2012 VRS DSG fault

I have a 2012 VRS Fabia it has done only about 20K miles!

A couple of weeks ago the dsg box started playing up.  going up a hill it got "stuck" in 4th 

I had a service and had the gearbox oil etc changed.

Yesterday I was driving got to a junction and tried to pull off but nothing happened the car said D but no gear number next to it.  I rebooted the car (turn it off and on again :)  and it was fine

I have the following errors

P0841 Transmission fluid pressure sensor switch a circuit range / performance - INTERMITTENT

P0841 Transmission gluid pressure sensor switch a circuit range / performance - INTERMITTENT

177F Hydraulic unit supply pump motor - Permanent

I am reading lots of faults about the gearbox and some eye watering costs!

Could it just be a sensor or pump?

TIA

Tim

Who serviced it and changed the oil and why?  Was a software update tried first after running diagnostics?

Did they know what they were doing?   Has it Synthetic oil in now or Mineral.

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Sadly could be the Mechatronic Control Unit,  so see Sittingbulls post up in the pinned thread at top of page.

Had your DSG had Service Campaign '34F7' carried out,  Sticker in the boot if done. (your DSG service done, is a problem.)

The synthetic Oil changed for mineral oil and the software update.  If so contact Skoda UK about the fault. 

They knew they have to get involved, the Service Campaign was done because they knew there were issues, and ones not done are having issues now.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

Edited by AwaoffSki

The oil used was G052512A2 - I am sure he knows what he is doing.

Not sure about the Software update  I will check the 34F7  and I did check the recall actions against the VIN

T

So did that show not needing anything?

Have you looked at the Service Book or Spare Tyre well to see if '34F7' was carried out?

Very important if it had in Factory Fill Synthetic and no '34F7' done,  or Factory fill Mineral Oil and no need for '34F7', so not done.

& what now as far as Software. 

Volkswagen Issues Global Recall of 2.64 Million Vehicles - Page 14.mhtml

VW Polo _ Vento DSG_ Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT_ now resolved! - Page 3 - Team-BHP.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki

23 hours ago, Tall_Tim said:

I have a 2012 VRS Fabia it has done only about 20K miles!

A couple of weeks ago the dsg box started playing up.  going up a hill it got "stuck" in 4th 

I had a service and had the gearbox oil etc changed.

Yesterday I was driving got to a junction and tried to pull off but nothing happened the car said D but no gear number next to it.  I rebooted the car (turn it off and on again :)  and it was fine

I have the following errors

P0841 Transmission fluid pressure sensor switch a circuit range / performance - INTERMITTENT

P0841 Transmission gluid pressure sensor switch a circuit range / performance - INTERMITTENT

177F Hydraulic unit supply pump motor - Permanent

I am reading lots of faults about the gearbox and some eye watering costs!

Could it just be a sensor or pump?

TIA

Tim

Hi Tall Tim,

My recommendation based on our ongoing experience (ours is also an early 2012 vRS) would be that you have those faults checked at your nearest reputable dealership as soon as you can. There could very well be a charge for the diagnostic check. I would make sure Skoda UK were aware of the issue at the same time as making the booking at the dealership.

The pump in ours failed due to a fluid leak, it lost pressure required due to the leak hence the pump failed., we got a flashing spanner rather than telling us what gear we were in. Because we were incorrectly advised, we drove the car for perhaps another 200 miles (max) after the spanner appeared and unknowingly worsened the problem. If it's the sensors or pump within the mechatronic its best to find out quickly and open a dialogue with the dealer and Skoda, as you will need help from the dealer to pressure Skoda into helping should it in fact be a new mech that's needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick clarification of sorts on my last post responding to Tall Tim.

In the post above I mentioned that we had driven the car perhaps 200 miles after flashing spanner appeared, it may have been less but nonetheless the reason for this post is to point out the worsening of the position (from needing mechatronic unit to potentially requiring entire gearbox) had nothing to do with driving as such and more to do with the time taken to get it diagnosed and checked. The wee car sat for a week doing nothing at home as Anne was frightened to drive it, her instincts were telling her it wasn't an inspection service as she knows the symbol for a service and it wasn't the same as this, and sat again when Anne was poorly with the flu. 

But as it was sitting, so the fluid was leaking, unbeknown to us. And the more it leaked, so the pressure was dropping, again unbeknown to us. So that when it came time to take it to the dealer on 3 February 2018, the damage was done and it was undriveable due to jamming in gear (we didn't know that either as it only showed as flashing spanner and unable to select a gear).

We contacted the first dealership on 17 January to check the symbol out as we were worried it was transmission related appearing as it did within the PRNDS area of the MFD. The earliest date that could be offered to carry out inspection service and reset lamp (this is what both dealers said it was) was 9th Feb in one case and 3rd Feb in the other, so we took the earliest booking. It was on that journey, some fortnight after the spanner first appeared, that the car broke down completely. On trying to get the car booked in thereafter, we were told the earliest date would be 21 Feb or 26 Feb, though if we put car in earlier they might have a look earlier than that.

All the while, the fluid was leaking, the pump had failed, and the position worsened dramatically. 

So for anyone reading through the last few wee posts, the lesson on this is when the spanner appears in the PRNDS area, especially if you have had an engine change, time really is of the essence in addressing the problem. Get the car to the dealer asap, contact Skoda UK asap, get a case number and fight.

• Like 1

Guys thanks for the post I will try and get it in to Skoda

However had a long chat with the mechanic today.  He thinks it is a wiring fault

The fault happens maybe once every couple of days.  If you turn the car off and back on its fine for another day or 2.  Sometimes if you put in neutral and back to drive it sometimes clears it 

I asked why the change of fluids originally and it was there wasn't a fault listed and it was the cheaper and quickest way to see the state of clutch gearbox by replacing the fluid.  If loads of metal came out it would be properly broke  

Does this make sense ?

Make sure the person that you spoke to does not touch your car.

The Fluid was changed from Synthetic to Mineral because of Internal Corrosion and sulphur.

There were millions of DQ200 DSG recalled in a World Wide Recall and then in Europe just a Service Campaign.

So the Factory Synthetic Oil was changed to mineral oil at the Service Campaign and a Software Update Carried out.

(Nothing to do with looking for particles of metal.)

In New Zealand the 'Service Campaign' included replacing the MCU, and that was a Recall.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign 

Does you car show here for any Recall Actions?

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

or ask SKODA

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

??

Is there a sticker in the spare tyre well showing '34F7'  with the date when the Service Campaign was done. 

*Not all DSG needed it doing but ones that had not are failing now.*

Only weeks after VW said and Autocar reported that There was no need for a RECALL in the UK.

VW, Audi, Skoda & SEAT started Service Campaigns after persuading VOSA /DfT now DVSA that they could do a SERVICE CAMPAIGN as not SAFETY CRITICAL.

AUTOCAR never did an article saying U Turn by VW Group. But Service Campaign instead of full RECALL.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-uk-why-we-dont-need-dsg-recall 

Be aware of just how much it can cost dealing with Technicians and others that should have all the gear and an idea and often do not.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/315115-service-campaign-dq200-dsg-oil-changeecu-update-fabias-in-the-uk/?page=6 

It is not only in Fabias, it can be any DQ200 2009-2013,  then another service campaign is 2013-2015, '34H5'.

Now in 2018 some DQ200 from 2014 on have issues and there is a TPI on those.

Edited by AwaoffSki