1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

10 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The fact you're able to post the link would suggest a work-around, or that Briskoda hasn't flagged that site as not allowed.

I tried to post a link to another Kodiaq forum and the post was automatically held / hidden until approved by a moderator, which it wasn't.

Hopefully a screen grab is allowed...

Capture.thumb.JPG.5b528ea4922d64729efc5b5353a0f73e.JPG

Mine does  it regardless of temperature, hot or cold so maybe not the fix we hope for.  I heard about a fix for fault below  70 degrees some time ago at my dealers but they thought  it didn't relate to my issue. 

• Like 1

Managing concerned owners expectations, or massaging them by telling them a load of sharn.    (Sharn is horse sh!te incase lost in translation as VW often has.)

• Like 1

In our dealership this morning and they also confirmed the issue, Skoda know about it, but there is no solution (which they think will involve an engine remapping) and they have no info on when a solution will become available.

Had my weekly update from the helpful as She can be lady at Skoda UK, same story, yes we know there is a fault and we are working on it. 

They informed me that the fix will be the other side of Christmas at the very earliest.

I insisted that this is a safety issue and they should put me in another car until fixed, Skoda legal team still say no to rejection and no to a loan car as they don't believe it is a safety issue.

It also seems my clutch has decided it doesn't like being ridden to counteract the kangarooing.... parked up tonight and the car reeks from the outside of burning/stuck clutch! it's actually slipping at 2500 revs upwards in 2nd :sadsmile:

My escalation to Lex has worked really well so far, after 10 days an auto mail :@

Good afternoon

Please be advised that we are still in the process of progressing your complaint and will be in touch as soon as we have an update.  If you have any questions in the meantime then please do not hesitate to a call me on the number below.

Dont let dealerships bully you into taking a car back after they have 'investigated' it. Sadly they can potentially argue that you are accepting the fault by doing so. We all know this defect is a safety issue. Try asking the dealership/Skoda to put in writing that they 100% guarantee that this kangarooing is not potentially dangerous! 

A defect does not need to be a safety issue in order for you to officially reject the car by law within 6 months and get a refund. The defect needs to have been present from when you first had the car. Faults that develop later may be considered warranty issues. This kangarooing is not a warranty issue. It is a known fundamental defect with this engine.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

They informed me that the fix will be the other side of Christmas at the very earliest.

Talks cheap.......But they still haven’t put it writing and stated which Christma:D

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

Talks cheap.......But they still haven’t put it writing and stated which Christma:D

I’m promised a call back from Skoda on Monday. I’ll definitely press them on which Christmas if they actually tell me the fix will be available after Christmas. 

55 minutes ago, LittleOwl said:

Dont let dealerships bully you into taking a car back after they have 'investigated' it. Sadly they can potentially argue that you are accepting the fault by doing so. We all know this defect is a safety issue. Try asking the dealership/Skoda to put in writing that they 100% guarantee that this kangarooing is not potentially dangerous! 

A defect does not need to be a safety issue in order for you to officially reject the car by law within 6 months and get a refund. The defect needs to have been present from when you first had the car. Faults that develop later may be considered warranty issues. This kangarooing is not a warranty issue. It is a known fundamental defect with this engine.

Very good point I shall ask them to put it in writing that it isn't dangerous.

On 08/11/2018 at 09:52, xman said:

Should be fun if we have a prolonged "beast from the east" event this winter. Interesting it can affect DSG too.

I have a 1 month old 19 year 1.5TSI DSG SEL that I love. I live in a street with a 20mph speed limit so when I drive away it is with minimum throttle as its slightly downhill and there are children around going to school. Until the vehicle has warmed up the engine hunts up and down uncontrollably. No way can you drive it slowly easily. When winter arrives it will only get worse. So I agree the problem is there when cold with the DSG gearbox as well. It has occurred to me I should try to drive it in manual mode retain low gear and increase the revs but its definitely a fault. 

On 17/11/2018 at 08:22, Doogle69 said:

I have a 1 month old 19 year 1.5TSI DSG SEL that I love. I live in a street with a 20mph speed limit so when I drive away it is with minimum throttle as its slightly downhill and there are children around going to school. Until the vehicle has warmed up the engine hunts up and down uncontrollably. No way can you drive it slowly easily. When winter arrives it will only get worse. So I agree the problem is there when cold with the DSG gearbox as well. It has occurred to me I should try to drive it in manual mode retain low gear and increase the revs but its definitely a fault. 

I have exactly the same car and exactly the same fault that you have explained very neatly. I am booked in with the dealer for them to look in to it. 

Just had a call from Skoda Customer Services. No new news, no fix, no timescale!

Asked them to put it all in writing which they said they would although I haven’t received it yet.

Agent also advised me that my Service Manager had said that it is not a safety issue. (All recorded I’m sure) I sincerely hope that  comment does not come back to bite him.

I’ve just emailed dealer to advise them that their temporary fix of using Shell V Power in Eco mode 

had had no beneficial effects whatsoever to my car.

Back to the drawing board!!

Edited by AMC150
Word change

Had my update from the lease company today finally, I can't copy it word for word as the mail is marked confidential.

The gist of it is

They have spoken with Skoda and they have been advised that the need to over rev the vehicle is a characteristic of all the new 1.5ltr engines on the range. They have taken legal advice and been advised that it is not grounds to reject the vehicle and it is not a safety concern.  They are planning to release a software update in the new year to improve the experience.

They (the lease company) have asked an independent inspection company, xxx to arrange to inspect the vehicle and provide an independent assessment. Once the inspection report has been received they will contact me to discuss the findings.

characteristic :@ no it's a fault and they have admitted as such.

I also mentioned that between 2500-3000 revs the clutch seems to be slipping or starting to, it did this going over the Peaks yesterday and at one point check driving gear flashed up even though the car was in gear, odd that it's not slipping low end.

Skoda have said they will replace the clutch under warranty as they accept it's a consequence of having to adapt my driving style, I'll get it booked in and ask if they can adjust the mixture screw while they are at it :D well it's modern fangled virtual version of one!

17 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

I'll get it booked in and ask if they can adjust the mixture screw while they are at it :D well it's modern fangled virtual version of one!

^^^:giggle::giggle:

Make sure they adjust both if its a twin choke! :giggle:

1 hour ago, TheRealExile said:

Had my update from the lease company today finally, I can't copy it word for word as the mail is marked confidential.

The gist of it is

They have spoken with Skoda and they have been advised that the need to over rev the vehicle is a characteristic of all the new 1.5ltr engines on the range. They have taken legal advice and been advised that it is not grounds to reject the vehicle and it is not a safety concern.  They are planning to release a software update in the new year to improve the experience.

They (the lease company) have asked an independent inspection company, xxx to arrange to inspect the vehicle and provide an independent assessment. Once the inspection report has been received they will contact me to discuss the findings.

characteristic :@ no it's a fault and they have admitted as such.

I also mentioned that between 2500-3000 revs the clutch seems to be slipping or starting to, it did this going over the Peaks yesterday and at one point check driving gear flashed up even though the car was in gear, odd that it's not slipping low end.

Skoda have said they will replace the clutch under warranty as they accept it's a consequence of having to adapt my driving style, I'll get it booked in and ask if they can adjust the mixture screw while they are at it :D well it's modern fangled virtual version of one!

Isn’t it interesting that when I spoke to Skoda on Monday they said there was no timescale for a fix and they’ve now confirmed that in an email. Neither did they make any mention of it being a “characteristic” of the 1.5.

I’m not sure I’m going to believe anything until and if I ever get called in for a fix.

You would have thought  they would be singing from the same hymn sheet at least.

Edited by AMC150
Error

If you have to "over rev" to pull away than the car is not fit for purpose and makes you look and sound like a poor/inexperienced driver! And as TheRealExile has already found out that sort of driving can lead to premature clutch wear.

Interesting that they have agreed to replace the clutch. How many clutches are Skoda going to replace or are they going to revert to the usual it's the customers fault or stick their heads in the sand?

They are relying on good old British apathy and politeness. 90%+ will not follow through with a complaint after being fobbed off.

Interesting that legal advice has been taken by Skoda.

Maybe to get the WLTP/RDE target figures, VW had to tune the bottom end maps this way. Or perhaps additional weight savings, lighter flywheel, crank, pistons etc have reduced the rotational inertia too low for slow speed tractability.

In both cases there may be little they can do apart from "throttle assistance”

I wonder if independents will be able to remap the latest ecus in the 1.5tsi to overcome the problem.

We might be seeing a silently redesigned 1.5tsi in the next couple of years, like they did with the 1.2tsi.

I have a 1.5 SE L on order due late Feb/early March, Deposit paid.   Now wondering if I have done the right thing?

Should I sit tight and hope this issue will be resolved by Skoda (Some posts are suggesting a fix may be available in the new year) and perhaps make a decision closer to delivery date, or cut my losses now?

I am convinced that a remap would sort out this problem. Mine seems to be worst when the air (as opposed to the engine) is cold. I like the comments about mixture because that's exactly what it seems like (I know I don't have any carburettors!). It's reluctant to go when you press the pedal and then gets very upset if you press the pedal too much. This is software IMHO, although very happy to be corrected if it sorts things out! With a DSG it's not causing such severe problems as you guys with a manual, but it's certainly very annoying. I will definitely keep banging the drum!

The effects may not be so apparent on vehicles with DSG but you can’t tell what extra strain/damage might be happening but only time will tell.......unfortunately 

Just spoke to Skoda UK and they are putting this in an email that they recognise the issue same as above they say its not a safety issue etc etc....but they are looking into a fix for Q2 2019.   

• Haha 2