Possible recall

stupra

Guys.

Im an Altea driver and a memer of their forum and a "sleeping" member of the Karoq site too, to glean and share info.

One of our guys has been told this. Early days yet but just for your info. See below,

Regards

Stu

Recall...

Unread post by Rinse » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:48 pm

Hi All,

Due to pick up my shiney new Ateca next Tuesday. I had a call today from my dealer today to day that he is unable to release the vehicle due to a recall on a fitted part that has been announced today across the whole VW group. 

Apparantly the issue is with the Signal Booster that comes as part and parcel with the connectivity hub and wireless charger. I have just been told that the fix is to remove the part from all cars in the VW group throughout the UK. 

I have since noticed that they have removed the wording from all the brochures - now they just identify the wireless charger (same price) but do not mention the signal booster or connectivity hub.

I called SEAT customer services and they told me "we have been advised not to discuss this until a formal announcement has been made". Just a heads up to anyone waiting - there may be a delay and anyone who has recently taken delivery may get the recall request to have it removed.

Will keep you posted if i hear anything further.
Ateca XCELLENCE 2.0 TSI DSG-auto 4Drive, Nevada White, Black Leather Upholstery + Digital Cockpit + Top View Camera + SEAT Sound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've read about this on the VWROC forum where owners to be are being told the same thing and having the feature disabled before the car is released.  Does anyone else on here think it might have something to do with GDPR which is being enforced across the EU from 25th May?  I wonder if the way that the signal booster works in the transmission of data is somehow not compliant with GDPR.  That's the only reason that I can think why there seems to be a blanket removal across the VW group.

Picking Up my Karoq Monday. The dealer says the modification was carried out on my car yesterday. I assume dealers will be doing the same for all unmodified cars not yet released to customers and there will be a recall for those cars already delivere to owners. I was told tHe  fault was causing overheating in some wiring, so was presumably a fire risk.  

Searching through various sites I found this on a SEAT related site, but if you check the last paragraph you will see the Skoda connection http://www.contracthireacar.com/blog/breaking-news-an-immediate-stop-made-to-deliveries-of-certain-models-with-wireless-phone-chargers

This does not seem to recognise any overheating issue.

I spoke to Skoda UK on Friday about the causes of this issue and any potential action to remedy in vehicles either already in, or about to start the production process. She said she would investigate and call me back. She didn't.

I would like to see much more truth and transparency from Skoda and from the dealers.

Edited by Persolus
typo

From talking to a couple of dealers, I’d say that they are as much in the dark as the rest of us. There’s various stories doing the rounds as to what the issue is. The only thing that seems to now be consistent is that it’s something to do with the mobile signal booster.

Edited by Jfhuk

Apparently the wireless charger also has a signal booster, however the signal booster has been discovered to not conform to an existing UK law so is effectively illegal.  Not sure which law it contravenes but UK has some fairly old telegraphy/transmitting laws still around

The solution is to disable the signal booster, (the charger can stay) as now the problem is known, knowingly selling an illegal item is a potential legal minefield.

Link may help general understanding, but I don’t know technicalities

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/10/ofcom-uk-approve-indoor-car-mobile-signal-booster-devices.html

My guess is that all the cars in transit, need the booster isolated,  as it is not meeting the exception conditions.  That way car is not illegal to sell and use.

Longer term will probably need changing to a compliant version (is it an advertised feature, if so car should either have it operational, or would potentially be entitled to compensation for missing spec)

Edited by SurreyJohn

Just had today’s handover of my car postponed because of this problem. The salesman told me that DVLA were refusing to tax my car until proof of a modification to the phone charger is provided. I don’t know if this is true, or if VAG have suspended all Karoq Edition handovers until the problem is fixed. Either way, I am seriously annoyed at yet another delay in getting my car. Skoda isn’t endearing itself to me, which is a shame, because I really like the cars.