Headlamp bulb replacement

Drivers side dippped beam bulb has gone, I went to change it last night, but how the hell do you do that ? Do you have to take the headlamp out ? there is no room at the back at all.

Is there just one torx bolt holding the headlamp in ?

There is a removable panel in the top of the wheel arch lining just behind the headlamp. It just pulls free to give access for changing the headlight bulbs. It is a small access but it is designed for the purpose so it must be large enough although I have not tested it. Afterwards just push it back in place.

8 hours ago, Panther_uk said:

Drivers side dippped beam bulb has gone, I went to change it last night, but how the hell do you do that ? Do you have to take the headlamp out ? there is no room at the back at all.

Is there just one torx bolt holding the headlamp in ?

Have a search on this forum about replacement headlight bulbs, a lot of people have used a lot of +×#@$% words while trying to replace bulbs Joe

I’ll have to jump in here.

My driver’s side bulb went two weeks ago when we had all that snow. On the Monte, it’s a slightly different setup due to the projector-style headlights, as highlighted in the owner’s manual. 

I was struggling to sort the cover out (accessed via the wheel arch) due to RSI in my wrist. So I had no choice but to stop at my Skoda dealer on the way to work.

30 minutes later they emerged and told me that they’d had to remove the wheel in order to change the bulb as it’s so fiddly. 

It’s a good job I’d stopped - never heard of wheels needing to be removed in order to change a flippin bulb. Poor design.

Edited by Octy09

Had the main headlight bulbs changerd to N7 Night Breakers by an independent garage who serviced my old Skoda for years all they charged me was the cost of the bulbs. Saved my fingers and bad language :)

15 minutes ago, JoePeddos said:

Had the main headlight bulbs changerd to N7 Night Breakers by an independent garage who serviced my old Skoda for years all they charged me was the cost of the bulbs. Saved my fingers and bad language :)

Same with the Skoda dealer for mine, they just charged for the bulbs but also said that they could only fit their bulbs, which I wasn’t going to argue with at that point.

The fact that they’re so nightmarishly impossible to replace by hand - with limited space and time, is the most annoying bit.

Welcome to the 'How the **** do you change a headlight bulb' club, it almost warrants its own sub-forum!. I've not succeeded yet, despite many attempts, so far I've estopped each time because of the worry that even if I do get the old bulb out how easy will it be to get the new bulb back in? In my experience there are two issues:

1)  Access for your hand, the under wheel arch panel helps, removing the battery helps, removing a wheel probably helps although I've not tried that yet.

2) The bulb has to be pushed in while you try and pull the electrical connector off, the spring clips that hold the bulb are not strong enough to keep it in place  and the wires prevent the release of the spring clips.

One is naturally cautious about using metal tools in such a confined space.

I think there is more than one hex bolt, certainky one on the top, theres another lower down.......and may be others....

And on the 2006 Octavia, its simply clever - slide a lever/release a catch and the headlamp slides out, dead easy.........progress?

5 hours ago, thamestrader said:

Welcome to the 'How the **** do you change a headlight bulb' club, it almost warrants its own sub-forum!. I've not succeeded yet, despite many attempts, so far I've estopped each time because of the worry that even if I do get the old bulb out how easy will it be to get the new bulb back in? In my experience there are two issues:

1)  Access for your hand, the under wheel arch panel helps, removing the battery helps, removing a wheel probably helps although I've not tried that yet.

2) The bulb has to be pushed in while you try and pull the electrical connector off, the spring clips that hold the bulb are not strong enough to keep it in place  and the wires prevent the release of the spring clips.

One is naturally cautious about using metal tools in such a confined space.

I think there is more than one hex bolt, certainky one on the top, theres another lower down.......and may be others....

And on the 2006 Octavia, its simply clever - slide a lever/release a catch and the headlamp slides out, dead easy.........progress?

You're right - there needs to be a How-To thread  put together  and "stickied" to the top of the forum list here.

Along with the How-to for the Rear Lamp Cluster and maybe the Door Mirror lamp dis-assembly that matt_black_90 did a few months ago ...

And the reg plate lamp ... and the interior lamps ... etc.... !

My car has the projector type headlamps with the H7 bulbs. It's a 1.2TSi. ( Are the relevant parts of the Diesel layout different?)

I renewed the bulbs again, 2 or 3 months ago - and this time around - I found it much, much easier to do. The Nightbreakers that were installed about 18 months ago had failed.

Anyway - on the off-side/Driver's side (RHD car) is easy enough - just hold the plastic connector as firmly as poss, and rotate anti-clockwise ( from the bulb's perspective !! ) about 10 degrees should do it.

It might help to know that you are twisting out, of a Bayonet fitting.  ( which does help to know, when you're re-installing )

Some pics attached below.

So, you withdraw the plastic connector with the bulb. ( This is attached to a metal carrier which is the "other side" of the Bayonet. Pic 1 below) 

Replace your bulb ( observing usual halogen-handling care ).

Note the location of the bayonet tabs on the bulb side, and the bayonet slots ( ref. pic 2 below ) , on the headlamp unit side.

Offer the bulb carrier back into the headlamp unit.   Just twist (clockwise) that little distance that you see on the pic. "Not a lot".

On the nearside/Passenger side (yes- RHD car !), I found it essential to remove the battery. This is very easy. Clamp bolt for battery  ( either a 13 or 15mm, can't remember just now ), and then

remove the terminals (10mm spanner), negative/earth side first.

The wheel-arch inspection panel  was of no use. ( on the petrol 1.2TSi anyway - took it out first time around, and it only allowed getting a [restricted] view into the back of the lamp. )  

Waste of time taking it out.  (But, if you really want to - you don't have to take the wheel off. Unless you ... really want to. :dull: )

So, once battery is out - it's the same job as the driver's side !!!

It's all really down to gripping that plastic connector, and trusting that it will take the pressure of you turning it a little, anti-clockwise, and you have it.

There is very little feel and feedback - like clicks or definite stops, so it's a kind of difficult to know where you are. But remembering that it's just a bayonet fit, might just help.

Re-assembly in the reverse !

The Main Beam is similar - but not the exact same !  It's still a bayonet, but the metal carrier is a smidge different in design - the bayonet lugs (IIRC) are made from

two Allen head screws - the bayonet tabs on the bulb carrier are slotted in below the heads of the screws, as I recall. Anyway - that's for another day! 

I expect all of this is different for the non-projector H4-bulbed cars? 

H7 Bulb Assembly.jpg

Headlamp Bulb Bayonet mount.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dithane. Ah if only I had projector headlamps......... Seems that its probably true to say that the MAJOR advantage of projector over standard headlights is that you can actually replace the bulbs yourself! I bought Phillips 130+ bulbs for the Fabia, I had upgraded my Touran with the same bulbs and the improvement was dramatic (the Toruan is projector twist fits- dead easy 2 minute job) so I thought the Fabia would just as easy......Unfortunately as I'd bought the bulbs online the Halfords and Dealer options would mean buying more bulbs.....

dithane

Any problems with taking out battery eg loss of memory with infotainment/alarm.

jim j

1 hour ago, jimjill said:

dithane

Any problems with taking out battery eg loss of memory with infotainment/alarm.

jim j

No, jim J ... apart from resetting the clock - not the date, as I recall - just the time on the clock! 

Temporary logs might have been  zeroed too ( distance since refuel, etc..) 

Otherwise - it’s a piece of cake! 

3 hours ago, thamestrader said:

Thanks Dithane. Ah if only I had projector headlamps......... Seems that its probably true to say that the MAJOR advantage of projector over standard headlights is that you can actually replace the bulbs yourself! I bought Phillips 130+ bulbs for the Fabia, I had upgraded my Touran with the same bulbs and the improvement was dramatic (the Toruan is projector twist fits- dead easy 2 minute job) so I thought the Fabia would just as easy......Unfortunately as I'd bought the bulbs online the Halfords and Dealer options would mean buying more bulbs.....

Ah, OK, thamestrader,

Is there a chance of getting  a camera in there and take a few pics ? - it might  make more sense (!) then?? 

Although it sounds like you’ve a good handle on the layout. 

It does sound extremely tight - the projector ones are still pretty tight too! 

There’s a recent Polo video on YouTube showing headlamp removal - it looks fairly straightforward - but I can’t access YouTube easily just now - will have a look later and post if I find.

I hate for routine stuff like this to be getting the better of us !!!

Right, well, had a bit of spare time during the week, so I decided to fit a pair of eBay H4 LED headlight bulbs that I've had lying around for a few months, so here's what I found.

Firstly my Fabia has the non-projector headlights with the single hi/lo H4 bulbs. Those with projector headlamps may not find this post of much benefit.

I found there is adequate space behind the driver's side headlamp to easily access the bulb - I didn't have to remove the access panel in the wheel arch and put my hand up through it!

Access on the passenger side is pretty effectively blocked by the battery. I found it was quicker, easier and simpler to just remove the battery. I did this by removing the terminal clamps with a 10mm spanner, then simply undid the 13mm bolt holding the battery in at the bottom.  Here's a tip - remove the negative terminal first, that way if you do somehow manage to hit something metal with the spanner while undoing the terminal it won't short out.

With the battery removed access to the back of the headlight was just as easy as the driver's side.

A few things I noticed after I reconnected the battery: I had to set the time (but not the date, and not the radio station presets) on the Bolero entertainment system; all fuel consumption data was lost. And curiously the express up / down feature stopped working on the driver's window - this was remedied by closing the driver's window, then lifting the button up for about 5 seconds.

So, all in all a pretty simple affair. 

In case anyone's wondering, the LED bulbs were complete rubbish - not particularly bright and a completely lousy beam pattern. They were removed and sent straight to the rubbish bin.

On 3/19/2018 at 11:22, Dithane said:

I expect all of this is different for the non-projector H4-bulbed cars? 

Actually, after reading your post, I don't think so. I found the procedure pretty much as you described it. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shenanigans000 said:

A few things I noticed after I reconnected the battery: I had to set the time (but not the date, and not the radio station presets) on the Bolero entertainment system; all fuel consumption data was lost. And curiously the express up / down feature stopped working on the driver's window - this was remedied by closing the driver's window, then lifting the button up for about 5 seconds.

I had a local garage change the battery in my previous car (an Octavia), they plugged a battery pack into the cigarette lighter to keep all the electrics powered up while they did it so nothing got reset.

Quite a good idea, I thought.

Edited by alan4856732

10 hours ago, alan4856732 said:

they plugged a battery pack into the cigarette lighter

On some cars the power outlet ( cigarette lighter )  is not live with the ignition off.

A better way is to use battery power through the OBD port with the correct cable.

14 hours ago, Shenanigans000 said:

Here's a tip - remove the negative terminal first,

You should always disconnect the Negative first on modern cars and then reconnect the Negative last.

Also make sure all electrical items are off long before any battery disconnection.

A car could be described as a computer on wheels these days.

Thanks AG Falco

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shenanigans000 said:
18 hours ago, Shenanigans000 said:

Actually, after reading your post, I don't think so. I found the procedure pretty much as you described it. 

Good to hear that - should be useful for some of the others on here.

Didn't have your issue with the One-touch Open/Close on drivers door window. Curious the way these things go !

Edited by Dithane

21 hours ago, Dithane said:

Didn't have your issue with the One-touch Open/Close on drivers door window.

It can be down to if you had the window up or down when you disconnect the battery.

PS. up is best but with the doors unlocked.

Thanks Ag Falco

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

+++ for the remark about the Octavia; my 2009 facelift model still has this feature. Great for changing a bulb on a winternight roadside stop - in the warmth of the car itself.

When I asked about changing bulbs before ordering, the salesman told me you could still remove the headlight unit after undoing a couple of bolts (then again he also promised us LED headlamps...). As long as those are easy-access bolts that still sounds preferable to the official procedure. Even if it doesn't involve removing battery or wheel(s), there is still a whole lot of form over function going on here that the designers clearly never had to test on their own car (outside in the wrong Czech weather conditions)!

I just changed the bulbs from factory fitted to Nightbreaker Plus on wife’s Fabia colour edition.

Theyre awkward to fit, the worst part was trying to located the bulbs in the housing is the tricky part. When located a quick turn anticlockwise, locked in with no effort. The off side was a different story, had to remove the battery, 10mm for the terminals and 13mm for the battery clamp.  Also there is ty-wrap needs to be cut, to release the positive battery terminal.

The bulbs are fiddlely, but when located just a small turn to lock the bulb into position. Also the bulbs are easy to remove from the connector.

• Like 1