keeping it looking good now spring is here

BriskodaJeff

20 hours ago, Malki said:

Going back to BriskodaJeff's original thread, as I'm aging and not as fit as I was, I managed this coat of polish myself. But my local car wash / detailer does two coats of polish and a mini valet for  £30 and is happy to use any products I supply, so twice a year seems good value. I use him every second day at a fiver a time for a wash, maybe why.

Sounds like a decent compromise Malki, with one caveat / bit of advice. Get them to use your mf cloths and applicators, as local carwash outfits tend to use old, gritty cloths that can introduce scratches and swirls into the paint. The AG leather kit comes with specific applicators for example - you wouldn't want them to be rubbing it onto your seats with an oily rag! And supervise if you can to make sure they are really using the product you give them. Alternatively a local detailer is likely to achieve a much better result, but will probably cost a lot more. Or do it like I did - in stages. My legs are still sore now from doing the wheels last Sunday...:biggrin:

11 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Sounds like a decent compromise Malki, with one caveat / bit of advice. Get them to use your mf cloths and applicators, as local carwash outfits tend to use old, gritty cloths that can introduce scratches and swirls into the paint. The AG leather kit comes with specific applicators for example - you wouldn't want them to be rubbing it onto your seats with an oily rag! And supervise if you can to make sure they are really using the product you give them. Alternatively a local detailer is likely to achieve a much better result, but will probably cost a lot more. Or do it like I did - in stages. My legs are still sore now from doing the wheels last Sunday...:biggrin:

I trust this valeter/detailer as I watch him jet wash his sheepskin mits after each wash on a pole specifically fitted into the ground for that purpose, and he uses the two bucket method for added protection. He also spends more on microfibre cloths and towels than I do on food! He is also trying new products daily, and keeps a black Range Rover bonnet in his workshop to practice on, which instils confidence.

He is well known as the best locally and is usually queued out. If for any reason he is closed I'd never dream of going elsewhere, it can wait until next day.

I'm not sure I  got applicators with my AG leather kit, I must have bought the bottles individually. I just watched the official AG videos on YT, looks quite straightforward. I do quite like the Kent range of applicators with the small Velcro handle, efficient and cost effective and easily renewed.

I hear you on the aches and pains Jeff, I'm still suffering from last Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to help encourage anyone worried about the amount of time it takes to keep them clean (as I was). Since the spring clean the car has stayed significantly cleaner than it did previously through the week / fortnight between washes. I suspect the lack of rain helped that, but the smoothness of the paint since the spring clean will certainly have helped. This weekend I did nothing more than a quick maintenance wash followed by a top-up of the Megs Quik Wax. Glass got Megs Perfect Clarity. Wheels got a sacrificial layer of cheapo wax and tyres were dressed with AG tyre gel. When I got back SWMBO said "that was quick"! So I'm really happy to report that the hard work of the spring clean is definitely paying off in terms of reduced cleaning time and results that I am more than happy with.

image.png.d41739fbc257f65ae70553d0a0413aac.png

image.png.a09d496ed3d46cbcde2043f9e734cd59.png

And a side thought. I reckon I've spent about £200 on cleaning products. In the bad old days I would spend £10 a week / fortnight on a drive-through auto-wash. So on that basis I'll be in profit by the end of Summer!:biggrin: