Paddle wheel retrofit to L&K

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

Mine were delivered last week; just need the car now.....

Black alloy with machined edging. I’ve offered them up to my current wheel and they suit the wheel/interior colours quite well IMO 

49A9680A-DB08-4C89-B4B4-6E3E7A4E3C75.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

Nice work @Brimma

So no coding whatsoever required?  The replacement just worked 'out of the box'? 

Thanks

Yes, straight swap and everything works

It's different apparently if you buy a vRS paddle wheel as the buttons are different, hence why I stuck with the round Superb wheel, I also didn't want to lower the tone of the L&K :)

Edited by Brimma
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, D402 said:

Making sure @thebigred has seen this!

I spoke to SUK AGAIN yesterday who AGAIN confirmed their "parts" department have stated this is not possible :D

Anyway, they're currently looking for an exchange, being careful that they don't exchange it for another one with missing paddles (there are a few going round it seems) 

IIRC I did find somewhere that had the flat bottomed wheels with the Superb button arrangement, it does look easy enough but I'm concerned about warranty etc

1 hour ago, The Skud said:

This looks like the same button arrangement as the standard one fitted to the superb.

But the buttons will not work in the Superb, the buttons are very easily swapped over though (I have a vRS / Sportline wheel in my L&K) personally I prefer the perforated leather used on the FBSW:

IMG_1335

Then with the vRS badge removed (far better IMO):

IMG_2608

IMG_2609

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Skud said:

............also found this

http://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/flat-bottom-steering-wheels-11/

Wonder if the heated steering wheel would need some additional wiring loom and coding?....anyone?

Yes it needs coding (have tried the coding on mine and the coding... or at least some of it worked without any DTC’s)

According to some sites the heated wheel needs a different airbag?? 

Not sure where the extra wiring (for heating elements) goes to as the photos do not show that much detail, but I can only assume it goes to the airbag, hence why the heated wheels use a different airbag? 

Yes, the vRS badge is an aluminium piece that is stuck onto the plastic insert with double sided tape, just peel the aluminium off and wrap the plastic with a bit of 3M vinyl.

I think it is quite subtle 

• 1 month later...

I recently got a 2017 L&K 220 from Skoda stock but without paddle shifters.  Living out in the country with lots of windy roads, the DSG either selects too high a gear or, if in Sport mode, is too revy. Based on your posts, I bought a used steering wheel with shifters and did a straight swap, with no coding necessary.  The German dealer accepted a bid at 140 Euro + postage and I fitted it tonight.  The condition is as new.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XOrig.+Lederlenkrad+MFL+Schaltwippen+Skoda+Superb+DSG+Lenkrad+Leder+3V0419091S.TRS0&_nkw=Orig.+Lederlenkrad+MFL+Schaltwippen+Skoda+Superb+DSG+Lenkrad+Leder+3V0419091S&_sacat=0

i've never fitted any upgrade easier in my motoring life.

Together with the Motorsport 034 dogbone bush and Racechip XLR pedal box, it's like having my previous vRS back.  Just now I had a big grin on my face on the backroads!!:biggrin:

Edited by Rizmod
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 21:06, Rizmod said:

I recently got a 2017 L&K 220 from Skoda stock but without paddle shifters.  Living out in the country with lots of windy roads, the DSG either selects too high a gear or, if in Sport mode, is too revy. Based on your posts, I bought a used steering wheel with shifters and did a straight swap, with no coding necessary.  The German dealer accepted a bid at 140 Euro + postage and I fitted it tonight.  The condition is as new.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XOrig.+Lederlenkrad+MFL+Schaltwippen+Skoda+Superb+DSG+Lenkrad+Leder+3V0419091S.TRS0&_nkw=Orig.+Lederlenkrad+MFL+Schaltwippen+Skoda+Superb+DSG+Lenkrad+Leder+3V0419091S&_sacat=0

i've never fitted any upgrade easier in my motoring life.

Together with the Motorsport 034 dogbone bush and Racechip XLR pedal box, it's like having my previous vRS back.  Just now I had a big grin on my face on the backroads!!:biggrin:

Hi. Was your original wheel heated and is the replacement? I'm getting a new L&K in the next couple of weeks but as it was already built I couldn't spec the paddle wheel.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Thanks for the quick reply. According to the Skoda brochure the L&K has a heated steering wheel so might have to find a heated wheel with paddles if the airbag is different?

On 27/03/2018 at 04:37, Brimma said:

I've had my L&K for over a year now, and love it to bits, but I've always been a bit disappointed that it didn't have paddles on the steering wheel for the DSG, so after a hunt on eBay I sourced one from a 1000km Superb in Germany, and got it delivered for 159 Eu

I didn't want a vRS flat-bottom, so it is literally a paddle version of my own wheel

Yesterday I finally got around to having a go at fitting it myself, after the usual contact with my dealer said it couldn't be done

I did it by the book, using a scredriver at the back of the wheel to release the airbag, then disconnecting the battery and waiting about 20 minutes before removing it, then a M12 spline bit on the nut to remove the wheel itself

Lining the wheel up was pretty straightforward, as there are marks on the wheel and the spindle to assist

Then plug the airbag back in, reconnect the battery, and the job's done, no coding required

If I can do it, anyone can :)

Excellent. 

I’m seriously tempted, although I’ve only got my car until December. I suppose I could always sell the wheel again, or keep it for my next car, if it doesn’t have paddles. 

Where did you get the instructions for the airbag removal?