Cupra 280 vs Octavia 245

3 hours ago, EddGee said:

The Cupra was an immensely capable car and the performance was brilliant. It would literally do anything I asked of it. I just couldn’t come to love it. :sadsmile:

One major thing that did let it down was the build quality and cheap grade plastics which I found disappointing on their supposedly ‘flagship’ model.

Going back to an Octavia was how I always remembered them. Very well screwed together

I tested a new Cupra 300 last week and just can’t get past the interior quality, performance aside which was great. I’m currently in a 15 vRS so not exactly Bentley build quality, but even 3 years old feels better built. Very disappointed as I was hoping the cupra could solve my inability to get my hands on a 245. Over here the ST with a few essential options runs to nearly €50K that’s Golf R money, which feels much much better built, never mind the Octavia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTodorov said:

As you said, if it's not a track car, 245 is more sensible and still fast.

However on a traffic lights drags you might be disappointed :(

However it's a pros&cons for both. Good choice you've made..

Cheers, I definitely think so. 

These days I’ll let even the tiniest engined city runners race away. :biggrin:

I just like having some power on tap usually for safe and progressive country lane overtakes. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bailer said:

I tested a new Cupra 300 last week and just can’t get past the interior quality, performance aside which was great. I’m currently in a 15 vRS so not exactly Bentley build quality, but even 3 years old feels better built. Very disappointed as I was hoping the cupra could solve my inability to get my hands on a 245. Over here the ST with a few essential options runs to nearly €50K that’s Golf R money, which feels much much better built, never mind the Octavia.

Jeez, the 300 is supposed to have up’d the antics in build and interior quality as well.  :blink:

My old 280 would have been worse than that. 

22 minutes ago, willttqs said:

I might look at golf r estate Tuesday see if there is enough room in the back for two car seats

You’re bound to like the Golf.

The interior and build quality is far superior than any Cupra.

However the Golfs come at a far higher premium than the Cupra. 

There are some cracking second hand 300ST’s out there. They lose money for fun which makes them a brilliant second hand buy. 

The Golfs residuals are very high so it depends what you want and how much you want to spend. 

You could have a 18-24 month old Golf R estate or an almost new 300ST estate for the same money. 

56 minutes ago, EddGee said:

Jeez, the 300 is supposed to have up’d the antics in build and interior quality as well.  :blink:

My old 280 would have been worse than that. 

The seats were comfortable but had this cheap carbon fiber style trim stitched on, they were the standard seats, then the plastic just looked and felt like the 13 year old basic golf we have as a banger. The infotainment at 8” was ok but not a patch on the Columbus that we get here in the vRS. The drive was fantastic, buckets of power, grip everywhere, but when you spend the vast majority of your time at normal speeds and in traffic the interior to me becomes important, just feel if I bought it I’d end up resenting it

I’d have the R estate in the morning if I could get one here in Ireland, as with a lot on here the Octavia would suit 4wd and 300 warranty obeying horses

Test drove a Cupra 280 'sub 8' and although they're a stunning looking car from the outside they're absolutely awful inside, the Octavia is much nicer. The Cupra was 18 months old and the interior was rattling already.

I ended buying a Golf in the end.

To be honest ‘perception of quality’ is very subjective.

Agree that the Golf R is very solid, but isn’t the 8” Nav unit in the current R and Cupra identical? And when comparing equivalent spec models (R Estate vs Cupra ST) £7-8k price difference for them new after discounts - whilst my heart said R, my head made me choose the Cupra in the end.  Whilst I appreciate that in the short term depreciation will be a killer, I will most likely keep the car for 4-5 years, so not overly worried. And by the way the Octy VRS isn’t exactly bullet-proof on residuals for the Mk3!

However, my thoughts as an owner of an FR Leon and VRS Octy (soon to be replaced with a Cupra ST 300):

Agree that the matt black plastic in the Leon, is a bit dull and low-rent, especially the cubby in front of the gear lever / transmission tunnel - but it doesn’t scratch anything like the faux carbon gloss trim in the VRS, which I’m constantly removing to polish out the scratches.

When I first bought the Leon the rattles were bad for a new car, but with a roll of fabric and foam tape applied liberally around the bottom of the A-pillars and behind the door cards the car is now greatly improved. Although the Octy didn’t suffer with rattles from new, at 4.5 years old they are starting to appear around the B-pillar and front seatbelt mounts/height adjuster.

The biggest plus for the Leon over the Octy is the quality of the seat material - Leon has done 84k miles (14k more than  the Octy) but the seats look and feel brand new. The Octy has signs of wear on the seat bolsters (creases and colour loss) and the fabric has bobbled.

Feel free to agree/disagree, after all, this is why this forum is great - these are purely my observations.

Cupra is smaller space inside & smaller boot than Octavia which is biggest in this VAG class. Golf estate is 4inches shorter than Octavia...& 2inches you lose in the wheelbase..& that's rear leg room. Shorter wheelbase of Golf helps cornering...

Cupra Seat cars depreciate soo fast its not true....& the plastics/trim are no where need the spec etc of the Golf.

Of course the Golf R is AWD, so total road killer, I was going to buy one when first came to UK, but they only make DSG & no manuals....mate now has one..... picked up dealer test car I recon as 1yr old & 4000miles...for £24K...mind you bright red...

I agree with @Black_Sheep - I have no idea what you guys are going on about.

The quality on this Cupra is same or superior to the Octavia - the materials are the same.

Is it the difference between plastics being covered in fake carbon or glossy black the gets you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fabdavrav said:

Cupra is smaller space inside & smaller boot than Octavia which is biggest in this VAG class. Golf estate is 4inches shorter than Octavia...& 2inches you lose in the wheelbase..& that's rear leg room. Shorter wheelbase of Golf helps cornering...

Cupra Seat cars depreciate soo fast its not true....& the plastics/trim are no where need the spec etc of the Golf.

Of course the Golf R is AWD, so total road killer, I was going to buy one when first came to UK, but they only make DSG & no manuals....mate now has one..... picked up dealer test car I recon as 1yr old & 4000miles...for £24K...mind you bright red...

You can buy a manual Golf R.....?    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

You can buy a manual Golf R.....?    

Hatch yes..... estate no....

..all down to marketing....like the top end Audis "S" or "RS" in avant form...try finding a manual....

BTW, also all that are praising the Golf, well...

...the Cupra is way better equipped.

Besides all the "toys" that are series, the Cupra also has series DCC, which is an expensive optional extra on the Golf R - I did consider the Golf R, but when comparing what you would get for the same price, the Cupra was a better deal.

20 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

I agree with @Black_Sheep - I have no idea what you guys are going on about.

The quality on this Cupra is same or superior to the Octavia - the materials are the same.

Is it the difference between plastics being covered in fake carbon or glossy black the gets you?

I’m not ‘going on’.

I'm speaking from personal experience.

I don’t know what planet you’re on but you’re talking ***** 

Just my opinion of course.  

Edited by john999boy
Profanity removed.

17 hours ago, EddGee said:

I’m not ‘going on’.

I'm speaking from personal experience.

I don’t know what planet you’re on but you’re talking *****. 

Just my opinion of course.  

That's a bit harsh... I have owned both an Octavia VRS and a Cupra 300, so I am also fundamenting my opinion.

Would you like to say something constructive as opposed to just insults?

...this forum is becoming a great place, it seems...

The interior plastics, buttons, etc are the exact same materials on the Octavia VRS and on the Cupra.

Maybe you have some badge snobism - but starting off with insults, you kinda set off the tone and level of dialogue that can be had with you :)

Edited by john999boy
Quote updated.

11 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

That's a bit harsh... I have owned both an Octavia VRS and a Cupra 300, so I am also fundamenting my opinion.

Would you like to say something constructive as opposed to just insults?

...this forum is becoming a great place, it seems...

The interior plastics, buttons, etc are the exact same materials on the Octavia VRS and on the Cupra.

Maybe you have some badge snobism - but starting off with insults, you kinda set off the tone and level of dialogue that can be had with you :)

Ive read numerous posts of yours and find that your tone is quite abrupt and provocative. 

If you have such strong opinions then maybe keep stuff to yourself or write more conservatively. 

In the grand scheme of things I consider my reply proportionate to your post. 

I do agree with you that this forum is attracting knobs. Been here since 2009 and it’s certainly reached a peak. 

There is a nice ignore button for that - but again, i would appreciate if you backed up with facts.

I never insulted anyone - neither do, and I guess reading this exchange, people can make up their mind about whose posts are provocative :)

Maybe you annoyed cause I don't come down to your level of speech?