OBD Code Reader Recommendations

gman1967

Any recommendations for decent OBD code reader which would alloy to read and clear faults, that doesnt break the bank?

Will be wanting it to do brand new Octavia VRS diesel due in few weeks and missus 2007 Zafira diesel ideally...

Cheers

Grant

Anybody???

In absence of recommendation, anyone able to advise what reporting protocol any reader I do consider has to support (primarily for the Skoda Octavia VRS Diesel 2018)

Cheers

Grant

I use VCDS, it's designed for VAG vehicles so will show more useful error codes and allow better fault finding that a generic OBD2 reader.

It also can be used as a generic OBD2 reader to get basic codes/fault finding on other vehicles too.

Have a look at OBDeleven. inexpensive and you can upgrade to pro to do more stuff.

Not everyone has deep pockets for VCDS.

Autel scanners seem to be getting a good rep at the minute, how ever I haven’t used one personally. 

VCDS is the best diag tool for VAG based cars and is worth every penny imo.  

17 minutes ago, lupoluke said:

Autel scanners seem to be getting a good rep at the minute, how ever I haven’t used one personally. 

VCDS is the best diag tool for VAG based cars and is worth every penny imo.  

I agree. But we cannot all afford that kind of money.

OBDeleven has a good write up and seems good value to us peasants lol.

59 minutes ago, gman1967 said:

Thanks folks

Anyone any hands on users experience of the OBDeleven tool?

Cheers

I have one on its way in the post, hopefully have it soon. 

I'm just researching the OBDeleven now, appears it will allow me to turn off that infernal beeping when the tailgate opens, and a few other things :biggrin:

Got OBDeleven this morning.

As with all tech, you have to get into using correctly so read up and watch youtube clips 

I started small as its new to me.Checked for fault codes, identified the one i knew about. I have changed comfort indicators to 5 blinks and switched on mirror dip. Easy peasy.

Ability to long code too, with pro version.

Edited by scoobz
  • Like 1

So far OBDeleven has been excellent. once you have a step by step for what you want to do as, write ups for VCDS and OBDeleven are sometimes portrayed differently on the OBDeleven home screen. The waffle about buying or accumulating credits, ony applies if you want to use the coding apps. These are preloaded apps to code the most popular recodes. Basically its a one touch recode for whatever it is you want to change, without worrying about Bytes and Bits or Hex. ie; enable/disable cornering fog lights or enable/disable DRLs etc etc.

(PRO version) But if you have the correct pathway to your desired recode (module, byte/bit/hex) and are confident in your skills, its free after your initial, OBDeleven Pro purchase.

I have also just changed my headlight wash from every 4  to every 8 washes of the windscreen B) :dance:

Edited by scoobz

I got my OBD Eleven just before Christmas. I've used the built-in apps and the long-coding (I have the pro version) and not had any problems. 

There is a history of changes built-in so if something does go pear-shaped, it should be possible to roll-back. 

I used the apps to activate the dial sweep, HBA permanently on, heated-seat memory, and the long-coding to activate traffic sign recognition, code new led bulbs and turn on the second rear fog light.

I've found it really useful to use a separate tablet or laptop for reference when connected.  Switching between the app and a browser on one device can result in disconnection from the dongle; not great when half way through a long sequence of changes. The second device is also useful when looking for settings for modules that might be in German. I'm lucky, I speak English and German but some of the more obscure and technical terms can stump me.

The number of Briskoda members with a dongle is increasing all the time. You might be lucky and found someone locally that has one.