Keeping No claims after "company" car

Neo_VR

To set the scene - up until recently, both myself and SWMBO had our own cars, along with our own insurance polices, as well as being named drivers on each others.

Now we have chosen to get a car through her NHS lease scheme, which includes maintenance and insurance for both of us.

Her car has now been sold, and she will be cancelling her insurance soon.

Come november, when my (lease) car goes back - then i will be cancelling insurance on that and we will both just use the one car.

The question is - we have both built up considerable amounts of no-claims bonus, around 15 years each. which im assuming will be lost during the 3 year period we have the NHS car.

Is there any way this can be mitigated?.. ive read that NCB "expires" if not used for two years.

So far the only thing ive come up with is to get another cheap car and each take out a policy on it? - or is this likely a false economy?

I had a company car for over 30 years and never owned a car during that time. When I retired and bought my first Skoda I got a letter from my company stating I hadn't had an accident for 7 years which was as far as they kept records. Some insurers were happy with this and some would not accept it. I went with LV who took my word for it and said they would only want to see the letter in the case of a claim. 

I suggest you you both get no claims proof from your existing insurers when you end your policies, these plus a letter from the NHS car scheme administrators, hopefully saying you have had no accidents, should provide useful when you are seeking a policy.

I have previously had a company car (albeit for only 3 years) and The company's insurance provided a letter to state I had no accidents during that time, as the normal time to lose your NCB after not having your own insurance is 2 years.  We currently have a Motability car, and I have now effectively lost my 9 years NCB from my personal insurance due to being on the Motability insurance.  However Motability have also said they will attest to my claims history if requested.

Yes, in  theory you can buy a cheap runabout in just under 2 years time, insure it, then transfer it to your spouse few weeks later, re-insure it in other name and re-set the No Claims clock

I think you don't even need to transfer it between you (which these days causes hassle of new tax (and losing overlapping month), if you arrange owner and spouse insurance (oddly these are often cheaper insurance premiums than just driver, due to way risk is seen)

You probably need to check when the NCB expiry is, and how long you need to hold it to reset the clock (might vary by company or policy)

Would have to weigh up cost of doing this versus the extra premiums of losing the No claims,

Also check at what level they would restart you if you could show a no claims letter from the company insurer (you may get part discount)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Sponsor
On 4/24/2018 at 09:30, hwr1983 said:

I have previously had a company car (albeit for only 3 years) and The company's insurance provided a letter to state I had no accidents during that time, as the normal time to lose your NCB after not having your own insurance is 2 years.  We currently have a Motability car, and I have now effectively lost my 9 years NCB from my personal insurance due to being on the Motability insurance.  However Motability have also said they will attest to my claims history if requested.

That's certainly true, we accept Motability 'bonus' under our En Route Insurance brand.

• Sponsor
On 4/24/2018 at 03:27, Keitht said:

I had a company car for over 30 years and never owned a car during that time. When I retired and bought my first Skoda I got a letter from my company stating I hadn't had an accident for 7 years which was as far as they kept records. Some insurers were happy with this and some would not accept it. I went with LV who took my word for it and said they would only want to see the letter in the case of a claim. 

I suggest you you both get no claims proof from your existing insurers when you end your policies, these plus a letter from the NHS car scheme administrators, hopefully saying you have had no accidents, should provide useful when you are seeking a policy.

That's certainly how we'd operate. We'd accept the company car letter as proof of claim-free driving.

Nick