Burning smell

Hi,

I brought an 05 Octavia 2.0 tdi estate yesterday. Drove it back from work today and noticed a burning rubber type smell when I parked up. I had tried to turn the air con on while driving but it wasn't working. Read a few things saying it could be air con. Does anyone know if it could be this or something else and how to fix? 

Is your vehicle fitted with a DPF?

When you parked up, did you notice an increase in the idle speed - normally 750rpm, rise to 950rpm?

Did you notice if the fans stayed on whilst parked up? 

Was the smell near the rear of the vehicle? 

If yes, this would normally indicate the vehicle was conducting a DPF regeneration or at least it does in my vehicle. Loads of threads on here. Also have a shifty on Google. 

Edited by Guest
Text added for clarification

5 hours ago, Fin69 said:

Is your vehicle fitted with a DPF?

When you parked up, did you notice an increase in the idle speed - normally 750rpm, rise to 950rpm?

Did you notice if the fans stayed on whilst parked up? 

Was the smell near the rear of the vehicle? 

If yes, this would normally indicate the vehicle was conducting a DPF regeneration or at least it does in my vehicle. Loads of threads on here. Also have a shifty on Google. 

Could be the case.

The increase of the idle might be seen or might not - in case the regeneration has been done shortly before parking. Fans should be on though.

DPF Regen doesn't stop the A/C from working normally (or at least, it doesn't on our Superb)

I didn't think the 2005's had DPFs?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

DPF Regen doesn't stop the A/C from working normally (or at least, it doesn't on our Superb)

Maybe that AC was faulty regardless of DPF.

15 minutes ago, ChristheFish84 said:

I don't think the car is fitted with DPF tbh. I didn't even try to put the a/c on this morning on my way to work and no burning smell. I'm thinking maybe the a/c compressor could be knackered? 

Could be the belt has been damaged? They are rubber, so can perish over time.  Not sure the compressor would cause a burning smell as there's little/no electrics on it from what I remember when my Audi A6's A/C popped it.  Usually driven by an Auxillary belt.

I guess it could be different on the Octavia though

15 hours ago, hwr1983 said:

Could be the belt has been damaged? They are rubber, so can perish over time.  Not sure the compressor would cause a burning smell as there's little/no electrics on it from what I remember when my Audi A6's A/C popped it.  Usually driven by an Auxillary belt.

I guess it could be different on the Octavia though

The aux belt being damaged due to slipping on the A/C compressor (sounds like the freewheel clutch on the compressor pulley is seized on) would give a burning rubber smell

My 2005 O2 doesn't have a DPF either. As far as I know, only later models are with DPF (at least, on mainland Europe, LHD). Whats your engine code?

It can be the AC compressor. But as far as I know the O2 has a CVC compressor, which doesn't have a clutch which only kicks in when enabling the AC. With a CVC the AC compressor is running always (altough at very low capacity when switched of). Oil in the refrigerant should keep it lubricated. When you have a leak, refrigerant is evaporated, and without refrigerant the AC runs dry (and doesn't have much lubrication -> any oil in the compressor is likely to burn).

If the compressor completely fails, an internal pulley should break, causing the belt/pulley to run freely. So by default, it should't affect your belts.

If this fails, the belt will be running over an stuck pulley, and be already gone probably. I don't think the belt will last very long. Did you look for any signs? Both alternator and AC pump are usually easy to check if the pulley is running along the auxiliary belt.

But since you've just bought the car, i would suggest getting them to fix it.

BTW: are you sure the smell is rubber? A slipping clutch smells also just as disgusting :)

Edited by DJSmiley

• 1 month later...