Sat nav update!!!!

Hi,

Got a 2014 1,6tdi SE Sport Spaceback and been to the local Skoda dealer today to get my sat nav updated and the only way they can do it is by the SD card update that you have to buy at £207. Apparently it hasn't been updated since it was new and that's the only way to update it. 

Not impressed as we've only had the car since Feb this year and it was 1 of the reasons why we went for the car..

We was up in the lake District last weekend and some of the roads wasn't even showing on the sat nav that's what made me want to update it but I can't justify paying that much :(

Do you have an RNS315 Amundsen?

You can get a (most probably counterfiet) card on eBay for much less - around £30 - 35.

That's what I did and it's been absolutely fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Skoda-Seat-RNS-315-SD-Card-Navigation-Sat-Nav-Map-V9-AZ-Europe-UK-2017-2018/123068451488?hash=item1ca7738aa0:g:0xIAAOSwUDBay8Jf - (just for example - can't remember the specifric seller we bought ours from)

• Thanks 1

The Lake district doesn't really sound like a part of the country that has "new roads".

Many owners have complained of this issue, but with the newer 2015 on Amundsen, minor roads don't show unless you manually zoom in  the display.

Re pirate cards, I have read that the POI's and other extras are apparently easy to update but the security lock is on the road network map itself.

Has anyone with a pirate card proved to themselves that "new roads" are actually on it?

Edited by camelspyyder

There is a newish bypass running from carnforth to Morecambe that we went on coming home and that wasn't showing on the maps, that was just showing going through fields but it's shows on Google maps, this is what made me think it's time to update the satnav

• Like 1

I know the road you mean, Gazr

I went the eBay route and bought a new SD card  for my Amunsden+ this time last year, moving me from v4 to v9, but that road is fairly new so not surprised it's not on mine

it was £45 at the time which seemed average - the ones which were cheaper were from sellers in Lithunia, Latvia etc which I wasn't sure about;  the seller i bought from was "factory_parts" but they don't have any items currently, though there is recent feedback.

in terms of its accuracy, the newer map did seem to have newer roads, compared to the older one, there are a few roundabouts i use which used to be junctions that are now correct, and it has the newer M74/M73 extension round the south of Glasgow, for example. 

Similar to that M6 bypass section, it doesn't show all the new bits of the M74/M8 interchange which was only completed last year.

Edited by Wet Kipper

16 minutes ago, Wet Kipper said:

I know the road you mean, Gazr

I went the eBay route and bought a new SD card  for my Amunsden+ this time last year, moving me from v4 to v9, but that road is fairly new so not surprised it's not on mine

it was £45 at the time which seemed average - the ones which were cheaper were from sellers in Lithunia, Latvia etc which I wasn't sure about;  the seller i bought from was "factory_parts" but they don't have any items currently, though there is recent feedback.

in terms of its accuracy, the newer map did seem to have newer roads, compared to the older one, there are a few roundabouts i use which used to be junctions that are now correct, and it has the newer M74/M73 extension round the south of Glasgow, for example. 

Similar to that M6 bypass section, it doesn't show all the new bits of the M74/M8 interchange which was only completed last year.

Once you have bought an update SD card once you've updated can you sell it on again or is it where you've got to keep the SD card in all the time?

Once the card is used in your machine it's worthless to anyone else. It digitally locks to that machine once you download and install the maps, so you don't need to keep it in the slot, but you can't use it in another machine.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rustynuts said:

Once the card is used in your machine it's worthless to anyone else. It digitally locks to that machine once you download and install the maps, so you don't need to keep it in the slot, but you can't use it in another machine.

So how are these people on eBay selling them if they're not copying the SD card and sharing the same map update? Or does it just apply to the SD card that you put in?

The people (pirates) selling them on Ebay are copying the data and protection encryption data from the manufacturers cards, and making "new" cards. This doesn't mean you can keep using them again and again, just means they're pirated cards which mirror the genuine ones.

• Like 1

It somewhat puts me off a car satnav (Have been investigating Karoq SE Technology which includes one). My Tomtom 5200 comes with free map updates for life, legal speed cameras(zone de danger in France) for life and very good traffic monitoring/diversions for life. Was with a friend in a car with built in satnav in an Octavia II (one of the last produced) and the Tomtom was much much better. I'm not keen on windscreen attaching of these devices thoughm however Brodit has a great mount for my Superb II

I use it every day driving to work - traffic is surprisingly accurate - saves me lots of time each week.

Edited by bigjohn

agreed - i wouldn't have an integrated Nav in a car now, unless it also had a free (or low cost) - and easy - method of updating.

I much prefer being able to use Waze / Google maps from my phone through Android Auto on my wife's newer car.

Edited by Wet Kipper
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Android Auto is simply wonderful. My parents have a 2017 Rapid Spaceback SE Sport, which has the factory Amundsen nav but no Smartlink. Using Android Auto in my Fabia is miles better than the factory Amundsen in the Rapid. I simply won't be buying another car without it. 

8 minutes ago, vc-10 said:

Android Auto is simply wonderful. My parents have a 2017 Rapid Spaceback SE Sport, which has the factory Amundsen nav but no Smartlink. Using Android Auto in my Fabia is miles better than the factory Amundsen in the Rapid. I simply won't be buying another car without it. 

Mine doesn't have smartlink, so how does android auto work with mine then?

9 minutes ago, Gazr said:

Mine doesn't have smartlink, so how does android auto work with mine then?

it doesn't. Well not with the car. You can still have android auto and your phone in a phone holder but to get it on to the head unit you need smart link