Clutch mileage expectancy on 1.6 CR TDi

Hi I run a 2015 Octavia 1.6 CR TDI as a taxi. 

I was wondering if anyone has ran up big mileages yet and can advise of the life expectancy of the clutch. I’ve done 79k thus far and apart from the clutch release bearing occasionally grumbling it seems just the same as when I bought the car at 35k.

I’ve heard wildly differing experiences, one driver still had the original clutch at 140k, mechanics telling me 60k was the usual etc. Was just wondering about a rough mileage as I need to save the quoted £700 quid for one.

Also, I’m wondering when the timing belt should be changed, all cars I’ve had before were around the 100k mark.

Thanks.

Regarding the clutch, the wear is number of times it is used, not mileage, so a vehicle used in City with jams and traffic lights will use clutch lots more, a driver in rural area with good quiet roads might travel 10 times as far for same number of gear changes.

Probably 70-100k for City drivers, loads more for rural drivers.  If oil changes are stretched, will be less.   (Couple of extra oil changes are cheaper than halving clutch life)

Cambelts can fail under 100k, probably worth changing before 70k miles, as low as 40-50k has been suggested by some.

Edited by SurreyJohn

20 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Regarding the clutch, the wear is number of times it is used, not mileage, so a vehicle used in City with jams and traffic lights will use clutch lots more, a driver in rural area with good quiet roads might travel 10 times as far for same number of gear changes.

Probably 70-100k for City drivers, loads more for rural drivers.  If oil changes are stretched, will be less.   (Couple of extra oil changes are cheaper than halving clutch life)

Cambelts can fail under 100k, probably worth changing before 70k miles, as low as 40-50k has been suggested by some.

I'm lost. How do regularities of oil changes affect the life of a 'dry' clutch?

• Like 2

Just now, hatchy said:

I'm lost. How do regularities of oil changes affect the life of a 'dry' clutch?

Not the clutch per se, but if gearbox or engine don’t have good oil, increases the drag, then tends to make driver think gears are notchy, so likely to slightly change driving style, riding clutch slightly more to smooth the changes.  Most people probably don’t consiously notice their clutch style compensation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surely the biggest factor to affect clutch life is the driver.

Those who choose to charge off from a standing start, with lots of power input will shorten the life of the plates, as do those who park on a sloped drive/road frequently, or drag the clutch on slopes instead of declutching and selecting neutral.

if you are talking about the bearing, then that (as has been said) is down to the number of times the pedal is depressed

On 3/22/2018 at 04:26, SurreyJohn said:

Not the clutch per se, but if gearbox or engine don’t have good oil, increases the drag, then tends to make driver think gears are notchy, so likely to slightly change driving style, riding clutch slightly more to smooth the changes.  Most people probably don’t consiously notice their clutch style compensation.

I was with "hatchy" on that, but you do make a valid point

On 3/22/2018 at 08:00, vegit8 said:

Surely the biggest factor to affect clutch life is the driver.

Absolutely true. Slipping the clutch is the killer.

In all my years of driving I've only ever had one clutch changed. And that was because the pressure plate springs snapped. Mileage on various cars & vans has been 240k miles on a Citroen Berlingo (the one which needed a clutch), 170k miles on a Berlingo, 150k miles on a Peugeot Partner, 140k miles on a Seat Altea, 145k miles on a VW Jetta, currently on 137k miles on my Yeti. Clutches last very well when driven carefully.

• Like 1

Best keep off the clutch pedal then!

The only time a clutch needs to be slipped is pulling away from a standstill. All other times is just creating unnecessary wear.

On 22/03/2018 at 08:00, vegit8 said:

if you are talking about the bearing, then that (as has been said) is down to the number of times the pedal is depressed

I would say the number of times its pressed means very little. The wear on the thrust bearing will be proportional to the length of time that the clutch is pressed for.

So the people that wait at traffic lights in gear are the ones that are going to wear it out quicker. Where as the ones that press it more often to shift into neutral and then back into gear again but have it pressed for less time will get more life out of it.

Edited by SuperbTWM