COLUMBUS SYSTEM

Tenchfisher

I am shortly due to get my new 1.5 TSI DSG Edition and will be sadly saying goodbye to my 2011 Superb. The only problem I had with this great car was the satnav in the Columbus system, which went wrong after 4 years (apparently a very common fault), necessitating an expensive replacement unit. The Columbus in the Karoq Edition  is obviously a different variant, but does anybody know if the problem with the older variant has now been resolved. The older variant reverted to giving instructions and information in German and freezing up for no apparent reason.

The Karoq will not only have a completely different unit is, the 9.2inch infotainment system, but also the software has been completely rewritten so you're unlikely to experience the same issues.

Remember, the Columbus system in your Superb is 6 1/2 years old and tech improvements are fairly rapid.

Thanks for the swift response. I'm sure you are right, it certainly looked impressive in the car I test drove.

I see you had the same Superb as me and I just loved the car, but it is just too big for me now and the Karoq looked like the right answer to my needs. I was a big fan of the 2.0 TDI engine, but the government seems intent upon demonising diesel, so I've gone back to petrol for the first time in 15 years.

4 hours ago, Tenchfisher said:

Sorry, new to this and thought the entry below your name indicated you had a Superb

No need to apologise, not your fault.

I have a Yeti Elegance and will amend that right now.  

I thought I was unlucky too Boxer Boy. Then I started reading write-ups in the press and forums and found that the fault is actually quite common, despite my local dealer telling me they had not seen it before. They then quoted £2000 for a replacement, but the workshop manager advised me to try Motor Mods, who not only knew all about the problem, which would cost over £400 to repair, with no guarantee it would not go wrong again within a year. I therefore bought a brand new replacement Columbus from them for just over £700 fitted.

It was the only serious fault with the Superb in nearly 7 years and 90000 miles of motoring, unlike my previous car a C230 Mercedes which cost me over £5k in repair bills in one year alone, before I decided to get rid of it. It even had a sting in the tail with a £500 bill for a fault it developed during the week between me agreeing the purchase of the Superb and trading in the Merc. Needless to say, it's Skoda for me and no more Mercs!

Thanks Michael G, I spoke to my dealers this morning and they are going to set up Smartlink for me when I pick up the car. Their "Columbus expert" has also promised me a couple of sessions on how to get the best out of the infotainment system, when I have had a couple of weeks to get used to the Karoq. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had my 1.5 dsg edition  for two weeks now the sat nav keeps freezing,  even though the anouncements carry on also the front park pilot is

giving me a 2 second warning before inpact , booked in to dealers on tuesday fingers crossed.