55 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

You can not stop them being towed away unless you put a good wheel clamp on. You can not stop someone getting in the car.

You fit a hidden cut off switch.   

You put a big chain around the pedals. Or pedals to steering wheel.  Even fit a removable steering wheels.

A clamp wouldn't stop it from being lifted instead of towed and lifting can be down in about the same time or less and without damaging the car ;)

Removable wheel is probably the best anti-driveaway device (would need airbag defeat though, although Canada may have different laws on that)

I think the biggest thing with this sort of "heavy" security, is that after a while, the "can't be bothered" syndrom kicks in and the wheel will stay on the rack, the clamp in the boot and the chain in the back footwell.

Hidden cut-off/2nd stage immo would keep going though, as they're less effort. The 2nd stage immo only requires effort to turn off, and that's only the push of button.

8 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Skoda built a tank not unlike that.

Hmmm bit excessive for going to the shops though, although parking would be easy....you can park where other cars are already parked. ;) ;)

Edited by RainbowFire

I was once asked by a work mate if i knew were a friend could get an engine for his tuned Renault.

So i went to see a friend at a scrap yard and he knew a car with an engine that would be perfect.

So i told the friend where to take his friend to get it.

They went and then phoned me, the car they went to see was his own one,  it had been lifted onto a flat bed and transported to the scrap yard,

Not an internet myth. 

I stored a 1970 Mk2 Ford Cortina on a friends farm, and when i heard he had emigrated i went to get it back.

Sadly there was now new houses being built where the farm was.

A couple of years later i spotted my car on Gumtree for sale and went and collected it after having a good look around it.

Showing the seller my paperwork and persuading them that it is nice to be nice and just keep walking without a limp.

Edited by AwaoffSki

2 hours ago, RainbowFire said:

George. half the conversation has been about Ricardo wanting to stop people from getting in in the first place, something that no car manufacturer has managed to do to date.

If you don't like my opinions, feel free to ignore this topic instead of trolling it with cheap, off-topic ironies. You didn't have anything constructive to say, as expected. If you think you are so smart and knowledgeable, be persistent and helpful on all technical topics from this section. It is easy to jump all over a topic where you kind'of feel you might have some ammunition to criticize me. Yet I didn't see you have the same rabid fervor when it comes to tough technical matters asked by fellow members. You stay silent like a mouse because you are afraid to embarrass yourself. Do me a favor and get your cheap laughs elsewhere.

29 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

If you don't like my opinions, feel free to ignore this topic instead of trolling it with cheap, off-topic ironies. You didn't have anything constructive to say, as expected. If you think you are so smart and knowledgeable, be persistent and helpful on all technical topics from this section. It is easy to jump all over a topic where you kind'of feel you might have some ammunition to criticize me. Yet I didn't see you have the same rabid fervor when it comes to tough technical matters asked by fellow members. You stay silent like a mouse because you are afraid to embarrass yourself. Do me a favor and get your cheap laughs elsewhere.

You're very very welcome.....

You know it's comically funny how you still strut around still trying so very very hard to be angry and upset: your most hated member of the communiity found a solution (cheap and purist OE too!) to your fear of someone using a piece of string to steal your precious piece of steel, and also demonstrated that your idea hadn't quite been thought through enough to br a workable solution. (What happened to all those fabled years of experience you bragged about previously?) Pride a sad thing to have had injured, and I feel why you are so upset. It's also funny that you still feel you've been critisised, when I have merely observed the gaping holes in your idea and the fact you wish to achieve something that far, far greater minds (both collective and singular) have investigated for decades, with massive financial advantage and being the actual designers and constructors of vehicles with access to such workshops and fabrication facilities that made the stuff of engineers dreams.

Briskoda is still not yours, it does not belong to you (I'm sure there would have been an announcement if Colin had sold it) so you're not in a position to demand who contributes, or when or how. Sorry, but that is the way of the world, or this forum at least. (For the record, this has not been the "cheapest laugh" that's split between when you "went through a puddle and the steering-wheel deflected for a moment" and when you ddn't "understand why there was condensation in the car" which did make check how proud you were and how much respect you should get from all those years working on cars.....they were by far much funner than this. This topic is merely an example of ambition > ability, nothing more. The only thing that's funny here is your insistance that there *must* be a way, and that those brains at VAG want you to have your car stolen or vandalsed. {Nasty nasty germans})

Here's a couple more solutions to your, percieved, theft problem:

I supose you could go to the effort of fitting scissor doors, that would move the vulnerability of the door to a different point, one that would be unknown to the Canadian wanting to steel your precious Skoda. But that it a lot of effort and money (as well as not being "pure" skoda)

Given you think the car is comfortable enough to sleep in, you could sleep in it. You would be on guard to deter theft of or from the car. It would save on accomodation costs too,so you save up sufficient funds to purchase another car, in case this one does get stolen.

Move to accomodation with secure, patrolled parking - if they can't get near your car because of the fluffy rottweiler guaring it, security really won't be an issue. Or just leave the rottweiler in the car, although it might not recognise you either, and it may even leave you the odd "gift" on the seat.

Get a removable steering wheel, the anti-string thingys, and keep all your valuables (including those Abba cassettes) out of sight. It'll be far far less effort, and cost, and damage.

I didn't realise I was going to get caught in the cross fire of handbags at dawn, I have no specific knowledge of Felicia locking mechanisms but as an idea, why not just remove the lock lift buttons, doesn't the door unlock from the door handle on the inside for exiting? 

2 hours ago, P6bJOHN said:

...why not just remove the lock lift buttons, doesn't the door unlock from the door handle on the inside for exiting?

No, it doesn't. The door opens from the door handle on the inside. It doesn't unlock.

• Administrators

Secure one door, secure them all, or none at all.

We all own or are interested in Skoda, it's not a one model of the marque forum, all posts are open to input from everyone. Ownership of a specific model is not required to have input. 

When I was a child, there was a simple rule. You either confess and change your attitude, or you both do, myself and sister, if neither of you do, then you both suffer. That was in the era when leather let a mark. So the message is simple, either sort it out or both suffer.

There is no single protection, there is a desire from me to have an all inclusive community, warts rogues, geniuses, we all have a place, to a point. Please take this as sincere and not something I enjoy having to do.

The old cars I know friends had, the most common then was devilment, to save a taxi home or just to go somewhere. So disabling the start would do it in my view.

• Haha 1

What do you know? A brute force attack on the door of a new car. In East London. Caught on camera. Who did it? Nobody can tell. The moral?...

And again break in due to poor security design ignored by the owner.

^^^ Are you in Canada?   How have you managed to stop your car been stolen or broken into in the time this thread has been running?

20 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

^^^ Are you in Canada?   How have you managed to stop your car been stolen or broken into in the time this thread has been running?

In Canada I'm not afraid having the car broken in. I am lucky to park it in a closed garage both at work and at home.

I try to find solutions before I return to Dominican Republic. I am working in here temporarily.

It is so discouraging to see how easy it is to break the window of a car door...

And another

Something has to be done.

• Administrators

@RicardoM Well I know nothing, as I don't own a Felicia... got it. Or, my finger prints are in the police database, I've given plenty of interview statements, I've even broken into a van...

to return the keys to the owner. 

in chasing down shop lifters, spotted plenty before and subsequently caught them. I've seen how impregnable security doors ( think submarine door ) were overcome from the inside by the simple act of hiding and breaking outwards...

Of loosing a car with two blokes following me, unmarked police. To be honest they did look really dodgy in back jumpers and a metro, plus we'd just been robbed for about 100k in stock, so I wasn't for stopping to ask them who there were :D 

So what I know isn't much, but it's basically the only thing you need to know: where there is a will, there is a way.

If they want it, they will take it, not a dam thing you can do about it, be that car, stereo, silver, toys, trainers, money. Left a pound coin on your seat, TBH thats worth 5seconds of anyones time, if you're so inclined.

Anyway I'm off to patch the server, given my days of spotting, chasing and evading are over :D

6 hours ago, ColinD said:

So what I know isn't much, but it's basically the only thing you need to know: where there is a will, there is a way.

If they want it, they will take it, not a dam thing you can do about it, be that car, stereo, silver, toys, trainers, money.

I find your position too passive, even dangerous. Thieves will always put in balance the gain and the risk. The biggest risk is to get caught red handed. For that to happen, I think it is our duty, law abiding citizens, to do our best in protecting our car both physically and electronically. Anything that would make breaking in harder will increase our chances to catch the thief in the act and confront him.

My opinion is that the best solutions so far are:

• protect all windows with security film
  • install an anti-theft alarm with remote alarm on the fob
  • protect the corner of the doors frame with an extra lock linked to central locking system
  • have a baseball bat or a gun handy (depending on local laws); be ready to use them

• 3 weeks later...