Aftermarket spare wheel options

Panther_uk

Has anyone ordered a spare wheel (3rd party or from a dealer) as they got their Karoq ?

I forgot to spec one when I ordered it, I'm waiting for the dealer to come back to me regarding getting one from Skoda including the price and the only other ones I've managed to find so far are;

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/skoda-karoq-18-space-saver-spare-wheel-lifting-jack-and-wheel-brace.html

https://www.carnoisseur.com/products/details/road-hero-spare-wheel-kit-to-fit-skoda-karoq-r001

First says 18" but goes on to say "Suitable for cars equipped with any size wheels from the factory", whilst the second is 17" (I've ordered an SE Tech model), my main concern with either of these is how you store the jack/tools.

Anyone had any experience of anything similar, I'm going to chase the dealer tomorrow for prices/availability, I assume if I can get one from Skoda it will come with the round holder that goes in the centre of the wheel to hold the tools etc.

1 hour ago, Panther_uk said:

Has anyone ordered a spare wheel (3rd party or from a dealer) as they got their Karoq ?

I forgot to spec one when I ordered it, I'm waiting for the dealer to come back to me regarding getting one from Skoda including the price and the only other ones I've managed to find so far are;

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/skoda-karoq-18-space-saver-spare-wheel-lifting-jack-and-wheel-brace.html

https://www.carnoisseur.com/products/details/road-hero-spare-wheel-kit-to-fit-skoda-karoq-r001

First says 18" but goes on to say "Suitable for cars equipped with any size wheels from the factory", whilst the second is 17" (I've ordered an SE Tech model), my main concern with either of these is how you store the jack/tools.

Anyone had any experience of anything similar, I'm going to chase the dealer tomorrow for prices/availability, I assume if I can get one from Skoda it will come with the round holder that goes in the centre of the wheel to hold the tools etc.

I forgot to order one with my superb so asked dealer for price factory price was £100.00 dealer price was £210.00 so asked why? you don't get repair kit he said so didn't order one got one for my new Karoq  

I enquired about the availability again today. Still no sign of them coming through, unless they are specced at the build stage, or sent through with a demo car. I would guess it not so much an issue with the spare wheel itself, but more to do with the surrounding chunk of polystyrene and the alternative false floor piece. Nevertheless, it's still not a good situation - surely if they can produce a few hundred, they can produce them by the thousands, as there will be quite a backlog soon.

I have an Edition Desiel 4X4 with no spare Wheel, I twisted the guys arm to through one in but because the car was a demo it won’t fit unless you loose a lot of boot space.  We looked at another one on site and that had a spare and it has a dish in the boot floor so the height remained the same.

under the carpet their is a thin bit of polystyrene 30mm in the middle. The crap pump and goo don’t even go under there. 

It it looks like a factory order and a totally different rear floor pan.

If the dealer won’t / can’t supply in an acceptable time, then just look on FleaBay and Gumshoe.

The whole jack, wheel key, towing eye, etc lives in a polystyrene mould inside the upside down spare wheel.

A PITA to check the tyre pressure, but neat and tidy.

All dependent on you having the normal hole in the floor that is not filled with Boom Box gubbin.

I know some cars hide speakers under the floor. Sometimes in the spare wheel.

19 hours ago, westie38 said:

I would guess it not so much an issue with the spare wheel itself, but more to do with the surrounding chunk of polystyrene and the alternative false floor piece.

Interestingly enough I spoke to my dealer today and he said he can get the wheel and the toolkit no problem it's all the 'gubbins' that hold it in place that's the issue !!!

On 15/03/2018 at 21:21, yeti yeti said:

I have an Edition Desiel 4X4 with no spare Wheel, I twisted the guys arm to through one in but because the car was a demo it won’t fit unless you loose a lot of boot space.  We looked at another one on site and that had a spare and it has a dish in the boot floor so the height remained the same.

under the carpet their is a thin bit of polystyrene 30mm in the middle. The crap pump and goo don’t even go under there. 

It it looks like a factory order and a totally different rear floor pan.

What the dealer told you was exactly right, you will lose a lot of boot space if you spec a spare wheel for a 4x4 Karoq. The other car you looked at must not have been a 4x4. On the two wheel drive Karoqs you don't loose boot space with the space saver spare wheel because two wheel drive cars have dished floor pan. The 4x4 cars don't have this dish to enable room for the fitting of the haldex gubbins.

The 4x4 has a shallower floor pan and a hard foam spacer, you do loose boot space but not massive amounts, have look at one in a show room at a dealers to set your mind at rest before you buy, I have ordered the spare with my 4x4 after seeing one in the showroom, which also had the canton sound system inside it, nothing worse than those emergency kits.

10 hours ago, Karman said:

The 4x4 has a shallower floor pan and a hard foam spacer, you do loose boot space but not massive amounts, have look at one in a show room at a dealers to set your mind at rest before you buy, I have ordered the spare with my 4x4 after seeing one in the showroom, which also had the canton sound system inside it, nothing worse than those emergency kits.

Nothing worse than those emergency kits? Perhaps so if you ever have to use them. I've had them in my last three cars and never had to use them once. That's not to say I've had no punctures because I've certainly had my share. In all instances the punctures were of the slow variety (isn't this the norm). I could quite easily drive to the nearest garage to get them sorted. Or pump the tyre up at home then go to the garage the next day. One time I had a huge bolt in the tyre. The head of this bolt didn't half make a racket while I was driving along but still no problem, I drove home, pumped the tyre up in the morning and got it repaired. I hate sacrificing boot space with something I might never need.  

Try using them, if you didn’t get a flat, you wouldn’t need a emergency kit let alone a spare! And if your more unlucky and your beloved nicks the sidewall well that’s another story.

I had a tyre blow out part of the sidewall of a brand new tyre, last year on my Octavia, after hitting a pothole at less than 30 mph. I was very glad of my spacesaver spare then. I wouldn’t be without one now.

20 hours ago, Karman said:

Try using them, if you didn’t get a flat, you wouldn’t need a emergency kit let alone a spare! And if your more unlucky and your beloved nicks the sidewall well that’s another story.

When that happens, I'll just ring the AA and let them tow me to the nearest garage. I would never ever entertain the idea of of changing the wheel myself at the side of a road - them days are over with. Don't get me wrong, I'd have a spare if it didn't rob me of precious boot space but I'd still ring the AA/RAC to change the wheel - is that not the norm these days?  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Horacecoker said:

When that happens, I'll just ring the AA and let them tow me to the nearest garage. I would never ever entertain the idea of of changing the wheel myself at the side of a road - them days are over with. Don't get me wrong, I'd have a spare if it didn't rob me of precious boot space but I'd still ring the AA/RAC to change the wheel - is that not the norm these days?  

Not for me when I come out of work and see it flat, by the time AA come it’s changed, home, and a cuppa in my hand., well would be if I’d got them horrible kits.

After I picked up a  Yale key in my tread at 11.00 pm on a Saturday night fubaring my tyre and not sealing with tyre mousse, I required recovery to home and was unable to source a tyre until Monday morning, a spare was the first thing on the order list for my Karoq.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, P6bJOHN said:

After I picked up a  Yale key in my tread at 11.00 pm on a Saturday night fubaring my tyre and not sealing with tyre mousse, I required recovery to home and was unable to source a tyre until Monday morning, a spare was the first thing on the order list for my Karoq.

Now that's an idea. Have a spare wheel but keep it at home. That would have been okay in your scenario. Has it happens I now realise I have no less four spare wheels in my garage in the form of my winter wheels + tyres.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Horacecoker said:

Now that's an idea. Have a spare wheel but keep it at home. That would have been okay in your scenario. Has it happens I now realise I have no less four spare wheels in my garage in the form of my winter wheels + tyres.

Pleased to be of assistance:biggrin:

On 17/03/2018 at 23:40, BoxerBoy said:

My space saver is very slim.

T 145/85 R18 103M

So so only needs a shallow hole in the floor.

Do you have the two wheel drive Karoq?  Does the spacesaver not need the polystyrene padding or whatever and just fits in a gap under the boot carpet?

I didn't give the spare wheel a second thought when ordered and then left it too late to add, so now need to buy one.  I'm assuming a Karoq without a spare from factory doesn't include the jack etc?  Should these bits fit into the spare wheel in the two wheel drive?  There's plenty from VAG on ebay with the correct size as the one specified in the specs brochure. 

I should have made it clearer.

We have 2 cars to play with.

Octavia has full size steel spare with all the Jack & tool gubbins inside the wheel in a polystyrene insert under the boot mat.

The Kodiaq has a slim space saver spare and the Jack & tool gubbins live in a separate polyestyrene “box” between the wheel and the rear bumper. I’ve filled the wheel with my heavy duty jump leads. 4WD.

I don’t know if 2WD and 4WD use different depth spare wheel wells or not.

You’ll see at a glance if your car can accommodate a full fat spare or just s skinny space saver. Then you’ll figure out where the jack fits.

If a dealer can’t supply, there s plenty popping up online £££

Can anyone who has a two wheel drive Karoq with spacesaver confirm where the jack etc lives in the boot and whether there is a need for some polystyrene holder/padding? 

My dealer has told me today they can get the spacesaver wheel for the Karoq for £172 but not with the jack etc. for some reason. 

Don't know whether to just buy a set off ebay, anyone done this yet? 

There are 3 options for spare wheel

Full size spare wheel

Full size spare wheel
Monthly from £5.99
Total £250
Add
Steel space-saving spare wheel - 125/70 R18

Steel space-saving spare wheel - 125/70 R18
Monthly from £3.59
Total £150
Add
Temporary steel space saver spare wheel - 215/60 R16

Temporary steel space saver spare wheel - 215/60 R16
Monthly from £3.59
Total £150
Edited by skoda1982
  • Thanks 1

On 18/03/2018 at 00:13, Orville said:

Tiguan and Q3 spare wheels of size 145/80 R18 will fit. There are a few on Ebay for ~£100.

Might give those a look, want to get something sorted as I have somewhat of a history with punctures :doh: