SIDE AIRBAG IGNITER FAULT 01217

Hi everyone,

My Octavia 2 TDI (2005) has had the airbag light on for about a month. I think I've read most of what could be found on the subject, but still have some queries for those who have experienced and/or solved the problem before:

• Does the igniter issue (see the diagnostics output below) necessarily require the replacement of the side airbag? What would be the bottom line for parts, VAT included? 
  • Isn't there a more SERIOUS solution to the yellow connector problem - soldering means becoming unable to remove front seats forever. What I have in mind is two pairs of bipolar watertight connectors like those used on aftermarket HID looms or some sort of MIL-grade multipolar connector pair.
  • What are the odds that the alarm is the consequence of a REAL igniter problem, as opposed to those of the simple door jamb loom or yellow connector electrical discontinuity?
  • What does the Upper limit exceeded exactly mean?

Any comments / thoughts / hints on the above are welcome.

Here's the diagnostics output:

Address 15: Airbags       Labels: 1K0-909-605.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 909 605 K    HW: 1K0 909 605 K
  Component and/or Version: 02 AIRBAG VW8   024 0700
           Software Coding: 0012338
            Work Shop Code: WSC 73430 790 00000
                      VCID: 346318E32CFB
1 Fault Found:

01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199) 
        001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

TIA, regards.

• Like 1