1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

7 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

Did you, or for that matter, anyone else on here with an MY18 model, report the problems to the DVSA? If so, has there been a different response from DVSA?

Is there anything to indicate that DVSA is aware that there is a difference between MY18 and MY19 models?

I hope that DVSA has gone into this affair more thoroughly than the pathetic 'Whatcar' publication ....... which looks more like an advertisement for VAG cars.

No I didn’t report it to DVSA so don’t know if they are aware. Their response appears woolly and accepting of the AWVG position as they’ve now “closed their file”  on this fault.

Do not know, if TPI 2050744/8 still valid or later revision released as 2050744/9 ...

Same ECUs used at manual and DSG cars, updates are still available for

Karoq

engine ECU 05E906018 R, old software versions 5684 and 6090, where new one is 7421 (ECU 05E906018 R used from 30.7.2018 at cars with OPF/GPF)

engine ECU 05E906018 P (pre 30.7.2018 without OPF/GPF) still nothing

engine ECU 05E906018 S (4x4 with OPF/GPF) still nothing

Kodiaq

engine ECU 05E906018 AF, old software versions 5683, 6085 and 7176, where new one is 7418

Superb III

engine ECU 05E906018 C, old software versions 5886 and 6091, where new one is 7420

Octavia III

engine ECU 05E906018 A   still nothing
engine ECU 05E906018 BH   still nothing
engine ECU 05E906018 AL    still nothing

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/446820-15-sel-first-gear-issue/?do=findComment&comment=5225054

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/446820-15-sel-first-gear-issue/?do=findComment&comment=5225159

Edited by rayx
  • Thanks 1

noticed an interesting fact, for example in Ukraine, I have not found a single complaint about the "kangaroo" problem from the owners. 

I assume that countries where there are no emission regulations, cars have firmware without affecting emissions. 

• Like 2

So. In the midst of rejection conversations, I get my car booked in for another update on Monday. The service department assure me it will solve the 'juddering' as they call it. However the official advice is it needs 500 miles to take full effect. Now I'm no computer nerd, but I thought when you had a computer upgrade, the results were instant....? Could this be Skoda trying to buy time in case it doesn't work....... Maybe I'm too cynical!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rich1point5SEL said:

So. In the midst of rejection conversations, I get my car booked in for another update on Monday. The service department assure me it will solve the 'juddering' as they call it. However the official advice is it needs 500 miles to take full effect. Now I'm no computer nerd, but I thought when you had a computer upgrade, the results were instant....? Could this be Skoda trying to buy time in case it doesn't work....... Maybe I'm too cynical!

The jury's out on that and I think it'll depend on who you ask. I've had the update and they told me 600 miles give or take for the ECU to re-acclimate to individual driving style but I, and others here who've had the update, have already noticed quite a significant difference.

Computer analogy is a bit flawed, think of it more as a computer filing system. When it's brand new and you start piling programs onto it there can be a period where it slows down. Many systems nowadays have algorithms that 'learn' the user's most commonly accesses applications, programs and files and it caches those for faster access. This takes time and use for it to build it's profile of your usage patterns.

Whether Skoda are just saying this to buy them some time I wouldn't like to say, but it's not completely out of the realms of possibility that there is some truth to this and that it applies to any ECU update. The car will kind of learn your driving style, how heavy you are on the accelerator, whether you anticipate braking or are a last second pedal pusher, stuff like that. How this effects the engine's behaviour I do not know but I know that those metrics are obtained because that's how the car estimates your range based on your driving history and consumption. So I 'think' it's possible. Best thing for you to do is have the update and see if it makes any difference straight away like it has for those who've had it applied and then see how you feel about where you go from there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevieweevie said:

The jury's out on that and I think it'll depend on who you ask. I've had the update and they told me 600 miles give or take for the ECU to re-acclimate to individual driving style but I, and others here who've had the update, have already noticed quite a significant difference.

Computer analogy is a bit flawed, think of it more as a computer filing system. When it's brand new and you start piling programs onto it there can be a period where it slows down. Many systems nowadays have algorithms that 'learn' the user's most commonly accesses applications, programs and files and it caches those for faster access. This takes time and use for it to build it's profile of your usage patterns.

Whether Skoda are just saying this to buy them some time I wouldn't like to say, but it's not completely out of the realms of possibility that there is some truth to this and that it applies to any ECU update. The car will kind of learn your driving style, how heavy you are on the accelerator, whether you anticipate braking or are a last second pedal pusher, stuff like that. How this effects the engine's behaviour I do not know but I know that those metrics are obtained because that's how the car estimates your range based on your driving history and consumption. So I 'think' it's possible. Best thing for you to do is have the update and see if it makes any difference straight away like it has for those who've had it applied and then see how you feel about where you go from there.

Thanks for the insight. When you say significant difference. Is that a positive or negative one?

Sent our Octavia back to dealer three weeks ago,and told them not to give it back until fixed.  They did mention an update, which requires a 500 mile running in period.  I laughed, because the night before Skoda UK emailed me, reinstating there was still no update.    

Well it sounds promising for the Karoq owners, after reading the initial feed back on the other pages within this forum.  May be hope is in sight.

Got my update this week and so far so good. The car has not bogged down pulling away in 1st or 2nd - feels sportier. 😊

Still too early to tell if the kangarooing is fixed as it is too warm outside at the moment.

Fuel economy the same or even slightly better as well. 

My service manager confirmed to me on Friday that current update is for MY19 only so either yours or mine is wrong. Hardly surprising though considering what has gone before.

4 hours ago, Kadders said:

I thought you were told. O update yet? What changed as my dealer days update still awaited. Did the dealer call you or Skoda UK?

Thanks in advance.

I called UK Skoda as they had to tell the dealer how to get the update on their systems.

@Kadders

Welcome.

Maybe best say exactly what your Karoq 1.5 TSI is.

What was the build date, what spec, and is it a manual or dsg that you have? 

Phoning Skoda UK is fine but who are you speaking to there?

You need their replies in writing because for some reason they must be hiring casual staff on a daily basis with a keyboard and no password to sign in.

Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 08.10.43.png

Edited by Skoffski

On 19/05/2019 at 15:51, Kadders said:

My vehicle is MY19. Dealer days no update yet.

48 minutes ago, Kadders said:

Anyone had update in recent days? Phoned Skoda UK yesterday; still no update for my Karoq 1.5 TSI

Well, if it is not 4x4, it must have engine ECU number 05E906018R, software version 5684 or 6090, and for it is available update already from 13th March 2019, version 7421 ...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/446820-15-sel-first-gear-issue/?do=findComment&comment=5236686

just to show how the update file looks like :cool: FL_05E906018R_7421__V001.frf taken from the source data Flashdaten_Skoda_20190430_xKDcj.zip

FL_05E906018R_7421__V001.frf

Edited by rayx
  • Thanks 1

On 19/05/2019 at 13:41, Kadders said:

I thought you were told. O update yet? What changed as my dealer days update still awaited. Did the dealer call you or Skoda UK?

Thanks in advance.

Try phoning 01144503176  and ask to speak to a Customer Relations Manager (Skoda UK) and then explain the issues with your Karoq and ask if an update is available for your MY19 vehicle, you could be given a case reference number.

The person you speak to will want the registration number and/or the VIN number of your Karoq.

I put my Karoq in to my nearest Skoda retailer to get the "hesitation" update on April 30th with the help of Skoda UK who passed on the update to that retailer as far as I can make out.

Edited by Apprentice
typo

Thanks for that pointer - I called Skoda UK on 03330 037 504 - explained the situation - they took it on board, confirmed my MY19 Karoq SE L 1.5 TSI manual details from their database, confirmed there is a software update, and gave me a case ref number. Took about 5 minutes. Now I just need to find time take it to a dealership for diagnostics and update . .

The only Diagnostics that can show anything is the roads test as the plugging in shows nothing, no issues, nothing to see here just the car as it left the factory.

Really 'Skoda / VW UK' should be sending out all these 'extra staff' in vehicles that they had to do the 'Emissions Fix'. 

Man or Woman in a van attending Owner / Keepers home, work or where ever.

Put their self out instead of the Paying Customers that bought what they expect to be a fit for purpose vehicle.

Remember and charge out of pocket expenses, and the same hourly rate for time spent as a Dealership would charge on labour seems in order.

VW Group will be putting down for tax benefits as usual Corporate losses.

Skoda UK phoned me today in response to my complaint.

They advised a software update is available now for my Karoq 1.5tsi MY19 and to take it to dealer to be done. 

Unimpressed my dealer (Winner, Coleford) seem to know nothing about the available update. In fact they said last week they would book the car in immediately if there was an available fix. Skoda are going to phone the dealer to inform them.

Skoda said this is phase 1 update to address engine cut out. Phase 2 in next two months for kangarooing. 

I think I will need to give them the opportunity to fix it before rejection of vehicle anyway. I like the car, it's just the kangarooing that's so annoying. If they fix it very soon great otherwise I'll look elsewhere. 

Any thoughts ref alternatives. I'd prefer petrol not diesel, and will need to tow.

6 minutes ago, Kadders said:

Any thoughts ref alternatives. I'd prefer petrol not diesel, and will need to tow.

If you like the Karoq, and the 1.0 TSI isn't powerful enough, then take a drive in SEAT's Ateca...

6 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

If you like the Karoq, and the 1.0 TSI isn't powerful enough, then take a drive in SEAT's Ateca...

You mean that Ateca that comes with the option of the same 1.5 TSI powerplant that has the issue?

Doesn't seem like great advice to me since people who don't know might not realise that these are all the same vehicles sharing a platform and powerplants. They will therefore share many of the characteristics and flaws across the engine range.

Unless you're recommending the 2L petrol but that is not explicit in your signposting.

• Like 1