1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

So, did anybody succeed in updating the ECU? Did that update helped? A called my dealer today, after tthey said to me the update will happen this week, and today they said that sadly the update is not yet available. I call that lying. So I will try to return the car. No trust anymore in dealer, importer and Skoda

• Thanks 1

Well, yesterday (Wednesday 27th March), I received a call from Skoda UK to say that the fix was now available followed quickly by a call from my dealer confirming that the fix was available and to ask if I'd hang on to the courtesy Scout until they could fit my car into the workshop schedule; I said 'no problem'.

Today, some 24h later, I received a call from the dealer to say that the fix had now been 'withdrawn'.

Whilst I conveniently have the use of the Scout - which isn't a bad car, I have somewhat lost confidence in Skoda's ability to ever sort out the problem with the 1.5 engine. I am teetering on the brink of rejecting the car and starting afresh.

Edited by StEdmund
wrong date given

15 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

I am teetering on the brink of rejecting the car and starting afresh.

That's about where I am - I have been waiting for this fix and monitoring the passage of time towards my six-month ownership (which comes up in May). 

It it is so frustrating: the high-gear high-speed miles are fantastic, the manoeuvring around town at low revs utterly dispiriting.

2 minutes ago, driventodevon said:

That's about where I am - I have been waiting for this fix and monitoring the passage of time towards my six-month ownership (which comes up in May). 

It it is so frustrating: the high-gear high-speed miles are fantastic, the manoeuvring around town at low revs utterly dispiriting.

I was advised by my dealer earlier today that this fix, now withdrawn,  was applicable to MY2019 vehicles only. Mine is MY2018 so the wait goes on.

1 minute ago, AMC150 said:

I was advised by my dealer earlier today that this fix, now withdrawn,  was applicable to MY2019 vehicles only. Mine is MY2018 so the wait goes on.

They must have really sodded about with the software etc to get them through the latest emissions tests but seem to have shot themselves in the foot, I think anybody with problems should be looking at rejecting their cars and getting a refund and not buying anything from the VAG group. They (VAG) don’t seem to have a clue so I think it’s time to hit them where it hurts and walk away and if necessary get a class action claim started, I admire everyone’s patience but I think that enough is enough 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

I was advised by my dealer earlier today that this fix, now withdrawn,  was applicable to MY2019 vehicles only. 

Rumour is they forgot to check thoroughly again and apparently the fix disables the windscreen wipers. :bug::giggle:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, xman said:

Rumour is they forgot to check thoroughly again and apparently the fix disables the windscreen wipers. :bug::giggle:

The sad thing is that I can't even tell whether that's a joke (sad face smiley here) or true (sad face smiley here).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, driventodevon said:

The sad thing is that I can't even tell whether that's a joke (sad face smiley here) or true (sad face smiley here).

..... and the Germans laugh at us for cocking Brexit up.

3 hours ago, StEdmund said:

Well, yesterday (Wednesday 27th March), I received a call from Skoda UK to say that the fix was now available followed quickly by a call from my dealer confirming that the fix was available and to ask if I'd hang on to the courtesy Scout until they could fit my car into the workshop schedule; I said 'no problem'.

Today, some 24h later, I received a call from the dealer to say that the fix had now been 'withdrawn'.

Whilst I conveniently have the use of the Scout - which isn't a bad car, I have somewhat lost confidence in Skoda's ability to ever sort out the problem with the 1.5 engine. I am teetering on the brink of rejecting the car and starting afresh.

I would be willing to wait a bit more if they offer me....well, anything....but they refuse to even talk with me, but asking for patience! I would be happy if they took the car and give me something to drive while my car is being fixed. And they are not willing to do that, or anything else. Obviously I don't have any choice but to return the car. (keeping the car and waiting another eternity for me is not a choice, and shouldn't be considered as choice at all)

13 hours ago, xman said:

Apparently the software update being made available is now dependent on the Brexit withdrawal agreement being passed.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself......:blush

Johnboy999 will be along shortly to lock this thread if xman goes anywhere near 29/03/2019 again having complained somewhere else on here. You have been warned (trainee moderator).:bandit:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, xman said:

I heard the 'fix' puts the vehicle into the same state as Audi's ..... the indicators and speedo are disabled :blink:

10 hours ago, EssEmmTee said:

I heard the 'fix' puts the vehicle into the same state as Audi's ..... the indicators and speedo are disabled :blink:

Hmmm, I wonder if they copied it across from the BMW software engineers, although they have the automatic flashing lights when tailgating

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, don_kiddik said:

Hmmm, I wonder if they copied it across from the BMW software engineers, although they have the automatic flashing lights when tailgating

Saw a BMW driver being harrassed by a silver van driver on the commute home tonight and it was quite amusing seeing the bully being bullied.:giggle:

• Haha 1

A Friend had an efficient cure for tailgaters.

In his ancient Austin Healey Sprite fitted with carburettors:

When a tailgater was nearly on his bumper he switched off his engine waited a few seconds and then switched the ignition back on.

A sheet of flame then exited his exhaust pipe and engulfed the harassing car that disappeared rapidly backwards.

A pity you cannot do this with fuel injection.

• Like 2

Keep your 1.5TSI and after 'The Fix is done' it will be like some 1.4TSI that run rich when cold and you can leave the 30 mph limit and boot it and the soot screen will be emitted.

As it is now there is no need to spray your windscreen washers to have the tail gaiters Auto wipers work or to brake test them, as it is the cars 'characteristic' is enough to have them curse you.

I have A3 1.5 TFSI S-tronic, since 2017 October. From Turkey.

The car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear in a very bad way when transmission in D mode. It accelerates a little in 1st, then power goes away, and then pulls again into 2nd gear with a sensible movement. Sometimes I can feel a sharp clutch engagement when going to 2nd gear. When transmission in S mode, no problem at all, very smooth gear changes.

Not only the gear changes I must say, the vehicle is very responsive in low gears and low rpms. Instant reactions from the engine, when I released the accelerator pedal and that is very uncomfortable in traffic. First I thought it could be the accelerator pedal calibration, but now reading all the comments in VAG with 1.5 TFSI forums, it looks like the engine itself is the problem.

I got in touch with the dealer many times. We took a ride with the experts and so on, of course they are saying it is the characteristics of the vehicle. My clutch had changed at first, then the mechatronics, finally the transmission had changed. Problem is still there. Now I am trying to switch to another car.

Or should I wait for the software update, is a very hard question.

• Like 1

Welcome.

So your Dealership employees were just saying what others world wide were saying, so no surprises there.

VW Group were saying it as well.

But now they say something different and accept they have built and sold some lemons.

?

What kind of expert did they find, Deaf, Dumb & Blind or a flat earther?

Up to you what you do, but are you going to have anything to do with the barstewards at the dealership you used so far?

Hi all. Been following this thread since my new Karoq had issues. Left it at dealer on 16th Feb after having the described issues with it. Only 3 weeks old. Picked it up last Friday, software update installed!! However....... 1st gear kangarooing is still present. On the plus side it hasn't died in the middle of a junction again - yet! So I'm considering rejection as the update obviously hasn't worked fully! Apart from that it's a great car!

1 hour ago, Rich1point5SEL said:

Hi all. Been following this thread since my new Karoq had issues. Left it at dealer on 16th Feb after having the described issues with it. Only 3 weeks old. Picked it up last Friday, software update installed!! However....... 1st gear kangarooing is still present. On the plus side it hasn't died in the middle of a junction again - yet! So I'm considering rejection as the update obviously hasn't worked fully! Apart from that it's a great car!

Could that be the withdrawn update that you had applied?

• Confused 1