How can I replace/clean a blocked DPF for less than £2.5k please?

1 hour ago, skidpan said:

Problem there is diesels are only subject to a visible smoke test and do not have the probe inserted up the exhaust like petrols.

They've always used the probe up the exhaust (oo er missus) on mine, along with one down the dipstick to measure oil temp. Get a little readout as well which usually states particulates at 0.01ppm.

14 hours ago, Anddenton said:

Identifying a missing dpf on the mot should be simple, anything more than a 0ppm on the smoke test means it has been removed.

How wrong one can be...

As far as I remember, for me it has been like 0,01; 0,04; 0,20; 0,01 (existing DPF in all cases). Sure, it depends on the rpm at the testing moment. The highest value 0,20 was on high revs but now they have changed the testing method and it's tested at ~2500 rpm (that's in Latvia). But anyway - there always can be something  more than 0,00. That filter ain't 100% particle proof.

Sure, if it's 1,45 (with 1,50 as the max allowed value) then it looks suspicious but then there's a question - why then there is such a value (1,50)? And what should the inspector do? Crack the pipe and look inside to detect the existence of the DPF? And what there's one inside?

From the MOT special notice.

The amended limits to be applied from 20 May 2018 are:

1. First used before July 2008 None turbo 2.5m-1 or plate value if lower
  Turbo 3.0m-1 or plate value if lower
2. First used on or after 1 July 2008 All diesels 1.5m-1 or plate value if lower
3. First used on or after 1 January 2014 All diesels 0.7m-1 or plate value if lower

In addition if there is any visible smoke of any colour it is a fail.

The cheapest I can get a replacement genuine DPF for my Scout is over £1600 and an extra deposit of £400 if the old one isn’t accepted back.

Mark

Edited by mark999
Clarification