Small vans

Hi all,

Looking at small vans as an alternative to making my Fabia estate carry everything, and ideally need something I can get a motorbike in the back of.

The main contenders for a couple grand seem to be:

Ford Transit Connect (LWB should fit bike easily)

VW Caddy (This might be a push)

Vauxhall Combo (Not sure I have much chance)

Kangoo/Berlingo/Partner (I've a feeling these are way too small)

Bike in question is a Suzuki GS500 so not the smallest, but equally not the biggest either.

Any recommendations, vans I've missed or general advice would be appreciated 

Would it be easier and cheaper to get a trailer?

I regularly get frustrated with my saloon but the economics of running a second car just for practicality don't add up.

A recently retired hearse? Always polished, never raced or rallied and lots of room in the back, even room to sleep if needed. 

14 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Would it be easier and cheaper to get a trailer?

I regularly get frustrated with my saloon but the economics of running a second car just for practicality don't add up.

Realistically, the Furby is on it's way out anyway. It's got endless little niggles building up and was a dog car before I got it and I'm hesitant to keep pouring money in 

14 minutes ago, P6bJOHN said:

A recently retired hearse? Always polished, never raced or rallied and lots of room in the back, even room to sleep if needed. 

I've considered it, but they're coach built so insurance can be a bit of a pain can't it? also not sure a motorbike would fit in the back of it. 

Look for a used / cheap WAV Conversion.   

Wheel Chair Accessible Vehicle. Often looked after, serviced.

Some are much cheapness.  Tint up the rear glass if not already done.

Rear Ramp, space, still seat in rear, Manuals & Automatics, often low miles even older / cheaper ones, Citroen, Peugeot, Renault , FIAT often, sometimes Ford, Mercedes,

Some nice £2,500-£3,000 ones about, but can be cheaper.

There are some on Autotrader from time to time.  I just look at Auto ones. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Look for a used / cheap WAV Conversion.   

Wheel Chair Accessible Vehicle. Often looked after, serviced.

Some are much cheapness.  Tint up the rear glass if not already done.

Rear Ramp, space, still seat in rear, Manuals & Automatics, often low miles even older / cheaper ones, Citroen, Peugeot, Renault , FIAT often, sometimes Ford, Mercedes,

Some nice £2,500-£3,000 ones about, but can be cheaper.

There are some on Autotrader from time to time.  I just look at Auto ones. 

This /\ (often under-drive: not an issue in my book for a vehicle of this age) 

Missus works for Motability and this is the way I would go. Look for them in (BCA) auctions

The old Connects are nothing but trouble. Proper crap. 

Ive got a FL Caddy Maxi now. Its spot on tbf, surprisingly good to drive, cant really tell its a van. Handles well. 

Careful on spec, the basic ones have windey windows, no ac etc. So worth getting a decent spec. 

Worth noting that all none car derived vans should technically do the lower NSL limits. But alot of us forget this, officer. 

Had a caddy as a loaner while a fiesta van was getting a fuel rail fitted a few yrs back in work. 

That thing was wrecked from abuse but it went ridiculously well (it was a 1.9pd, the feshty was a boggo 1.4tdci)

6 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Had a caddy as a loaner while a fiesta van was getting a fuel rail fitted a few yrs back in work. 

That thing was wrecked from abuse but it went ridiculously well (it was a 1.9pd, the feshty was a boggo 1.4tdci)

Mines the 1.6CR... i wanted the 2.0CR ideally but this one popped up and fitted the bill perfectly, good condition and pretty good spec too. 

Still goes quite well tbh... better than my 1.9PD T5. Just doesnt have that shove at tickover the PD's have... but it revs lots more freely and feels like it wants to go, compared. 

The only thing with the caddies are they really push my budget. I'd have to settle for an SDI or a much more tired van than I could get equivalent connect for the same money. I could get a T4 but then I'm talking 90s-era everything and associated wear and tear.

45 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

The old Connects are nothing but trouble. Proper crap. 

Are the connects really that bad? They seem to be fairly cheap

Edited by FollowingGhosts

13 minutes ago, FollowingGhosts said:

The only thing with the caddies are they really push my budget. I'd have to settle for an SDI or a much more tired van than I could get equivalent connect for the same money. I could get a T4 but then I'm talking 90s-era everything and associated wear and tear.

Are the connects really that bad? They seem to be fairly cheap

I'm afraid the old ones are cheap for a reason. I personally wouldn't have one. The new ones are supposed to be good, but they've only been out a few years so not cheap. 

SDI engines are good if you don't want to overtake anything or don't carry much weight, which a GS500 isnt is it. About 180kg? 

@Toxicvrs is clued up on Combo's. 

How about a Citroen Dispatch or the Pug alternative? (id avoid the Fiat because apparently the wiring isnt as good) 

New connects are middling.

I ran a VIN search on one of ours, to see the build spec. 1.8tdci 118ps engine that feels and sounds like a 1.4 being strangled. Show it a hill it slows down, whether you change down a gear or floor it, even when only 1up and empty in the back. 

They average about 35mpg...

Storage is good in them, but thats about it..

I hate them.

Done the whole combo thing, wasn't too bad until 90k then literally rebuilt it but this was a really abused van bouncing up farm tracks. Personally I'd go for a 1.7cdti as 1.3 is a heap, 1.7Di is a bit sluggish, 1.7dti was a pretty good lump just got to watch the edu solders crack up and cause starting issues. Other than that it's just the usual corsa water leak issues etc. 

Got a Caddy, 1.6tdi had a few initial injector problems, but since sorted has been an awesome van now with 90k on it. Just suffers typical wear. Just look out for waterpump history on it. Also they are factory fitted with an smf so no pesky dmf problems unlike combo. 

Some things to consider if buying a van.

Your current insurance will need to be dropped, and a commercial vehicle insurance policy taken out. This may impact your no claims discount, as it can't usually be converted over to a different type of policy.

Speed limits. It's very easy to run through an ANPR system at car legal speeds and then get a fixed penalty through the post for speeding. Unless you manage to find a car derived van which suits your needs (Renault Kangoo perhaps, but be prepared for an absolutely gutless 1.5dci engine).

You'll get no toys at all for your money as compared to a car. Vans are designed and built to get staff from one place to another, and comforts are not a consideration.

Noise. Noise. Noise. Be prepared to have a booming noisy environment to sit in while driving about. Unless you get one with a fixed bulkhead (which will probably put you into commercial vehicle territory rather than Car Derived Vans which you can look in the mirror and see out the back windows generally).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Some things to consider if buying a van.

Your current insurance will need to be dropped, and a commercial vehicle insurance policy taken out. This may impact your no claims discount, as it can't usually be converted over to a different type of policy.

Speed limits. It's very easy to run through an ANPR system at car legal speeds and then get a fixed penalty through the post for speeding. Unless you manage to find a car derived van which suits your needs (Renault Kangoo perhaps, but be prepared for an absolutely gutless 1.5dci engine).

You'll get no toys at all for your money as compared to a car. Vans are designed and built to get staff from one place to another, and comforts are not a consideration.

Noise. Noise. Noise. Be prepared to have a booming noisy environment to sit in while driving about. Unless you get one with a fixed bulkhead (which will probably put you into commercial vehicle territory rather than Car Derived Vans which you can look in the mirror and see out the back windows generally).

They have hard wearing interiors though.. so longer lasting and easier to clean than car ones. 

My biggest issue with the Kangoo/Berlingo/Combo is load length. The maxi versions would fit it but then I come into the issue of price as I'm not wanting to spend the earth and then some. Equipment isn't much of an issue. Remote central locking would be nice, and electric windows, but they're not dealbreakers.

Ideally, budget is around £2500 for something that might be rough around the edges that I can tart up

I've got to get a GS500 which is 2.08m long into the back of it. 

I'm currently running a 2014 new shape Ford Connect L2 and it drives great, so very car like. It does lacks power TBH it is supposed to be 90bhp but struggle's when loaded but very comfy and hasn't missed a beat for 39k miles. Decent room in the back and getting constant 43mpg on the 1.6 engine, not sure what the 1.5 engine is like on the newer version. 

Oh and it has lots of great things: Ford Sync which works well, a decent enough DAB radio, heated screen and heated mirrors plus's the front seat folds up into various options, best is the table/cup holder bit :)

I'm due to buy it off my company in a couple of months when it comes out of its lease. 

This will then be my weekend camper to replace my recently sold Peugeot Partner LX800, which for me was too cramped in the cabin for driving with the bulkhead in place but fitted my full size camp bed nicely.

Just seen your budget, sadly the newer Shape connect's are a bit more.

Edited by Defenderben

50 minutes ago, Defenderben said:

I'm currently running a 2014 new shape Ford Connect L2 and it drives great, so very car like. It does lacks power TBH it is supposed to be 90bhp but struggle's when loaded but very comfy and hasn't missed a beat for 39k miles. Decent room in the back and getting constant 43mpg on the 1.6 engine, not sure what the 1.5 engine is like on the newer version. 

Oh and it has lots of great things: Ford Sync which works well, a decent enough DAB radio, heated screen and heated mirrors plus's the front seat folds up into various options, best is the table/cup holder bit :)

I'm due to buy it off my company in a couple of months when it comes out of its lease. 

This will then be my weekend camper to replace my recently sold Peugeot Partner LX800, which for me was too cramped in the cabin for driving with the bulkhead in place but fitted my full size camp bed nicely.

Just seen your budget, sadly the newer Shape connect's are a bit more.

Yours got extras - ours (back end 2016 reg) are fleet deal specials - no dab, the speakers are terrible, no table, cup holders are crap. Noisy engine. Solid bulk head alright, but still noisy. Massive load space though.... 

What ford mean by their "duratorque" engines is theres no torque anywhere so yes, its constant :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Yours got extras - ours (back end 2016 reg) are fleet deal specials - no dab, the speakers are terrible, no table, cup holders are crap. Noisy engine. Solid bulk head alright, but still noisy. Massive load space though.... 

What ford mean by their "duratorque" engines is theres no torque anywhere so yes, its constant :D

Just heated windscreens i wish VAG would get more giddy on :D . Ford are throwing them about like a prossy with clap. 

13 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Just heated windscreens i wish VAG would get more giddy on :D . Ford are throwing them about like a prossy with clap. 

Oh yeah, ours do have heated windscreens. But i think turning it on uses 112 of the alleged horses they have. .

• Haha 2

If it means I'll get something better/more reliable, I'm open to the notion of something Traffic/Transit sized. 

Basically my aims are 40+mpg extra urban, and fitting the bike in the back. The bigger it is, the more space I'll use. Though, LT35s are way too big for my road.

54 minutes ago, FollowingGhosts said:

If it means I'll get something better/more reliable, I'm open to the notion of something Traffic/Transit sized. 

Basically my aims are 40+mpg extra urban, and fitting the bike in the back. The bigger it is, the more space I'll use. Though, LT35s are way too big for my road.

Ive still got my 1.9pd 56 plate T5 which will be for sale next month at some point if thats of any interest? 

Went to see a T4 that I spotted on eBay today but that was a bust.

it was a 1.9 that was apparently drinking water every so often (Not G12/G13, but water they'd been topping up with), had no service paperwork and no evidence for any oil changes in the last 6 years. I decided to leave it as there were too many unknowns and it didn't scream of being looked after. 

Are the later (2008+) connects any better than the early ones? They can be had for sensible money for the age and there are a few with FSH etc.