Any regrets?

Michael G

14 minutes ago, Michael G said:

I'm ignorant. What's a GPF?

Gasoline particulate filter.

I know they are coming but didnt think they were on the 1.5 already.

If you’re bored you can read all about them here...

https://www.aecc.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2017-AECC-technical-summary-on-GPF-final.pdf

Edited by TheRoq
  • Thanks 1

I find the 1.5 to be very responsive, better than the demonstrator I remember driving which only had a hand full of miles on the clock. I find it pulls very well and is pretty quick given the size of the car so a very happy bunny :biggrin:

• Like 1

First 500 miles done  love the car , getting around 33 to 35 mpg in town in eco mode, no regrets on colour metor grey just stays clean 

looking for longer than my last quartz grey yeti .

2 hours ago, cjrp said:

My only regret is that I've already kerbed an alloy  :crying: Still, it was going to happen sooner or later and now it's out of the way. 

We'll be the same once we've had the first carpark ding.

Meanwhile,  the furthest corner does us fine ;)

11 hours ago, TheRoq said:

Gasoline particulate filter.

I know they are coming but didnt think they were on the 1.5 already.

If you’re bored you can read all about them here...

https://www.aecc.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2017-AECC-technical-summary-on-GPF-final.pdf

Thanks.

2 hours ago, cjrp said:

My only regret is that I've already kerbed an alloy  :crying: Still, it was going to happen sooner or later and now it's out of the way. 

Had my Octavia 2 1/2 years before i kerbed my first alloy was absolutely gutted at the time, at least only cost £35 to get it repaired before I sent the car back, last few weeks on my lease were nerve racking in case someone pranged it !!

We've done around 400 miles in ours since I picked it up a couple of weeks ago.  Most of that was a weekend in Bath from London.  The 1.5 was smooth right from the start although not too perky, but it now feels looser.   The first thing I really noticed when I started driving it were the heating elements in the windscreen, but I don't really see them anymore now. 

I love...

The seats, really comfy on long drives.

The look, understated but smart. 

The manual gears, smoother than my Octy III. 

Panoramic roof. 

Auto adjusting drivers seat. 

Internal LED lighting. 

The ride height. 

There's not really anything I regret or dislike other than not adding a spare wheel, or the personalisation option which I assumed was included.  I'm really glad I ordered the heated windscreen and mud guards though, and got the Edition. 

Actually, there are a couple of things I'm not fond of, the lane detection when driving through motorway road works and they move the lanes across one, have to fight with the steering wheel as the car wants to stay on the original course.  The other thing was a lot of road noise on a particulate stretch of the M25. 

I cannot get the infotainment service to work via sim card yet either. And I don't know how you preheat the car in Winter but that was a big drawer for getting the Connect service. 

Looking forward to trying how the heated windscreen though. 

Ordered some snow foam for the weekend so I can give it a tender loving bath!  It's incredibly dirty with streaks running down from the windows, it's like it got sand in the creases whilst it was waiting for its Varioflex seats! 

Edited by Englando
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael G said:

We'll be the same once we've had the first carpark ding.

Meanwhile,  the furthest corner does us fine ;)

Had my first car park ding today!! Thank god for plastic bumpers! Wasn’t going fast as I was reversing out of a parking space and clipped a Range Rover!! Would have been mortified if i’d marked  my paint work ! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Englando said:

We've done around 400 miles in ours since I picked it up a couple of weeks ago.  Most of that was a weekend in Bath from London.  The 1.5 was smooth right from the start although not too perky, but it now feels looser.   The first thing I really noticed when I started driving it were the heating elements in the windscreen, but I don't really see them anymore now. 

I love...

The seats, really comfy on long drives.

The look, understated but smart. 

The manual gears, smoother than my Octy III. 

Panoramic roof. 

Auto adjusting drivers seat. 

Internal LED lighting. 

The ride height. 

There's not really anything I regret or dislike other than not adding a spare wheel, or the personalisation option which I assumed was included.  I'm really glad I ordered the heated windscreen and mud guards though, and got the Edition. 

Actually, there are a couple of things I'm not fond of, the lane detection when driving through motorway road works and they move the lanes across one, have to fight with the steering wheel as the car wants to stay on the original course.  The other thing was a lot of road noise on a particulate stretch of the M25. 

I cannot get the infotainment service to work via sim card yet either. And I don't know how you preheat the car in Winter but that was a big drawer for getting the Connect service. 

Looking forward to trying how the heated windscreen though. 

Ordered some snow foam for the weekend so I can give it a tender loving bath!  It's incredibly dirty with streaks running down from the windows, it's like it got sand in the creases whilst it was waiting for its Varioflex seats! 

I don't think the preheating auxillary heater is fitted in the UK.

14 minutes ago, dcdamo71 said:

Had my first car park ding today!! Thank god for plastic bumpers! Wasn’t going fast as I was reversing out of a parking space and clipped a Range Rover!! Would have been mortified if i’d marked  my paint work ! 

I need one of those rotating heads. Like her in the Exorcist.

18 minutes ago, Mark1982 said:

I don't think the preheating auxiliary heater is fitted in the UK.

As above, the UK cars aren't fitted with auxiliary heaters, although I'm sure they are fitted with supplementary heaters, which are a different bit of kit altogether. Auxiliary heaters are more for colder climate countries, and can be programmed to come on at set times before a journey, and use fuel for heating direct from the tank. Supplementary heaters are usually something like a ceramic heater which is part of the cabin heating system and is intended to give some heat almost instantly before the normal engine heating takes effect. At least that's the way I understand it ,and is as was fitted to my previous Kuga.

23 hours ago, TheRoq said:

Are they fitting GPF’s on the 1.5 already?

They are being phase in over the whole petrol VAG range (required for Euro 6d by June this year). As far as I know the 1.5 tsi has the same power as the old 1.4 tsi but is fitted witha GPF. The bigger engines are also being revised and fitted with a GPF but will have slightly lower power outputs.

I would be surprised if the 1.5 didn't have one.

This is what is happening with the Superb:-

Edited by bigjohn

On 19/04/2018 at 21:39, Bowdie said:

On the subject of regret, I thought I regretted buying Velvet Red and couldn't understand why I needed a panoramic sunroof in Central Scotland. Today the sun came out, the paint work looked stunning and we had the pan sunroof open, so all good really.

That's good to hear as it's still my colour of choice, though I've started to be swayed by the greys been talked about, even though the red attracts a hefty premium on the SE L.

I've been waiting a long time for a metallic red in a potential car purchase so I really should stick with it!

regrets? i wish:

1. Skoda got their pricing correct from release in 2017, Assistance Package 1 was £1200 across all trims, even the highest one had most of the features from this package, its still £1200

2. Skoda had outlined clearly skoda connect functionality and pricing

3. Didn't realise that brown is hard to maintain, once its dirty it looks very dull, other competitors have much nicer brown finish i.e. Nissan Qashqai and Peugeot 

28 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

I would be surprised if the 1.5 didn't have one.

i am pretty sure it doesn't, i did even search manual nothing stated there about such filter, look at 1.5 TSI emissions its not much improved, pretty sure with filter the CO2 figures would be less 

i would be happy if it did have it

11 hours ago, Englando said:

Distracting heating elements in the windscreen is my greatest fear!! Little bit worried now.....

2 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

Distracting heating elements in the windscreen is my greatest fear!! Little bit worried now.....

I dont notice them anymore.  It was only the first day I got the car.  You get used to seeing past them. 

4 minutes ago, Englando said:

I dont notice them anymore.  It was only the first day I got the car.  You get used to seeing past them. 

Thats reassuring - thank you!:thumbup:

In Skoda terms, Grey seems to be the new Black and I think in the model range Octavia, Superb, Karoq and Kodiaq, at least half of the new cars registered must be Grey. A Red one is much easier to find in the car park

but, as Vadimo has found with Brown, it does take a lot of looking after.

9 hours ago, OldKaroq said:

If they are like the ones on my yeti you cannot see them 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, solarfusion said:

Using the "soft" brush attachment on the hoover to clean the piano black plastic of the phone box cover... has left a small scratch. Soft cloth only from now on!

Oh dear. Haven't touched ours yet so copious notes made. Wonder whether one of the phone screen scratch removers would polish it out?