HDMI connections?

MickA

Had a problem with my TV this morning, the Virgin Media picture went blank. So the general answer to that for a remedy would be to restart the VM box, I did and it was still blank.

Anyways after a phone call to them it turns out one of my HDMI connections on the rear of the TV is faulty, I changed the output for the VM TV box to the other HDMI and it worked ok with that one.

Had to go out but on my return the said faulty HDMI connection is now working. I've checked for muck/dust in the connections, even changed the cables earlier, wasn't working but now it is.

Anyone else had problems with there connections, it's an LG TV? Could there be a connection fault behind that socket, can they be renewed, just the HDMI connection? It's definately not the cables. For now it's working but I fear it may stop again, why??

Could be loose or substandard wiring in the socket. Can be fixed, if you can pin down the exact defect and know what you're doing with a soldering iron.

I'd put to down to low build quality LG kit. Ours went recently and that was an LG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Could be loose or substandard wiring in the socket. Can be fixed, if you can pin down the exact defect and know what you're doing with a soldering iron.

I'd put to down to low build quality LG kit. Ours went recently and that was an LG.

You know, sods law it's ok now.

I changed the leads, no joy, cleaned the socket out but it was pretty clean anyway. So I just used the other HDMI port for my Virgin box to connect. Connected the Blu ray player up to the faulty connection that works but the colour has gone all faded but I could get a picture at least.

I just happened to check it again by plugging back in the Virgin box and bingo I'm all working again on that port...........for now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-Switch-Switcher-Connectors-support-Black/dp/B0020426AG

Cheaper than a new telly.

My LG only has 2x HDMI and tbh I could do with about 5. This works fine although occasionally get confused as to what device is coming through.

Just an update on this problem....

The problem returned after 10 days of being ok, I found it both strange and annoying but it's fixed again for now.

I did a search yesterday on the web to try and find if others have had a similar problem and I think I've found (I hope) the problem.

We had the upgraded V6 box from Virgin in January and all seemed ok until the said HDMI port started playing up, we thought. Well after reading others having a similar problem it seems it's got something to do with the handshake (a technical term they use) between the TV and Virgin box. Also I needed to check the VM box settings to make sure I had or the VM man had left it on the correct settings. Well we are ok with the box settings I checked so it's something to do with this technical handshake between the two.

Bearing in mind I'm not that savvy on these sort of things I'm going along with my initial findings. So it seems if I switch on my TV before I switch on my VM box it could not always  connect properly and I get a blank/black screen and it seems this will only happened when the TV has been switched off fully and the VM box has been switched off but not obviously fully at the wall socket. The blank screen thing never happens when I've left the TV on standby and then fire it up.

So if you've manage to get to read to the end of my ramblings anyone find my theory and findings plausible or can offer another reason, apart from saying the obvious and get Sky TV :D been there done that and ditched them many, many years ago :o

Edited by MickA