ACC & Brake Lights.

westie38

This might be a daft question, but I presume the brake lights activate when the car is braked automatically when the Active Cruise Control is in use, either under medium or heavy braking? ACC is another piece of techno wizardry that's great in theory, but when, for instance you are in lane two on a motorway, overtaking a vehicle or line of vehicles in lane one, and one pulls out in front of you because ACC is leaving a safe gap ahead (even on the shortest distance setting), and it's not safe for you to go in to lane three, your car brakes accordingly.

Great system if every vehicle had it, and it was always on by default, no one would be colliding with anyone else, but that's some way off yet. Obviously the system can be overridden by accelerating more and changing to lane three, but it somehow doesn't seem as safe as being in total control yourself.  

Just wondering, before I get rammed up the derrière..?

1 hour ago, MarcusKaroq said:

Doesn’t it just ease off the gas instead of braking? 

Not in every instance. I found that out last week, travelling up the A1. It will brake if the system thinks it's necessary, as in the above scenario. Under normal situations, if you catch up with someone in the same lane it will show a message 'vehicle detected' well in advance. If you still shorten the distance between you and the vehicle in front, it does as it should, and ease off gradually, as can be seen (if not felt) by the digital speedo.

Normal cc would let you career into a brick wall if you didn't override it.

Is this the automatic braking system activating and not acc, that others have mentioned on various vag forums, where it thinks there is another car directly in front and not just in another lane and does a emergency brake, topic on page 2

11 minutes ago, Karman said:

Is this the automatic braking system activating and not acc, that others have mentioned on various vag forums, where it thinks there is another car directly in front and not just in another lane and does a emergency brake, topic on page 2

Possibly, but I haven't had any warning buzzer/ping at any time. I've been in a few situations with tight left & right bends with cars coming in the opposite direction, and half expected the brakes to come on or at least have the warning as in those examples, but nothing happened at all.

That depends on the road conditions and traffic flow speed. I've found that if I've got the ACC set to either the middle distance or maximum distance setting the system just leaves too much space, and then you're forever getting cars coming out of lane one into lane two. Maybe it's just a learning curve one has to get used to. Like I said earlier, if all vehicles had ACC fitted and up & running by default everyone would be safe. As it is, I think it's better to be in control yourself in case of numpty's pulling out in front of you at the last second. The same goes for BLIS, you should be well aware of the situation around you without pulling out in front of someone else without being warned by a flashing light and audible warning in your own car. But that's down to the general p poor standard of driving nowadays.

A few things I have noticed and have happened to me 

when I was getting to now the system I was coming up behind a truck in lane one so I looked and a vehicle was coming up lane two so I let it go past but I pulled out to soon and the system sensed I was to close so the car slammed on the brakes to slow me down , lesson learnt but when the car in front had moved on we went to hard exceleration to catch up a bit of a roller coaster 

all so I followed a car of the m/way and as mine is a dsg it came to an all most stop but the car in front moved of and we followed luckily I realised there was a car coming around the round about so I stopped lesson learned 

and I’ve noticed that if your cruising at say 70 mph and you indicate to move out it drops a gear anticipating the need to ecelerate 

but I am getting used to it now and think it’s well worth having 

So to all,  what distance settings for the systems do have, i.e for the ACC and Automatic Braking, just so when I finally get my car I can use your experience and set mine appropriately.

3 minutes ago, Karman said:

So to all,  what distance settings for the systems do have, i.e for the ACC and Automatic Braking, just so when I finally get my car I can use your experience and set mine appropriately.

Two bars in the display 

• 1 year later...

I'd like that there should be some sort of option to control how rigorous the over speed control parameters are.....that is I'm more than happy for my speed to pick up a few mph on the downhill sections of 'A' roads, just as a regular old fashioned cruise control would do.

There's an option to control how aggressive the pick-up is regulated so I can't imagine it would be too complicated to have a bit of excess speed on the over-run allowed for in the software?

I don't like the automatic application of the brakes, it makes for a disturbed ride and gives the impression to anyone behind that there's some sort of brake happy idiot in front and further more, it can't do the mpg any good either.

5 hours ago, Berisford said:

I'd like that there should be some sort of option to control how rigorous the over speed control parameters are.....that is I'm more than happy for my speed to pick up a few mph on the downhill sections of 'A' roads, just as a regular old fashioned cruise control would do.

There's an option to control how aggressive the pick-up is regulated so I can't imagine it would be too complicated to have a bit of excess speed on the over-run allowed for in the software?

I don't like the automatic application of the brakes, it makes for a disturbed ride and gives the impression to anyone behind that there's some sort of brake happy idiot in front and further more, it can't do the mpg any good either.

Given legislation and the conscious efforts to control car speeds I think it’s very unlikely that you’ll ever see a factory software implementation that allows / ignores over speed in a situation where the speed is set. Not because it would be difficult to implement but because the car manufacturers would have to do more to distance themselves from any responsibility in the event of an accident.

Consider that already the speedometers in cars are generous and usually inflate the actual speed by 1 or 2 mph as well, it doesn’t seem in line with their general strategies.

• 1 month later...

Looking through some VCDS data on the ACC module there's a 'sail' setting.....can't find anything about it in English but I'm wondering if this could be the 'translation' for maybe allowing a bit of overspeed in the downhill sections rather than automatically applying the brakes everytime we start to pick up slightly?

To answer the original OP, yes, ACC will brake for you, if braking is required to maintain the set distance.

And yes, when it applies the brakes for you, the brake lights illuminate.

The potential issue here is the well known knock-on effect of cars in front braking. If traffic is heavy and ACC is regularly on and off the brakes it is likely those behind will also tap their brakes when they see your brake lights, and before you know it, everyone's at a standstill.

Not so bad if all cars are using ACC, but as long as there's a mix of ACC and humans, there'll always be a conflict.

Thanks silver, thought as much. Blimey, didn’t realise this thread was from fourteen months ago - time flies when you’re having Skoda fun!

• Haha 1