1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

2 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

You’re spoiled by that Vrs!’

I’ve always driven quickish cars all my life and I was torn between an Octavia VRs petrol and the Karoq. I’m 68 now so let my head rule my heart and chose the Karoq. Mmmmmm........

Maybe  next time. Don’t like the black roof lining or the tight seats, I’ve spread a bit in my older age.

I have the large sunroof in the VRS which helps lift the gloom as the shade is always left open. Seats are on the snug side but it helps when cornering at interesting speeds! Cars are very different to drive. Karoq so quiet and ride super comfy (our SEL has the 18" alloys with baloon sidewalls). VRS mega fast, harsh ride, noisy but as much FUN as your MX5.:devil:

5 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

Totally agree. I think we should bombard Skoda to force them into doing something. 

I’m keeping the revs above 2k now when moving off and slipping the clutch. It works well. Just hope the clutch lasts till I swap in two years.

Every time I leave the traffic lights with 2,000 revs dialled in it must appear to the person next to me I want to race them. HA HA HA!:tongueout:

Yeh, I just chopped a Leon for the Karoq. So different!!

hard and harsh but great fun to quiet and comfy. Not sure yet which I prefer despite my advancing years.

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Every time I leave the traffic lights with 2,000 revs dialled in it must appear to the person next to me I want to race them. HA HA HA!:tongueout:

Hahahaha!! 

3 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

Yeh, I just chopped a Leon for the Karoq. So different!!

hard and harsh but great fun to quiet and comfy. Not sure yet which I prefer despite my advancing years.

Surprised how high up it seems in the Karoq almost at Range Rover eye level, yet the VRS feels like I am in a Lotus Elise the seat seems so low in comparison (not as low as an MX5 granted).:giggle:

Picked up my Karoq 1.5 SEL three weeks ago and have been having this same problem. I thought it was just me until I found this Forum. Sounds like it is time for a visit to a dealer. 

When you do go, they will insist that  the computer says there is nothing wrong. Tell them you want this flagging up to Skoda. The more of us that complain, the more likely they are to do something about it.

I emailed Skoda customer services to register my dissatisfaction formally and they told me to take the car back to the dealer. Been there! Done that!!

2 hours ago, RMCM said:

Picked up my Karoq 1.5 SEL three weeks ago and have been having this same problem. I thought it was just me until I found this Forum. Sounds like it is time for a visit to a dealer. 

See my response below 

4 minutes ago, TPauly said:

You just get used to it and it doesn't take long to get your feet and pedals right to pull away smoothly ? :)

True, but it’s still not right. My 6th Skoda and 1st with this issue,

2 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

True, but it’s still not right. My 6th Skoda and 1st with this issue,

but it is what it is, what do you think the dealer is going to do about it, its a quirk of that engine setup which presumably you test drove ??

1 hour ago, TPauly said:

but it is what it is, what do you think the dealer is going to do about it, its a quirk of that engine setup which presumably you test drove ??

The dealer can’t do anything but the manufacturer can!

1 minute ago, TPauly said:

and good luck with that one lol

It has already been flagged to Skoda technical so we shall see. If no one complains, nothing will happen. Previously I had an Octavia 1.4 tsi and that was fine so why has this issue started with the introduction of the 1.5?

t-roc 1.5 and Octavia 1.5 manual drivers are also making same comments. Foolishly, I only test drove the dsg having had a 1.4 manual Octavia previously. Big mistake! I would not have ordered the manual had I known of this quirk, fault, problem whatever you want to call it. Can’t be anything huge so c’mon Skoda, sort it!!!! Make a great car even better.

Just now, AMC150 said:

It has already been flagged to Skoda technical so we shall see. If no one complains, nothing will happen. Previously I had an Octavia 1.4 tsi and that was fine so why has this issue started with the introduction of the 1.5?

t-roc 1.5 and Octavia 1.5 manual drivers are also making same comments. Foolishly, I only test drove the dsg having had a 1.4 manual Octavia previously. Big mistake! I would not have ordered the manual had I known of this quirk, fault, problem whatever you want to call it. Can’t be anything huge so c’mon Skoda, sort it!!!! Make a great car even better.

Agree its a lovely car and I have no idea what the issue with the engine or the software is but it would be nice if it was a simple trip back to the dealer to solve it but im not holding my breath. It would be interesting to hear from those in the know exactly what the issue is, some say engine some say software. I did find it noticebly better when I put it in Eco mode which may suggest its a software thing, but I have no idea what the cause is

Agree its a lovely car and I have no idea what the issue with the engine or the software is but it would be nice if it was a simple trip back to the dealer to solve it but im not holding my breath. It would be interesting to hear from those in the know exactly what the issue is, some say engine some say software. I did find it noticebly better when I put it in Eco mode which may suggest its a software thing, but I have no idea what the cause is

A person at my dealership told me that Skoda were aware of an issue that he “couldn’t share with me.” Commercially sensitive I suspect. 

Mmmmm.....

My bet is software.

If they expect me to go away, they’re mistaken.

I shall continue being polite and firm but I will not accept being fobbed off. It may be just words but my dealer has said they will continue to liaise with Skoda technical. 

software should be an easy fix i'd have thought ??

Yeh if they find the offending bug and kill it!!

AVW must be full of boffins.

I’m due to return to dealer at 1000 miles so I’ll update then.

Software was very easy for the VW Group or Bosch to fix, hence billions in fines, a couple of engineers serving time and now VW have an engineer / software engineer shortage.

Off on Gardening leave, too worried to be in countries that are not in the EU as arrest warrants might be served.

Full of boffins no doubt but too worried to look at somebody else's work.....

Hear no evil, see no evil, say no evil, Vorsprung Durch Technik.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I have 1.5 Act Octavia. Purchased first car September 17, and rejected it 3-4 weeks later when the revs where sticking and Skoda were not able to resolve issue.  Second car arrived October, while the revs are not sticking as the first car, they do rev up as posted in this discussion and during the winter morning, kangaroos down the road badly when engine is cold.

I have 6000 miles on clock, so the car has not 'learnt' my driving style, as one member was advised ( . .  In my opinion a load of rubbish)

Logged with Skoda and they were going to get back to me when they have news. . . .  Nothing to date.

Have heard there is a software update through forum, not the dealer, but wanted to see how that worked for others first.

It will be going back in a few weeks, my hubby likes the oil to be changed annually, and the issue will be brought up again, and will ask for software update.  Shame the press have not got wind of this, i'm sure Skoda would be more proactive if they received negative publicity.

Lots of cars with the same issue, all appear to have 1.5 engine.

The more 1.5tsi  owners complain, the more likely Skoda are likely to actually do something..

driving style thing is rubbish!’

Mine is my fourth Skoda. Haven’t had to change my driving style for the previouscars. 

C’mon Skoda. Sort it please.

Watching with mild interest,

It's not a problem

It's a foible/idiosyncrasy due to new breed of engine it just doesn't drive like any older generation petrol of diesel.

Either a) use no throttle and just clutch and let the car drive itself or 

B)give it a good dollop of throttle and drive off.

IE dribble in traffic/parking style or normal style.

Agreed however that the anti stall feature is a pain in the hoop and masks/disguises the FOIBLE. it is a case of one needs to commit to one style or the other.

And yes I've also been driving since I was 10,have a licence with every box ticked,have driven professionaly,have an ADI and am a mechanic.

If you can't addapt you need either a DSG

Or just wait until you feel an electric milk float is viable for you.

HUGS

4 hours ago, 181ce said:

Watching with mild interest,

It's not a problem

It's a foible/idiosyncrasy due to new breed of engine it just doesn't drive like any older generation petrol of diesel.

Either a) use no throttle and just clutch and let the car drive itself or 

B)give it a good dollop of throttle and drive off.

IE dribble in traffic/parking style or normal style.

Agreed however that the anti stall feature is a pain in the hoop and masks/disguises the FOIBLE. it is a case of one needs to commit to one style or the other.

And yes I've also been driving since I was 10,have a licence with every box ticked,have driven professionaly,have an ADI and am a mechanic.

If you can't addapt you need either a DSG

Or just wait until you feel an electric milk float is viable for you.

HUGS

Totally agree with everything you said, just had to adapt my pull aways!:blink:

Whilst I have now started to give it  it loads of revs when moving off which DOES prevent the lurching, it shouldn’t happen if I don’t!!’

I too am a trained engineer and engineering development  is generally forward not backward. New things should be better than the thing they replace. 

The 1.5 is a development of the 1.4, an engine I had no problems with in a previous Octavia

so here I DO disagree with you. 

A “foible” of this  sort should not be difficult to eradicate for a company the size of AVW.

I would have had a DSG but my wife for some reason only known to her will not drive an auto so I bowed to her wishes (foolishly) but who would drive me home from the pub????

I draw the line well before the milk float though.

I wish I could be as relaxed as you clearly are about this “foible”

but sorry, I can’t. It needs sorting.

• Like 1