Look What They've Done to my Song?

TheOctaviator

I've just watched the Paloma Faith video on the Skoda UK site. I know Miss Faith has many admirers on this site, but why did she have to maul one of my favourite songs? I suspect this will divide opinion along generational lines - I'm not saying PF can't sing, just that some songs should be left alone. The cover version, to my ears, is a nasal, electro rendition. The original has a purity of voice and a real orchestra backing it. Reminds me of discussions about real v artificially-generated exhaust sounds!

Before any PF fans post, please listen (preferably several times) to CE's original, THEN shoot.

Theres already a thread (in car chat?) Regarding Ms Faith's recent undertaking with Skoda as a brand ambassador, her vocal ability etc...

And then, as per new tradition, a debate/argument about it..

Cass Elliot

Usually known as Mama Cass, late of the Mamas & Papas

Edited by BJM

Thank you, BJM (obviously not simply stupid). I CBA to respond to someone who CBA reading the original post with two tags, Paloma Faith - PF and Cass Elliot - CE. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not being ironic, I genuinely admire your patience in posting a reply.

Edited by TheOctaviator
Clarification

12 hours ago, TheOctaviator said:

Thank you, BJM (obviously not simply stupid). I CBA to respond to someone who CBA reading the original post with two tags, Paloma Faith - PF and Cass Elliot - CE. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not being ironic, I genuinely admire your patience in posting a reply.

Calm down, kid. Not everyone is a Pub Quiz music whizz.

I know (knew?) of Mama Cass and the group, had no idea she was "CE" and barely ever notice these teeny tiny magical tags tucked up against the advert banner, which supposedly explain everything... and seemingly I'm not the only complete retard  on the forum, although I suspect you'd ask the same of me if I was ranting about KH's or SG's latest chart topper...

If you had a point to make about the song, perhaps just link to it like most people would, to make sure we know exactly what you're talking about?

24 minutes ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Calm down, kid. Not everyone is a Pub Quiz music whizz.

I know (knew?) of Mama Cass and the group, had no idea she was "CE" and barely ever notice these teeny tiny magical tags tucked up against the advert banner, which supposedly explain everything... and seemingly I'm not the only complete retard  on the forum, although I suspect you'd ask the same of me if I was ranting about KH's or SG's latest chart topper...

If you had a point to make about the song, perhaps just link to it like most people would, to make sure we know exactly what you're talking about?

Before I was rudely dismissive of someone's post, I would have taken the trouble to find out what they were referring to (e.g. your use of CBA - I looked it up) and read it properly. I'm not a pub quiz music whizz. If you CBA to read something, it wouldn't make any difference how many links I had or hadn't attached, would it?

47 minutes ago, TheOctaviator said:

Before I was rudely dismissive of someone's post, I would have taken the trouble to find out what they were referring to (e.g. your use of CBA - I looked it up) and read it properly. I'm not a pub quiz music whizz. If you CBA to read something, it wouldn't make any difference how many links I had or hadn't attached, would it?

ISTR CBA is, IIRC, one of those common internet initialisms (akin to ASAP, DVD, ABS, UK, etc ) and is even used quite often on this very forum, TBH.

But recognising just the initialism of the real name of someone better known by their stage name anyway is a bit of a stretch, don'tcha think?

Furthermore, following the previous thread which I did read and was involved in, I was actually being quite dismissive of the marketing strategy involving PF and expressing no desire to give them the increased net-traffic they desire.

Were I being dismissive of your post, I'd not have bothered taking any interest in which song it originally was and enquiring further... or likely even engaging you about it. 

As it stands, if you want to make a point of any worth, the onus is on you to supply the context. If you want us to listen to a specific song, link it - That way we'll know exactly which one you're talking about.

9 hours ago, Ttaskmaster said:

ISTR CBA is, IIRC, one of those common internet initialisms (akin to ASAP, DVD, ABS, UK, etc ) and is even used quite often on this very forum, TBH.

But recognising just the initialism of the real name of someone better known by their stage name anyway is a bit of a stretch, don'tcha think?

Furthermore, following the previous thread which I did read and was involved in, I was actually being quite dismissive of the marketing strategy involving PF and expressing no desire to give them the increased net-traffic they desire.

Were I being dismissive of your post, I'd not have bothered taking any interest in which song it originally was and enquiring further... or likely even engaging you about it. 

As it stands, if you want to make a point of any worth, the onus is on you to supply the context. If you want us to listen to a specific song, link it - That way we'll know exactly which one you're talking about.

By your own admission, you hadn't bothered reading the post - the full names of the two artists are tagged and the context is in the very first sentence, so no, I don't think it is 'a bit of a stretch' and I still think you were rudely dismissive. When in a hole.......

38 minutes ago, TheOctaviator said:

By your own admission, you hadn't bothered reading the post - the full names of the two artists are tagged and the context is in the very first sentence, so no, I don't think it is 'a bit of a stretch' and I still think you were rudely dismissive. When in a hole.......

FFS, that had nothing to do with you or your post...!!

Incidentally, those tags just link to your OP and nothing else, so just as uninformative as the rest of it.

But whatever. I've stopped caring.

I hope she sings more of your songs!!

You've got to make your own kind of music, even if no-one else sings along. Fantastic to see singers and celebrities engaging with the Skoda brand and hopefully enticing more customers to discover which product suits their needs and or lifestyle. Go for it Paloma!

Cass Elliot, or should I say CE, wins it for me, but only by a short head and all three were on long odds......:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

This Skoda advert tune is now becoming a right (and left) ear worm for me. It's going around and around, I even woke up yesterday with it in my head. I've been watching a good deal of car stuff on the box, every break that advert.:D

• Like 1

On 25/03/2018 at 13:24, Rustynuts said:

And in the interests of fairness..

Cass Elliots version.

And in the interests of further fairness...

The Will-O-Bees original version...

I wonder how many Will-O-Bees fans are bitching about Mama Cass destroying their song? 

Does anyone else find it  ironic that the advert is about being the first/find your own path and yet the soundtrack accompanying the advert is a song that has been covered many times. 

Perhaps a more suitable track would have been, "Find Your Own Mixed Metaphor." 

6 hours ago, Fin69 said:

Does anyone else find it  ironic that the advert is about being the first/find your own path and yet the soundtrack accompanying the advert is a song that has been covered many times. 

Probably consciously chosen as tongue in cheek 

11 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Probably consciously chosen as tongue in cheek 

I hope you don't work in banking (at least not my bank) as you give people far more credit than they deserve. BD