Simple and effective phone mount

I recently purchased one of the simplest, yet effective phone mounts for my O3. It's called the Easymount Classic (http://www.easymount.at/en/). It's a small piece of metal, with bent prongs at one end which simply slide into a gap in the cabin trim. The mount has a couple of strong magnets between some rubber bumpers and you tape a thin metal plate onto the inside of your phone case which then limpets on to the mount when the phone is offered up to it.

In the short time I've had it I've found it holds my iPhone 6 in an Otterbox Defender case quite happily. I'd been thinking of making one for myself, but at ~£17, I figured this was worth a gamble.

76139EDC-1190-4B2F-8898-8E52371C15D4.jpeg

FF768CD1-2DE3-4116-B3DC-BEB833F43E28.jpeg

E5D2CD33-ED1A-4BD9-95D7-068057CB1797.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Similar to the Brodit brackets but without needing the 'phone specific' additional attachment.

10Len.jpg

Yes, and much cheaper! Also much more versatile in my opinion, as you can slot it in wherever there’s a gap in the trim.

Edited by wg100

That is an interesting idea for mounting the phone holder. I wish it's offered as an option on other phone holders. Personally I'm not a fan of magnet mounts or spring based clamps. The latter usually require 2 hands to install the phone.

I use this gravity based holder on the O3's airvents: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075YV977J/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's slightly more expensive, but has 3 benefits:

- no magnets to interfere with wireless charging

- easy one handed drop-in and removal

- Qi wireless charging built-in, so no need 2 hands to fiddle with wires

So what I do is open Audible and Waze on my way to the car, set up the entertainment and satnav. When I get in the car, simply drop the phone in and I'm ready to go. The phone is charging, cooled by the air-con and at perfect height. At destination, just lift the phone off the holder and be on my way.

What would be smart is if car designers fitted a magnet into the dash, all you would have to do it add a metal plate to you're phone or case and it would sit on the dash, just hilght the area the magnet is in by putting an logo on top of it, no more need for phone holders!

• Like 2

I have a magnet holder but I am not 100% satisfied.

The problem with magnet holders is that today modern phones are getting pretty large and heavy and magnets are not strong enough to hold them

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-CAFELE-original-Universal-Magnetic-Phone-Car-GPS-Holder-360-Rotation-Magnet-mount-Holder-For-iPhone/32754736015.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.kUco9Z

I have always used Brodit and they are great, not cheap though. Than I saw "SashaGrace's" post and got one of these

- https://www.amazon.co.uk/YOSH-Rubber-Magnetic-Tablets-devices/dp/B0746JM5PK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1524236177&sr=8-13&keywords=yosh+magnetic+phone+holder

Cheap but works well. My phone is cased so magnet is on inside of the case. Holds the phone really well. Seconds to fit and for £6.99 it's a steal.

Yosh.jpg

Edited by fergiet
wording
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toni8b said:

I have a magnet holder but I am not 100% satisfied.

The problem with magnet holders is that today modern phones are getting pretty large and heavy and magnets are not strong enough to hold them

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-CAFELE-original-Universal-Magnetic-Phone-Car-GPS-Holder-360-Rotation-Magnet-mount-Holder-For-iPhone/32754736015.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.kUco9Z

i have a magnet holder and it's been perfect for me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NBJ8VNN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so much so i got the missis one, she loves it too!

I don't generally use cases so magnets are a no-no. I've always used Brodit Pro-clips in the past, and they are still my preference but they don't really have a good solution for sharing a car between someone with a regular sized iPhone and someone with an iPhone+, something we do increasingly these days.

At the moment we've got one of these in the Astra:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072PSTMSJ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a bit like a Kenu Airframe or the many similar knockoffs except it has a locking tilt mechanism which is useful as the Astra vents flop downwards, but also generally lets you get a good angle when using the phone for Nav.

In the Octavia we just use the phonebox and either the inbuilt nav and BT streaming or CarPlay. 

Edited by uchuff

I have a general dislike of vent mounted phone holders. 

I find the magnetic hold of this mount to be quite good, though I’ve only got an iPhone 6.

I have always tried to have a decent phone specific holder or mount in the car, then after years of listening to the old modified holder squeaking and resonating I decided to buy a cheap one from a local pound shop. for £1.99 iirc, it has been in my 65 plate Octavia for the duration that I had the car and also its now in my 67 plate FL Octavia.

As you can see from the pictures, it blends in well when not in use and it holds the Blackberry and will also adjust to fit my Pixel XL no problem, even with a protective case fitted. Totally rattle and squeak free motoring for about 2 quid. No magnets to worry about not holding the phone over a few potholes.

There is one little modification that I have made and that is to add a bit of self adhesive backed foam to the bottom of the hold area to prevent damage/rubbing to the phone.

IMG_20180420_150532.thumb.jpg.f327f1d202d7ce7e305085c582ed77a3.jpgIMG_20180420_150551.thumb.jpg.ff2e169c7ed5f593316a7089660b73dd.jpg

• 1 year later...

Wondering if this will hold the width of the iPhone 8 plus in the same location as you have installed. Also are the magnets strong enough to hold? 

I have installed a temp one like this picture below.. Holds perfectly.. Downside is if a passenger is there then they keep kneeing the phone. Any issues since you have installed this?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2907.thumb.jpg.e471a2fe7ac11b5565e848912f923a90.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2906.thumb.jpg.74620fa45e076bbf71b257f5c2a430b2.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 09/07/2019 at 16:36, z klasse said:

Wondering if this will hold the width of the iPhone 8 plus in the same location as you have installed. Also are the magnets strong enough to hold? 

I have installed a temp one like this picture below.. Holds perfectly.. Downside is if a passenger is there then they keep kneeing the phone. Any issues since you have installed this?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2907.thumb.jpg.e471a2fe7ac11b5565e848912f923a90.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2906.thumb.jpg.74620fa45e076bbf71b257f5c2a430b2.jpg

Where did you find / bought the piece ( u shaped piece ) which you glued? 

Looks exactly what i need :)

5 minutes ago, Turbine13 said:

Where did you find / bought the piece ( u shaped piece ) which you glued? 

Looks exactly what i need :)

its a piece of cardboard from an Ikea box that I bent into a U shape and stuck this magnet. It holds an iPhone 8 Plus which is heavy in the first place along with a cover. Never falls off. You can use any cardboard and put double sided 3M tape underneath it and hold it with these clamps so it sticks well. Doesn’t damage the plastic as well incase you remove it. 

Just now, z klasse said:

its a piece of cardboard from an Ikea box that I bent into a U shape and stuck this magnet. It holds an iPhone 8 Plus which is heavy in the first place along with a cover. Never falls off. You can use any cardboard and put double sided 3M tape underneath it and hold it with these clamps so it sticks well. Doesn’t damage the plastic as well incase you remove it. 

Thanks for your quick reply :)

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 20/04/2018 at 09:54, wg100 said:

I recently purchased one of the simplest, yet effective phone mounts for my O3. It's called the Easymount Classic (http://www.easymount.at/en/). It's a small piece of metal, with bent prongs at one end which simply slide into a gap in the cabin trim. The mount has a couple of strong magnets between some rubber bumpers and you tape a thin metal plate onto the inside of your phone case which then limpets on to the mount when the phone is offered up to it.

In the short time I've had it I've found it holds my iPhone 6 in an Otterbox Defender case quite happily. I'd been thinking of making one for myself, but at ~£17, I figured this was worth a gamble.

76139EDC-1190-4B2F-8898-8E52371C15D4.jpeg

FF768CD1-2DE3-4116-B3DC-BEB833F43E28.jpeg

E5D2CD33-ED1A-4BD9-95D7-068057CB1797.jpeg

Is the stuff on your infotainment system like messages, audiobooks etc only available on newer Octaviia?

I have a 2014 1.6TDI Elegance and wondering if I'm missing out on an Android app, or something like it?

13 minutes ago, Muriel said:

Is the stuff on your infotainment system like messages, audiobooks etc only available on newer Octaviia?

I have a 2014 1.6TDI Elegance and wondering if I'm missing out on an Android app, or something like it?

That's Android Auto - on MIB2 infotainment systems which were factory fitted to cars made after May 2015.

37 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

That's Android Auto - on MIB2 infotainment systems which were factory fitted to cars made after May 2015.

Is actually Apple CarPlay. But yes, only available on MIB2 onwards.

• Like 1