How far out can the offset be

prof3ssor

I’m wanting to put new wheels on my kodiaq when it’s built 

I’ve read the offset is 40 for the standard wheels on the kodiaq 

there are various vag group 5x112 alloys available to buy with various offsets 

my question is how far from 40 can I go and what will be the effects???

ive noticed the vega alloys in the sportline are 41 I offset  but they’re also wider wheels 

also whilst on the topic

standard Skoda tyres are 225

how much wider can i go ... does it depend on the width of the wheels ?

would these fit ? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132506026472

Thanks 

ps who would have thought changing wheels was so complicated 

D7428039-5B11-4C75-A7A9-3A67EC25453B.thumb.png.ecc24da0d6f23b6a8c91f55d77f6dc24.pngThabks 

I suppose it gave me an idea but I just don’t know enough to make a decision based on the pic it provided and the details ..

too much to risk on a brand new car 

Without a guaranteed answer 

Does Es anyone think this looks ok 

who do I ask for a definite answer 

Skoda will just  say go standard I’m sure 

If you know of a good place that does wheels and tyres, go and talk to them about it, they should be able to help.

I went to my usual tyre and wheel fitter to ask about some wheels I was looking at to buy.

The ones I was looking at had a slightly different offset, he was able to tell me how much the offset would effect everything.

Needless to say I bought the wheels, had him refurbish and fit them.

• 2 months later...

If you go 1mm out on the ET you will not notice the difference. With a smaller ET the wheel moves out of the wheel arch and a bigger number vice versa. With a wider tyre and a larger ET you may get some rubbing in the wheel arch. The MOT tester do not like this.

On a previous V70 this was a common problem. I used - I think - 12mm spacers to move the front wheels outwards, so effectively reduced my ET by 12mm. The car was as stable and no less agile than before.

With a larger diameter wheel your speedo will be slower.

• 1 month later...

On 18/07/2018 at 17:14, 26DIPP said:

With a larger diameter wheel your speedo will be slower.

Actually, it won't.. Or at least, it shouldn't be!

With a larger wheel, you use a lower-profile tyre, this then matches the total circumference of the new wheel+tyre to what was there before. Don't go more than 1% if you can avoid it.

The gearing effect will be larger circumference = slower acceleration, better fuel economy/top speed, and vice-versa. This all relates to tyre sidewall profile perfentage.

To the OP: In terms of how far out the offset can be, the one thing not yet mentioned(!) is that it is technically illegal to have the tyre tread sticking out past the arches. This refers to, in law, the tyre when viewed from above. Sidewall and wheel are permitted to be visible, tread is not. So that's your point 1. 

Working then back from there; this affects the tyre width you can put on the rim. If you have a 7J (approx 7") wheel, the bead of the tyre chosen must fit the rim; in this example, if you fit a 195 width, there would be minor stretch, a 205 or 215 fit well, a 225 will extend over the rim - the point being a range of tyre widths will 'fit' each wheel width. Needless to say of you were a stancer, you can go lower and add camber to cram unsuitable wheels into arches, but I get the impression you're maybe not ;) 

Important to remember in this is that wheel protruding from the arch will get kerbed more easily, but also will create a lot of drag, and adversely affect your fuel economy. 

So that related to ET and Width; if you go to www.wheel-size.com/calc/ you can have a play about and see. Measure your current setup and then see how much difference it makes. Using this sort of calculator is important as you may find that tyres are restricted in availability or prohibitive in cost if you go larger in wheel diameter and need odd low-profile rubber that's not common or is unavailable in a 'good' tyre.

Just changing something minor like ET and you're unlikely to encounter any issues at all, provided the tread is kept under the arches. 

If you're going for significantly wider wheels, you may actually need a higher ET (moves the centre of the wheel inwards) to avoid the illegal tread showing scenario - check then your steering arms and arches aren't going to rub on the inside/outside of the wheel under load/steering! Remember too that the rears are likely narrower in track than the front, and commonly set with toe-in, so measure the rear arch clearance at the back of the wheel; and triple-check the fronts on tread clearance. 

Unless you add spacers or wider (staggered) rims on the rear, they will almost always be narrower than the fronts. 

Physically if you space the wheels wider (lower ET) and use the same width of wheel/tyre; you'll find it harder to park, but should find more lateral stability in cornering, as well as less body roll in corners as you're increased the track front & rear, and moved more weight % inside the footprint of the tyres. 

1% can be the difference between Ooo & Ahh  or the Speedo still over-reading and 2.5 % might get a Speedo more accurate without under-reading.

As to the affect with a vehicle with 150ps or even more, again the difference between Ooo and Ahh, or sometimes just the change like with New Tyres via end of life tyres, 

or Summers vs Snow Tyres with the same size on the Sidewalls but measured side to side the Winter tyres taller the width wall to wall maybe narrower.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

Tyres protruding can be handy for touch parking and protecting alloys.( not illegal or unsafe prodruding, beyond the body or fouling body or suspension.)

That can be the beauty of Smaller Wheels and bigger rubber,

and the vehicle will still go round corners on public roads with tyres of the correct speed and load rating and legal treads.

*The Size of Wheel Tyre that the Manufacturers recommend are fitted for use with Snow Chains will perform OK at NSL's in the UK.

for those not wanting to go Wider.*

It is a Kodiaq in the OP's post not a Track Weapon being discussed.

Edited by Offski

I've never seen any "technical" article on the effects of changing wheel offsets on "normal" passenger cars.  What the acceptable range variation is another unknown and there will be the opinions of experts in car handling/setup and more importantly the car's insurer.  The effects (extreme?) of changing the wheel offset are detailed here https://www.racingaspirations.com/scrub-radius/