Reversing sensors not working

Plymman

My car has been running great but all of a sudden the reversing sensors have stopped working. 

I now get a short beep and the car display show up, then a long beep and the display goes blank again. Any ideas please? 

Is it anything obvious like grime covering the sensors ?

First thing to do is clean the car where the sensors are.  If this does not fix it, might be a loose wire

Sensors in bumpers can be damaged if someone hits the bumper, but not always obvious at first sight as they can spring back into position.

Edited by SurreyJohn

• 2 weeks later...

My Roomster did this, and VCDS showed me that the sensor that had failed on the rear bumper. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 76: Park Assist        Labels: 5J0-919-283.lbl  
   Part No: 5J0 919 283
   Component: Einparkhilfe        V005
   Revision: 00012000    Serial number: 07101056461054
   Coding: 0001120
   Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00000
   VCID: 6FE668D07D2D914697-51201
1 Fault Found:
01546 - Sensor for Parking Aid; Rear Mid-Left (G204)
             011 - Open Circuit
End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 03:47)--------------------------

I got a 2nd hand sensor from eBay for about £5 and swapped it over. I had to use touch up paint on the sensor face to match the other colour coded sensors on the bumper. Cleared fault codes and all has been fine since.

While the bumper was off and I had access to all 4 sensors I took the opportunity to wrap self amalgamating tape round all 4 connectors just in case water ingress was a problem.  

bumper.jpg

sensor.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think this post jinked me. Just this week my Roomster did this again. Put the car into reverse and a long beep with no reversing sensors working.

So gave it another scan and this time:

Address 76: Park Assist        Labels: 5J0-919-283.lbl
        Component: Einparkhilfe        V005  
        Revision: 00012000    Serial number: 07101056461054
        VCID: 6FE668D07D2D913D5C-5120

1 Fault Found:
     01547 - Sensor for Parking Aid; Rear Mid-Right (G205) 
                 011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent

So one on the other side this time.  I've ordered 4 off eBay and I'm going to change all four. I can't be having one popping after the other, at 10 years old maybe that's their life.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 22:17, aubrey said:

I think this post jinked me. Just this week my Roomster did this again. Put the car into reverse and a long beep with no reversing sensors working.

So gave it another scan and this time:

Address 76: Park Assist        Labels: 5J0-919-283.lbl
        Component: Einparkhilfe        V005  
        Revision: 00012000    Serial number: 07101056461054
        VCID: 6FE668D07D2D913D5C-5120

1 Fault Found:
     01547 - Sensor for Parking Aid; Rear Mid-Right (G205) 
                 011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent

So one on the other side this time.  I've ordered 4 off eBay and I'm going to change all four. I can't be having one popping after the other, at 10 years old maybe that's their life.

I think this is what I need to do with my sensors, as all I am getting lately is a continuous screaming in reverse gear. 4 new sensors sounds like a good idea, however, I would not be able to take off the bumper to fix, so it would have to be a garage job.  I'm wondering whether the darned things can just be disabled permanently, and whether I should fit a reversing camera instead. Posted in the Mark 2 section about this, but I have a Mk3! 

6 minutes ago, Morgana said:

I would not be able to take off the bumper to fix, so it would have to be a garage job.

It is actually really easy to remove the rear bumper. 3 torx screws at the rear of each back wheel arch, the same screws that hold the rear mud flaps on if you have them.

1 pop off plastic rivet at the top in each rear wheel arch.

2 torx screws on top of the bumper, exposed when you open the rear hatchback.

2 pop off plastic rivets on the bottom of the bumper at the rear.

Once the above is all removed just gently pull the bumper side away from the car body. Pull from the rear SIDE of the car, not  the back. One person each side and lower to the ground. I put old newspapers or a tarp on the floor to place the bumper onto to avoid scratching it.

The parking sensors just click on and off from the rear of the bumper.

• Like 1

Thanks for that info, Aubrey. It looked a lot harder than that when the chap came to fit the tow bar!  I don't think I could attempt it myself though! 

I wonder if that's the reason the sensors only work when they feel like it actually. The chap cut a hole (as per fitters instructions using a pattern!) into the bumper and I can only imagine all the dust, dirt and water getting in there.  Actually my sensors work best when it's been raining! :)

I've got the factory fitted tow-bar on mine. The type that plugs on and off. In fact if you look at the 1st photo I posted on this thread (01 April) you will see the clip on rectangle on my rear bumper that is taken off to click on the tow-ball. I find my reversing sensors work fine with both the tow-ball on and off. Obviously not with my trailer attached to the tow-ball :)   but with just the tow ball alone attached to the car they still work fine.

In the past I did have trouble with mine going faulty when wet, so interesting that's the opposite to you, that is why I took the chance to wrap the connections in self amalgamating tape and also secure tight on with a couple of tie wraps.

Edited by aubrey
corrected
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'll sling my idea in the arena...... Same thing happened to me, also 2 of the sensors had been pushed inside the bumper. Removed the bumper quick enough and glued the loose ones back in (I pulled the other ones off too, in case they fell off later and reglued them) this seemed to work for a bit then the screeching began. I wiggled the gear stick in reverse (engine off) a few times and tried again. It worked fine...I suspect the switch inside the gear change. I'm changing the whole stick and cables anyway, the ball joint has worn, when it gets warm it becomes very hard to select gears. I keep a small paint brush and tub of silicone grease handy, when it happens I can pull into layby and grease the ball joint, works every time.  The wiggling of the stick seems to work too, I think it works the switch/sensor  and loosens it. Bare in mind it isn't used that often over the life of the car. My Roomster is from 2007 and still going strong except for minor bits, light bulbs etc.

• 1 month later...

They were the ones like Item number 202228796329. I brought them back in April as you can see in the post above, fitted all 4 and all worked fine. BUT one has just failed again, I started getting the constant bleep, no fault codes on VCDS but on checking the measuring blocks one of the inside sensors is reading a constant 40cm measurement with nothing behind. The other 3 are detecting correctly, but with one faulty I'm getting a constant tone in reverse.

So I have just brought 4 oem original 5J0 919 275 sensors and 4 x  5J0 919 131 sealing rings from skoda-parts.com. Not cheap all in at 289 EUR.    The constant bleep is driving me mad and I can't be changing these cheap eBay versions every few months.

So I'm fingers crossed that paying out the big money for original parts makes a difference.   I'll let you know in another year.

Edited by aubrey

So today I swapped the parking sensors and it all works again. Interesting those 4 sealing rings 5J0919131. They simply sit on top of the sensor before popping the sensor back into its click in position. I've had this car from new and those were never fitted. They are now and I'm wondering if that was a reason for my historical problems. Time will tell.

But if you ever check/swap your sensors make sure the rings are fitted.

The only thing I'm suspicious of now is the dealer fitted my towbar from new. I'm sure it was more dealer fitted than factory fitted. Did they lose them then ?

Edited by aubrey