Update after 3years

Just a quick update. After 3 years and 35k miles my 2015 Scout 184 DSG has just gone back to the lease company. 

Rather boringly I have nothing to report beyond the car never missing a beat for the duration. Average consumption was around 46mpg, the tyres were still fine and everything still worked. No squeaks or rattles presented themselves inside or out and the whole experience just confirmed that Skoda would appear to be the bargain of the VW/Audi group.

I was so impressed that the replacement is another Skoda, this time a Kodiaq Edition 4x4 DSG 150 diesel in velvet red with beige leather and few toys :)

IMG_0031med.jpg

• Like 4

For the last year or so, I have always wondered what will happen to VW cars.  The Skoda has become the same as VW car but at a cheaper price.  So the choice really is an Audi or a Skoda, what is the point of a VW ?

Edited by AtomCom

2 hours ago, AtomCom said:

For the last year or so, I have always wondered what will happen to VW cars.  The Skoda has become the same as VW car but at a cheaper price.  So the choice really is an Audi or a Skoda, what is the point of a VW ?

Was reading at AutoExpress this morning here >> http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/103199/vw-group-boss-steps-down-herbert-diess-steps-up-as-new-chairman

The move to replace Muller is also part of wider business restructure that will see the company and its brands – VW, SEAT, Skoda, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Audi, Bentley and Porsche – split into three pillars: Volume, Premium and Super Premium.

SEAT, Skoda and light commercial vehicles (LCVs) will sit in the Volume segment, while VW and Audi become the Premium brands. Porsche will lead the Super Premium category, which also includes Lamborghini, Bugatti and Bentley.

So it looks like they want to "upgrade" VW actual to a "Premium" brand (same quality, higher prices?) and use Skoda as their normal volume selling brand with Seat there too.

Edited by hwr1983

1 hour ago, hwr1983 said:

Was reading at AutoExpress this morning here >> http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/103199/vw-group-boss-steps-down-herbert-diess-steps-up-as-new-chairman

So it looks like they want to "upgrade" VW actual to a "Premium" brand (same quality, higher prices?) and use Skoda as their normal volume selling brand with Seat there too.

I wouldn't have thought there is much scope to add much more cost to a Golf or Polo to Premiumise it! £40k for a GTi with not too many frills is ridiculous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AtomCom said:

I'd have to disagree with that comment. VW is a better 'finished' product than Skoda, of that there is no doubt. What I'd question is whether it's any better built and if the differences are worth the extra cost. In the past I thought it's been worth it but wasn't prepared to pay the premium this time around.

You just need to look at this forum to see the number of complaints about lack of soundproofing and basic rear suspension to see the differences. I'd add a few examples of my own:

When I close the door on a Golf / Passat / Tiguan, it closes with a thud. My Octavia goes 'ping' (although not as bad as many other cars). Same when I open it. From the inside, the door handles on the VW feel as if they're made from metal - you're left in no doubt it's plastic on the Octavia. (Incidentally, those on our SEAT feel more robust). The slightest of frosts that make the door hard to open from the outside highlights another big difference - the exterior handles. Pull the VW handle and it feels like it's carved from granite. Pull the Skoda and... well to be quite frank it feels as if the handle is about to detach itself from the door - it feels cheap. Same can be said of the glovebox - VW mechanism feels like you could open and shut it all day without an issue - the Skoda is very cheap and flimsy feeling. I'll say the same for the speakers...  essentially it's the same headunit so any differences in sound come from the speakers. Std speakers in a VW are superior. The Dynaudio setup is lightyears ahead of the Canton. (with a price to match)

As I say there are lots off little details which make the VW feel a more premium product but whether that's worth an extra few thousand quid...  it's the buyers decision.

Edited by Guest

On 13/04/2018 at 15:22, Scot5 said:

You just need to look at this forum to see the number of complaints about lack of soundproofing and basic rear suspension to see the differences.

Most Golfs have the same basic rear suspension.

On 13/04/2018 at 15:22, Scot5 said:

I'd have to disagree with that comment. VW is a better 'finished' product than Skoda, of that there is no doubt. What I'd question is whether it's any better built and if the differences are worth the extra cost. In the past I thought it's been worth it but wasn't prepared to pay the premium this time around.

You just need to look at this forum to see the number of complaints about lack of soundproofing and basic rear suspension to see the differences. I'd add a few examples of my own:

When I close the door on a Golf / Passat / Tiguan, it closes with a thud. My Octavia goes 'ping' (although not as bad as many other cars). Same when I open it. From the inside, the door handles on the VW feel as if they're made from metal - you're left in no doubt it's plastic on the Octavia. (Incidentally, those on our SEAT feel more robust). The slightest of frosts that make the door hard to open from the outside highlights another big difference - the exterior handles. Pull the VW handle and it feels like it's carved from granite. Pull the Skoda and... well to be quite frank it feels as if the handle is about to detach itself from the door - it feels cheap. Same can be said of the glovebox - VW mechanism feels like you could open and shut it all day without an issue - the Skoda is very cheap and flimsy feeling. I'll say the same for the speakers...  essentially it's the same headunit so any differences in sound come from the speakers. Std speakers in a VW are superior. The Dynaudio setup is lightyears ahead of the Canton. (with a price to match)

As I say there are lots off little details which make the VW feel a more premium product but whether that's worth an extra few thousand quid...  it's the buyers decision.

Ok I’ll bite.

I Don’t agree with much of that to be honest.

Doors close with a solid thud. Critical of the handles? Jesus they are standard VAG parts, number only differs for paint colours.

Glovebox - no problem with mine, robust for something opened probably once a week.

No issues with stock ICE, friends commented how rich it sounded last week when in the car for the first time-a bit of Royal Blood at decent volume.

Headlights are mega.

Anti Skoda?

Biggest advantage of buying Skoda is that you don't have to deal with the total arrogance of the VW Salesman!!!!!!!

With regards Martin Findayson, I'm pleased you were impressed with the Scout. We too traded our Octavia for a Karoq Edition 4x4, also in Velvet Red. Certainly with the Karoq, I have no complaints about quality. Unfortunately we miss the space of the Octavia so have now traded our Yeti 4x4 and are currently awaiting delivery of a new Scout (Corrida Red this time. £325 for Velvet Red on the Karoq seemed not too bad, but I can't go £900 on the Scout)

On 13 April 2018 at 16:10, Tim1631 said:

Must have hit a nerve, so easy to wind you muppets up ;)

What nerve? it just seemed a stupid comment with no relevance to the thread. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, KevC_Derby said:

Ok I’ll bite.

I Don’t agree with much of that to be honest.

Doors close with a solid thud. Critical of the handles? Jesus they are standard VAG parts, number only differs for paint colours.

Glovebox - no problem with mine, robust for something opened probably once a week.

No issues with stock ICE, friends commented how rich it sounded last week when in the car for the first time-a bit of Royal Blood at decent volume.

Headlights are mega.

Anti Skoda?

Someone who's just bought an Octavia mk3 Facelift is anti Skoda?   I just can't see your logic there I'm afraid.

What is it with people today?  One person accuses me of anti Skoda, another suggests my autofold mirrors are of no use and bought just to show off ??? :blush:  Perhaps it's the approaching heatwave that have made folk go a bit dizzy in the head. :D   

I've owned four VW's, the last being 8 months ago. We currently own a year old SEAT Ateca and a now 7 month old Skoda Octavia. Would have thought that qualifies me to make comparison and pass comment.

I'm genuinely delighted both you and you're friends are satisfied with your ICE, unfortunatley 'decent volume' in my car not only means the door trims rattle, but the sound quality goes to pot.