Speedo error 3.5%

Totally normal. Manufacturers have set the speedo to show bigger figures for legal reasons. That nobody could sue them for speeding etc etc.

Edited by linni

25 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

I don't want to start a flame war here, but if that was on a public road then I think you really need to have a long hard look at yourself.

Why? It's only 121mph, perfectly normal and legal on many autobahns!

Edited by Arkaig

Just now, Arkaig said:

perfectly normal and legal on many autobahns

But not on A roads in Central Scotland... although N51.84 would suggest he's not in Central Scotland and may well be in Germany.

:blush

13 minutes ago, linni said:

See, he had stopped for 3.33 minutes. He did it then.

Could be he did it on an A road with 40mph average speed cameras, needing to stop for 3.33 mins to reduce his overall moving average speed between 2 sets of cameras!

Edited by Arkaig
  • Like 2

I know all about why speedos read high.

I’m not saying a GPS is 100% accurate either.

I guess we have to take speed guns/cameras at face value.

I’m happy enough to continue using my stick on GPS to help keep me closer to “true” speed rather than be like the ****wits who continue to drive well below the limit because “their speedo says so” and cause endless frustration behind.

Don’t get me started on those who “Won’t Pass - Can’t Pass”!

As for “then I think you really need to have a long hard look at yourself”. FRO

Just some light hearted fun - on my way to Tesco - on the A3.

ps - clever how it edits out naughty bits :-)

pps - it’s hours and minutes not minutes and seconds 

Edited by BoxerBoy

22 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

the ****wits who continue to drive well below the limit

The clue is in the name. It is a speed limit - not a mandatory speed you have to drive at.

• Like 1

I was informed that the tolerance is 5% for the manufacture of speedometers, and that is actually the allowance for going over the limit, so 30mph you are allowed +1.5 mph over 70 +3.5mph, anything else is at their discretion.

13 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

I know all about why speedos read high.

I’m not saying a GPS is 100% accurate either.

I guess we have to take speed guns/cameras at face value.

I don't know how true this is, whether it's an urban myth but, I was told by a boat captain whom was taking us sea fishing, not too long ago. The GPS satellites are far more accurate when the USA are conducting active military operations. It made sense to me but I have absolutely no idea if it's true or not.

Did he have a massive key in his hand when he said this? 

You know the kind of massive  key you use to wind people up?

The US are always conducting 'active' military operations. Some the public get to hear about. 

And some they don't. 

The same applies to the UK as well. 

Decade - two ago US only allowed accuracy of positioning up to 30 meters to civilians.

About decade ago they increased the accuracy to appr. 2 meters.

US miltary equipment can navigate at 1 cm accuracy.

So the speed figure at GPS device is pretty precise.

6 hours ago, Fin69 said:

Did he have a massive key in his hand when he said this? 

You know the kind of massive  key you use to wind people up?

Nope. He was too busy checking his super accurate GPS system and sonar fish finder thingy to ensure we caught something. Which we did, by the way. :)

12 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The tolerances vary, North Yorkshire Police publish theirs...

26994350_710058455866396_1285311841053915670_n.jpg.c91ee38b1249d67d0e13f6a1ca4f9104.jpg

Yes at the police and local authorities discretion that is why it varies but for the manufacture of the speedos they have to be within 5% of true reading

According to the Motor Vehicles (Approvals) Regulations 1996, the speedo may not under-read at all, but may overead (for a certain range of speeds) by no more than 10%+6.25 mph.  Wow.  So, it could be that someone pootling along at a true speed of just under 22 mph sees their speedo say 30.   

I don't think I've ever had a car reading that badly, but most of them have exaggerated (measured nowadays by gps, or previously by motorway distance posts) by a few percent.