Variable Timing Pulley

Welcome.

Sound about right you have been told that,  but who told you,

and why do you need it, what engine at what mileage and what has gone wrong?

But is this a 1.2 TSi which might have the timing chain issue that Skoda knew about and had upgraded parts for.

One which maybe has not had and update but could have had at Skoda's expense.

So what engine, gearbox, when built. has it supposedly skipped,

So not at a VW Group / Skoda dealership?

It would be very good if you said what engine, when built.

Then those with knowledge or experience of the timing chain tensioner or chain stretch or what ever could tell you about their expense, parts, labour etc.

If that is the issue, you just asked about the Pulley cost,  £72 i think for that.

As said already, you really do need to hand over some relevant facts about your car - and that does mean, date of manufacture or if you don't know that, the date of first registration, engine fuel and size, rated output power etc. If still inside warranty or not, if not is the service history okay?

Ok this what I know

Make: Skoda

Model: Roomster 

Yr of registered 2008

Engine c.f. 1600

Mileage 44000

Problem first started it kept missing & wouldn't start but did eventually but then became more & more difficult till eventually it died a death. It got taken to a local garage who has told me I need a Variable Timing Pulley the quote he gave for the is £590. 

Does this sound abt right is there anywhere I can source it cheaper as at the moment my current bill stands at around £1000.