My Yeti(s).............................

pinkpanther

1 hour ago, pinkpanther said:

I suspect the Yeti and Roomster (I've owned 2 of these as well) represent the last of the truly characterful Skoda's.

You are probably right. Might be worth waiting till late 2019 and see what the new Skoda Vision X looks like. If reports are right then it will be Yeti length and might be a contender. I changed to a new Yeti in 2017 so okay until 2022 - generally keep cars 5- 6 years which seems optimum with regard to maintenance, problems and depreciation.

I’m thinking more along the line of the Vitara diesel (or Boosterjet 1.4) which is a real torque converter driven 4WD of similar dimensions. 

4 hours ago, Ryeman said:

I’m thinking more along the line of the Vitara diesel (or Boosterjet 1.4) which is a real torque converter driven 4WD of similar dimensions. 

I did consider a 1.4 Booster-jet Vitara, but the interior is a bit low rent and the engine a little lacking in torque (only around 14 lb/ft more than my 1.0 3 pot SEAT).

10 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

I did consider a 1.4 Booster-jet Vitara, but the interior is a bit low rent and the engine a little lacking in torque (only around 14 lb/ft more than my 1.0 3 pot SEAT).

Yeah, for the luxury touches......but for long term private ownership, give me Japanese, unless you have extra ‘reddies’ IMO.

I was just about to praise the 57 plate Toyota Aygo we owned for 7 years then realised it's a Czech build.

I know our mileage was low, but in 7 years this only suffered a broken glove box clip and slight weep to water pump. Both fixed under warranty in 3rd year.

Reliable, cheap to run and insure and a decent drive. We would have had another if they had not blinged it.

Colin

13 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Yeah, for the luxury touches......but for long term private ownership, give me Japanese, unless you have extra ‘reddies’ IMO.

I recall a 24 month old (low mileage) Lexus GS300 I owned several years ago running up a £4k repair bill (ECU, x2 O2 sensors, rear calipers and axle assembly). This was (fortunately) covered under manufacturers warranty, but was a salutary lesson on the potential repair costs I may have faced, when the warranty expired. Renewing the manufacturers warranty was circa £750 / year, illustrating the likelihood of further costly repairs.

Japenese/ rated as highly reliable, but failed in a costly fashion  nonetheless.

Edited by pinkpanther

One thing I like about the Suzuki we get is the ‘lack’ of park assist.    I’m becoming more attracted to minimalism these days.......I don’t find owners manuals much of a read.

38 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

One thing I like about the Suzuki we get is the ‘lack’ of park assist.    I’m becoming more attracted to minimalism these days.......I don’t find owners manuals much of a read.

Agreed:thumbup:

My first Yeti came with park assist and I never found a need to use it, given the Yeti is a doddle to park.

24 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

Agreed:thumbup:

My first Yeti came with park assist and I never found a need to use it, given the Yeti is a doddle to park.

I’d like a survey of the % of owners who use p/a.

ever -

or more than once -

18 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Well reviewed car particularly the 1.4 Boosterjet S with Torque converter auto, good reliability record as well.  Interior is a bit low rent with hard plastics everywhere and, sadly, no heated seats available! Looks nice though and probably the best Yeti alternative. I tried them all before buying my last Yeti in 2017, but the Yeti was still the nicest.

1 minute ago, Expatman said:

Well reviewed car particularly the 1.4 Boosterjet S with Torque converter auto, good reliability record as well.  Interior is a bit low rent with hard plastics everywhere and, sadly, no heated seats available! Looks nice though and probably the best Yeti alternative. I tried them all before buying my last Yeti in 2017, but the Yeti was still the nicest.

Yeah, they aren’t the most fashionable tool out here but probably the best for affordable go anywhere choices.

The cheapness reminds me of the rugged Wrangler some what in terms of tough rather than plush.

If I hadn't bought a Yeti then today the Vitara 1.4 S Boosterjet auto would be my choice. All the nice toys, 4 wheel drive, leather and good auto box. Pity no heated seats and no soft plastics on dash but quality product otherwise.

Brother-in-law has just bought one and will be picking it up soon so I will be interested in checking it out.

As said reviews are pretty good and as it is replacing an elderly SEAT he shouldn't be disappointed with the hard plastics.

Good price and 0% swung it.

20 hours ago, Ryeman said:

I’d like a survey of the % of owners who use p/a.

ever -

or more than once -

Never, not even to just try it out. 

(But I do like the beeping front and rear parking sensors and the on-screen diagrammatic) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bexhillian said:

Never, not even to just try it out. 

(But I do like the beeping front and rear parking sensors and the on-screen diagrammatic) 

If anyone has an issue with there ability to park I can’t see them mastering the faffing about involved in this gimmick.

Had p/a on previous Yeti, good talking point but I guess I only used it half a dozen times in 6 years of ownership. Simpler to park it myself! On my latest Yeti I have the rear view camera and that is useful.

An excellent opening post, PP.

I'm in a similar train of thought. More than happy with the three Yetis I've had. I did look at a 150 4x4 Monte Carlo around 2016 to be TIBET IV but that was the only model not on 0% finance. October arrived, last quarter, hurrah - 150 4x4 MC Yeti on 0% but was promptly (ie at the same time) discontinued!

No doubt partly as a result of the diesel bad-press debacle, at 3 years, TIBET III's trade in value was slightly below what was left to pay so I bought it and I'm more than happy with that decision. This L&K has lots off options on it from Skoda and one from Shark.... TIBET I lost 29% after three years at trade in, TIBET II was traded for the FL/0% TIBET III and lost around 25% in 18 months - high initial depreciation and outgoing pre-FL etc.   

At the moment (after changing jobs) I now have a 70 mile daily commute replacing the 30 one and MPG has gone from 40 to 47. The extra miles make buying  something new not a sensible choice and I don't really need anything bigger - ie a Karoq.

Hopefully, by the end of the year I'll have a 10 mile daily commute so at the moment the thinking is to keep the Yeti for the trips out and buy a used Citigo (Monte Carlo...) for the commuting. 

Then, there's whatever the Vision X becomes. Pretty much identical size to the Yeti (slightly longer wheelbase, sharing the platform with the new Rapid) - the only downside would be a sloping rear window losing some of the usefulness of the Yeti (might stay cleaner though....) but that is likely to be my viable Yeti replacement.

Loving the Yeti and I'm sure I'll continue to do so for some years to come.   

Edited by aerofurb

5 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Have you monitered the rate of increase in the ash residue? 40% at 65k, and presumably it fails at 100% so at least 160k mile life expectancy?

I certainly have:thumbup:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/443518-vag-dpf-app/?do=findComment&comment=4995856

48 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

Vision x = Arona ?

Not according to press reports. Using a longer version of chassis to increase internal space. Only time will tell but as it's 2 years away I don't think it will be an Arona clone.

20 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Have you monitered the rate of increase in the ash residue? 40% at 65k, and presumably it fails at 100% so at least 160k mile life expectancy?

PM'd

Apologies, I missed the bit out in my previous post that Skoda intend to use a lengthened version of the MQB A0 platform for both the 'production Vision X' and the new Rapid. The Arona and T-Roc use the standard length MQB A0 platform.

Info on the new rapid here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/rapid/100638/new-2019-skoda-rapid-to-become-czech-brands-vw-golf

Comparison figures gleaned from various sources:

Length

Width

Width

Height

Wheelbase

(with mirrors)

Yeti

Vision X

Arona

T-Roc

Karoq

Ateca

n/k

Tiguan

It might need a bit of a Google translate but there's a bit more on the Vision X here:

https://www.autorevue.cz/nejkratsi-testovani-v-dejinach-autorevue-ridili-jsme-skodu-vision-x

Okay, so the interior is flight of fancy stuff but the outside is no doubt going to be pretty close (hopefully!).

Edited by aerofurb
  • Thanks 1