable, the actual market value is very easy to calculate. Whilst you may well fawn over your precious Felicia because you "rely" on it to get you around, if it went missing, there would unlikely that you'd be stranded beyond the ability to use public transport for a few days, whilst another car is acquired. (Vancouver is hardly an isolated city) I suspect there are more people view their Felicias are transport than have any sentimental attachment to them, they really are just cheap cars, cheaply made and easily replaced (by something better equipped, easier to maintain, more economical etc, and not by something you scoffed at as being "modern". There were better cars around before Felicia showed up.) Given the lack of participation, maybe the rest of the Felicia owners don't feel the need to expend such time, effort and money on a "feature" that would cost more than replacing the car itself.

The videos are funny BTW. Not sure you understand how glass works though: it's not as fragile as you think, so a failed assault with a brick is not indicative of there being film on it. (I would humbly suggest maybe researching on how glass breaks, and why a sharp-force attack is more effective than a blunt-force attack.)

17 minutes ago, RainbowFire said:

Given the lack of participation, maybe the rest of the Felicia owners don't feel the need to expend such time, effort and money on a "feature" that would cost more than replacing the car itself.

It's more like they are avoiding you and your typical, well known attitude. Troublemaker, destructive, insidious, provocative, stubborn in your desire for vendetta and quarrel with me. That is well known and established over and over again. You are not helping anyone. You just keep trying to destroy topics by trolling everything I say. That is how all your interventions end up in this section. Do us a favour and stay away. I don't need your opinions.

• Haha 1

Around 16 years ago my Focus estate was broken into while parked at a train station.  If was a bog standard zetec model although the boot contained subs/amps/sound processors but these were completely out of sight.

They left the subs as the doors were deadlocked and they wouldn't fit out of the window but the amp, sound processor, CDs (which were out of sight under the driver's seat), a small tool kit and my personalised bowling ball (tbh, it was a gift and when I realised it was gone that hurt the most) were all stolen

The perpetrators were caught inside my car by station security who challenged them but were threatened with "F**K OFF OR WE'LL F*****G KILL YOU!", obviously the police just didn't get there in time.

The car wasn't alarmed (just immobilised) and a lot of people hinted it should have been alarmed with my audio gear inside.  I argued that an alarm would have made no difference, they were actually challenged at the time and it didn't deter them, if that doesn't work then nothing will.

From what I've seen/read, a lot of the feature used to make life easier (keyless entry etc) have given thieves new options to steal cars so it's not an option I'd be interested in until the security of it's improved dramatically.

The doors are a weak point as they can be jemmied open at the top, I guess there may be an option to re-design the door shuts to make it more difficult to level them open but that might upset the aesthetics of an given car.

I'm reliably informed that the majority of cars built in the last 15-20 will unlock themselves in the event of an accident/impact or submersion in water so maybe there's an option of a "top bolt" in the upper corner of the door which is part of the central locking circuit but only operates when stationary?

Glass is a tricky one, the security films offer a little more resilience but as it's already been said, if you need retrieving from the vehicle in an emergency situation it could hamper efforts to get you out.

I know it's already been said, keeping personal items out of sight and/or leaving nothing on show to draw the attention of a would be thief can help but sometimes there's just nothing you can do to mitigate the actions of scumbags :(  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

It's more like they are avoiding you and your typical, well known attitude. Troublemaker, destructive, insidious, provocative, stubborn in your desire for vendetta and quarrel with me. That is well known and established over and over again. You are not helping anyone. You just keep trying to destroy topics by trolling everything I say. That is how all your interventions end up in this section. Do us a favour and stay away. I don't need your opinions.

So you degenerate into name-calling, well done you. Interestingly, the conversation had been quite civil up until that point (despite your provocative efforts), but as usual your true colours shine through. Your glasses obviously need checking (try not using purple lenses) as I've stayed away from "your" topics and replies for quite some time (the last time we crossed swords I was reminded about a few things by someone higher up the food-chain), so the woeful accusation of trolling "everything" you say is epically incorrect. You don't like my opinions, that's fine by me, I don't like your arrogant, disrespectful behaviour (especially towards new members), but it's apparently something that has to be lived with.

This is an open forum and as such there is open conversation, regardless of who opens the topic. If you want to have total control over a thread, become a moderator or use a different forum.

If you don't like what you read, you *still* have the option of using that ignore button, but you've not found it in the last 5 years, so I doubt you'll find it now. :)

9 minutes ago, Russ77 said:

The perpetrators were caught inside my car by station security who challenged them but were threatened with "F**K OFF OR WE'LL F*****G KILL YOU!", obviously the police just didn't get there in time.

From what I've seen/read, a lot of the feature used to make life easier (keyless entry etc) have given thieves new options to steal cars so it's not an option I'd be interested in until the security of it's improved dramatically.

I'm reliably informed that the majority of cars built in the last 15-20 will unlock themselves in the event of an accident/impact or submersion in water so maybe there's an option of a "top bolt" in the upper corner of the door which is part of the central locking circuit but only operates when stationary?

"Security" staff have no teeth in most places, they are very much a case of "stop, or I'll say stop again". I've yet to hear of the police actually catching someone in the act of contents theft.

The convenience features do indeed open new holes. Proximity locking/unlocking is about the most useless technology ever, and has exposed  the world to the "relay attack" . Keyless start is awful too, partly because it's so simple to by-pass, but also because: you go to take your wife somewhere, she has her keys in her bag. you approach the car, it unlocks, you get in and press the start button. You drop her off at the hairdressers and drive to Tescos to get some beer. You park, and press the stop button. As you didn't check (because the car was unlocked) your keys are at home on the table. Your car is now immobile and unlocked. Not so convenient. Keyless also has a sufficient range on it to allow the car to be started when the keys are nowhere near the car. (In some cases 50 feet away!) "Old-Skool" tech (a bladed key) stops this from arising in the first place, and isn't really a ball-ache to use. ;)

Yes, modern cars unlock in the event of collision/submersion. A "top-bolt" solution only needs to be live when the car is not, so the bolt would only be engaged when the doors are locked *and* the ignition is off, to prevent being buckled on in the event of an impact. Early on in evolution the impact protection system was live all the time (even when locked and car was switched off) so a quick thump in the "right" place would trigger the air-bags and unlock the doors. Another hole made in security by bad thinking. (Bad thinking still applies, lookup how easy the Focus STi is to steal how anyone thought that design was a good idea is beyond me).

• Like 1

I find this topic interesting as my new toy in my garage is a Mk1 Golf Clipper Cabrio, it has frameless doors and a convertible roof, therefore it is as vulnerable as a nun in a knife fight. I have an alarm which has a perimeter warning chirp set at about 400mm, closer or touch the car and it growls, reach in or activate any of the sensors and it sets the lights and siren off. It is impossible to secure, do I leave the top down and risk the boot lid being jemmied (and rain),  or leave it up and worry about a £1000 roof job? Maybe just leave it unlocked but armed. Life's for living though, not worries, or we wouldn't sleep. I just lock, arm, and pay insurance.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, P6bJOHN said:

.......my new toy in my garage is a Mk1 Golf Clipper Cabrio,

So, it's your fault it keeps raining then! ;) ;) :giggle:

Nice one! What colour combo did you get?

That's where I bought it, I haven't had a decent day to take pics since I got it home, so it's just tucked up in the garage waiting the summer. I had been looking for over 3yrs for one with an automatic gearbox, It's not perfect, but reasonably original with72k miles. Of the ones I looked at most smelt like a dead badger had been left under the back seat, or had been painted with a stick, or had upholstery like a £10 hookers bedsheets, the list went on and on. I paid over the odds but heyho, life isn't a rehearsal!

• Haha 1