Fabia MK3 (2016) Stereo removal instructions

twonks

Hi all, thought I'd post this nice an simple walk through as there isn't a lot on the web and a few have asked questions on the Fabia mk3 stereo.

The display part of the head unit come out with insertion and pushing outwards of the four release keys.

As mentioned elsewhere, this is just a shallow depth screen and the main gubbins is in a single DIN package shown behind and to the left of the display.

IMG_0467.jpg.2928d7dc5e24e1d885830dff120d33cd.jpg

It is got at by removing the glovebox and removed by sliding in a tool and bending the plastic tray out towards the seats to release it out through the glovebox opening.

IMG_0468.jpg.9f29b03005d34e5fa94ac542101dcc59.jpgIMG_0470.jpg.a91dafd4ae4a9aff5f9d30e0643f7040.jpg

There should be enough slack on the connectors to allow it to be manipulated as needed.

IMG_0469.jpg.fc47bbbe44c447092c439ceee42b1f85.jpg

Refit is a simple push back in both the main unit and the display.

Hope this helps others, and I'll do a more in depth amp, sub and front speakers install instruction once funds allow for the amp.

Edited by twonks
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

@twonksDo you have a picture of the release keys you used? There are keys in different sizes and small differences in the release system, so a picture can help to find the right one. I own a set of interior tools even in the same blue colour, so that's  no problem. Thank you in advance for your help. (I want to add speakers in the back for my Fabia).

Sorry for the late reply.

I was told it should be like the smaller shorter keys, and they sort of work but couldn't get all four corners unlocked at the same time.

Ended up using some old longer thinner ones from a Ford I believe, which looked a bit like the other pic.

tool 2.jpg

tools 1.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, maybe it's a little off topic, but, I bought a used Bolero for my MY16 Fabia on E buy, cabels were not included. Currently I have Blues radio, so I will have to make a lot of chages to fit Bolero unit in, because I have plastic frame under the dashboard, were the radio is fitted, so the main unit can't fit at the moment, and there is no place where I can mounth it as is.  So I need to change that. ai presume that this plastic frame can't be bought seperatly, but anyway, can someone tell me this information. The min unit that I bought is MIB2 STD2/+nav, I have found cabel pack on the internet with that mark, but it says for Golf MK7 ect... Chinese guy insures me they fit. Does anybody have the idea if they do? Sorry for bad english, haven't written it in a while...

S90702-080544(1).jpg

• 8 months later...
On 20/03/2019 at 11:04, Isaacmoloi said:

Hi 

I've got the keys for the radio and managed to remove the interface display unit but can't get the actual main unit out, what tools did you use to get enough slack and get it out ? 

Hello Guy's

I am trying to remove the main head unit as well and it will not budge. I have tried pulling the plastic bracket out towards the seats but it almost feels like there is a catch somewhere that is still holding.

Unfortunately the front plastic face of the unit has unclipped and I cannot get it to clip back in place so I really need to get the unit out.

Can someone please help?

Thank you

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem, there are only two slots on the bottom and I can release this part but try as I might it stubbornly refuses to come out. At least min went back in okay. The DAB stopped working and I wanted to fit a windscreen type, I've used them in the past as a replacement and they've always been good. Can anyone out there help to resolve this problem of removing the fabia Mk III bolero radio please?? 

Hi Yaggiboom

I did manage to remove my head unit, I purchased a workshop manual. It is locked in place. You just need to use two of the removal keys that you used to remove the LCD display. Once you insert the keys, it comes out very easily.

Annotation 2020-05-14 075826.jpg

So where am I going wrong, I inserted the two keys, there was a click and the bottom of the unit releases, but thats where the problem begins, the top part remains stuck and no amount of persuasion allows the unit to come out any further than a mm or two. 

Thanks for the reply. I found the slots in the top, really hard to see, but the keys I have don't do anything along the top, they go in and there doesn't appear to engage with anything unlike the bottom one, they just go in the slots and do nothing. Totally frustrating. Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks

It takes a bit of feel to get it right, it is not as positive as the bottom, you need to make sure that when you insert the removal tool you press it so that it "presses down" onto the LCD display side body, in other words it needs to be paralell / the same angel as the display unit. Also make sure that you orientate the removal tools correctly.

1 hour ago, Stavax said:

I used this one

Car Radio Removal Tool Key by DIN Release Keys Set for Audi, VW VolksWagen, Mercedes Benz, BMW OEM Head Unit CD Media Player Pins | Universal Pin Stereo Hooks Tools (2 pairs) - Upgraded version by Keple
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y279C4M/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Hl6WEbJH5NQ68

It worked, the facia is now off. Now the tricky bit of dismantling the glovebox et al. I am trying to install a windscreen DAB antenna that has always worked on my other Skoda's. This one the DAB was fine to begin with and now it is totally mute, along with most of the VHF band too. 

Its done, it was a fairly straight forward job, however the passenger airbag now shows a fault, no idea why as all I did was unplugged it and plugged it back in. But thanks for your guidance on this.

Great, I am glad that you got it sorted. Did you switch your ignition on while the glove box was removed and airbag unplugged, because that would create the error and plugging the airbag back in will not clear the error, you will need a OBD2 reset tool capable of resetting airbag errors or go to your dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...