Aftermarket spare wheel options

Panther_uk

Just spoke to my dealer and they don't do a spare wheel kit they have to order all the parts individually, cost is £260 !

I've looked at other options (Q3, Tiguan etc.), a little confused as Amazon sell a kit for the Tiguan (18" wheel) for £165

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TIGUAN-SPACE-SAVER-SPARE-WHEEL/dp/B0718ZTXND/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522315248&sr=8-1&keywords=tiguan+spare+wheel

Whereas the kit for the Karoq (17" wheel) is almost £240

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skoda-Karoq-Onwards-Steel-Space/dp/B07B2Y8BNL/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522315373&sr=1-1&keywords=Karoq+spare+wheel

And just to confuse things further the Q3 (also 18") is also only £165 !!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUDI-SPACE-SAVER-SPARE-WHEEL/dp/B0722LFMHH/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522315413&sr=1-4&keywords=Q3+spare+wheel

My Karoq is on 17's so i am at a loss as to what actually fits and why the difference in price ! :thinking:

On 3/17/2018 at 11:18, Karman said:

The 4x4 has a shallower floor pan and a hard foam spacer, you do loose boot space but not massive amounts, have look at one in a show room at a dealers to set your mind at rest before you buy, I have ordered the spare with my 4x4 after seeing one in the showroom, which also had the canton sound system inside it, nothing worse than those emergency kits.

Well that's another thing my dealer didn't explain when I asked about having the spare wheel!

Ahh, ordered mine without as I forgot to add a spare wheel. Phoned the dealer yesterday to see if I can add it on and said they couldn't now as the price protection was in place and the deal has changed since. Nightmare, anyone suggest what I could do? 

Not a lot. You could either get your name on the ever lengthening list for the proper listed spare complete with polystyrene surround and jack kit which fits in the surround, or simply purchase one of the many alternative spares and have it floating around in the boot, depending on Karoq model and wheel well depth. Still waiting for mine from my Skoda dealer, and their list is growing likewise.

9 hours ago, westie38 said:

Not a lot. You could either get your name on the ever lengthening list for the proper listed spare complete with polystyrene surround and jack kit which fits in the surround, or simply purchase one of the many alternative spares and have it floating around in the boot, depending on Karoq model and wheel well depth. Still waiting for mine from my Skoda dealer, and their list is growing likewise.

Theres a waiting list ? For a spare and kit? Waiting for the car is bad enough lol. 

Ther dealer said it was like £200 odd for the spare and kit. 

Yep, you bet there is. I had my car in at DM Keith, Hull only a week ago, and the spare wheels (as accessories) are still on back order. I collected my Karoq in Febuary and I've been waiting for the spare wheel and fittings ever since - I believe I'm number three of six on the list.  At the time of purchase, I ordered the Protection Pack, and the front mud flaps which are part of the pack were not available at the time - they took about a further six weeks to come through.

Patience is a virtue, so long as you don't get a serious puncture in the meantime...

14 hours ago, Panther_uk said:

I was quoted £260 for the spare wheel kit, rip off against the £150 if you order it with the car

The reason it's cheaper with the new car is they deduct the cost of the compressor and gunk that is already factored into the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't get a spare with my Karoq all I could get was a 17" space saver off the internet, although my Edition has 19" wheels I have been told that the 17" is ok as a spacesaver as you are allowed a percentage difference in size as long as you change it asap. Anyone know anything about this.

On 4/20/2018 at 19:42, Bas1234 said:

Didn't get a spare with my Karoq all I could get was a 17" space saver off the internet, although my Edition has 19" wheels I have been told that the 17" is ok as a spacesaver as you are allowed a percentage difference in size as long as you change it asap. Anyone know anything about this.

It's the diameter of the wheel/tyre combination that's important not the actual wheel diameter on it's own. Just roll your spare alongside a wheel on the the car and I think you'll find there won't be much difference.  

Managed to pick up a brand new spare wheel, tyre, jack and wheel brace for a Seat Ateca from eBay for £50 !!

Well pleased I don't have to rely on the useless can of foam stuff !

53 minutes ago, Panther_uk said:

Managed to pick up a brand new spare wheel, tyre, jack and wheel brace for a Seat Ateca from eBay for £50 !!

Well pleased I don't have to rely on the useless can of foam stuff !

Thanks for the info, was that with the foam padding and does that fit your Karoq boot OK?

Picked up the 'Toolbox' (the polystyrene bit) from my local dealer, a whopping £8.62 including VAT ! :biggrin:

Fitted with spare and it now I am a very happy bunny

sparewheel.thumb.jpg.30573b0f9097ad43fab3dc9f966ae089.jpg

8 hours ago, Panther_uk said:

You'll be a much safer bunny too. Smart move. 

To those who say “you don’t need a spare I’ve never had a puncture”, well I had my first puncture in it today just 2 weeks in from collecting it. :worried:  Sooooo glad I ordered my spare. :)

On 04/05/2018 at 14:52, Panther_uk said:

Picked up the 'Toolbox' (the polystyrene bit) from my local dealer, a whopping £8.62 including VAT ! :biggrin:

sparewheel.thumb.jpg.30573b0f9097ad43fab3dc9f966ae089.jpg

Hi Panther-uk, when you ordered the above chunk of polystyrene, was there an option to buy a right hand side to it? I've just been to my dealers to collect, what was supposed to be a full kit - wheel, jack, tools and surround. I presume yours is a 4x2 Karoq, as the insert they'd ordered for me was the same as the above photo. It looked like an additional (r.h) would attach to it at the 12 '0' clock position. Anyway, totally useless for a 4x4 Karoq, and the parts guy was at a loss to what part I need. I've just tried Skoda UK Customer Care, but even their parts department were equally useless, even though there's a damn picture of the required surround on the Karoq Car Configurator!

I'm almost certain that there should be a replacement solid floor piece as well (to replace the thin bit of carpet when you just have an inflation kit), which would be supported on the polystyrene insert sides - can anyone who has the correct spare wheel on a 4x4 Karoq confirm this? Every single piece should have a part number attached to it, so the more info, the better.

Thanks.

Simply Skoda - Simply Clueless - Simply Disorganised.

Well I was cleaning he car this morning and checked my spare wheel was in there. And guess what yep but none of that other stuff you usually get ie compressor and sealant. Since I had to pay £150 for the spare wheel should I also have had the seat and stuff as thats what it comes with as standard. 

24 minutes ago, Madasaskaven said:

Well I was cleaning he car this morning and checked my spare wheel was in there. And guess what yep but none of that other stuff you usually get ie compressor and sealant. Since I had to pay £150 for the spare wheel should I also have had the seat and stuff as thats what it comes with as standard. 

No, the reason when you buy the car new the spare wheel and what goes with it is only £150 is they credit you with the cost of the gunk and compressor.  That's why to buy the spare wheel kit afterwards would cost over £200.

24 minutes ago, Vectis said:

No, the reason when you buy the car new the spare wheel and what goes with it is only £150 is they credit you with the cost of the gunk and compressor.  That's why to buy the spare wheel kit afterwards would cost over £200.

If only Skoda had the brains to sell you one.....