Rear Brake Discs - New kind of problem!

8 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Was that all 4 for £189 or a pair / rears.

Skoda have a National Pricing price, Participating Dealers.

£235 a pair.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

£189 for the two rears and pads. There's nothing wrong with the fronts yet.

I guess mine is a participating dealer then!

On 3/14/2018 at 07:44, 2ndskoda said:

Not trying to be a smartass -  BUT  - a note of caution to anyone who may have misread AG Falco's earlier  comments.

REGREASING THE PADS refers to the backing NOT the pad surface!

I am not nitpicking here, but some years ago we had 2 customers who (to stop brake squeal) put a smear of grease on the pad material itself.

Hope this clarifies the matter -  comments made with no intended offence to AGFALCO

No offence taken. 

Also I rub any rust off the disks and carriers on the calipers.

Yes then grease the back of the pads and the carriers to keep everything moving.

Last car with rear disk brakes had one set of pads at 75 K miles.

At 131 k miles the rear disks were still good and above minimum thickness.

These were solid disks and not ventilated which seem to wear quicker.

Thanks AG Falco

Rear discs can be a bit of a problem on smallish/lightish cars,we have rear discs on our Polo 1.4 and during the winter they do tend to go quite rusty,this looks awful and of course eventually probably will lead to disc problems.What I try to remember to do during the winter months is to use the handbrake gently occasionally whilst driving as this is the only way to guarantee that the back brakes will actually operate on a small car which has not got much weight in the boot,I have done it a couple of times since chrimbo and it definitely  polishes the discs.

The Polo is the only car I have owned which tends to have dirtier back wheels than the fronts :biggrin:.

To go back to the OP's pics - I had that many years ago on a car and I put it down to the fact that some of the the pads were corroded into the Caliper and not moving freely when braking and thus the Rust got gently polished by the 'Lazy' pad and ended up with that bizarre coating,I was based in the middle of nowhere at the time so I clonked all the 'coating' off - faced up the discs myself and 'hey presto' - all was ok (the discs were still waaay over min thickness).Please note I am not suggesting people do this,this was way before internet days and it is far easier to buy components now at reasonable prices without leaving home . 

• 2 weeks later...

The rear discs are a bit fiddlier then the fronts as you have the handbrake stuff to contend with too. Otherwise, fitting fronts is a Glen Hoddle!

I purchased a set of pads and discs for my (09) Greeenie but when it came down to it, I got a local garage to fit the pads and he said the discs were still in excellent nick so they're in my shed, waiting for the next time! (I'll probably open the box and find them like Jaon88's)!

Wino, no sweat, sometimes things relate to others who have laser or worse situations... I opened my gob regarding a VRS clutch pack as someone wanted an idea of costings... Compared to my manual bog standard clutch, it sounds like his one will be 3 times the amount!!!